i just got a weird feeling that some apps are being held back til after 2.0.. maybe thats when we will start seeing all the lovely apps we've been promised... but who knows.
    10-02-11 11:00 PM
    god hears you.
    10-02-11 11:30 PM
    If you look at the TuneIn thread in the Playbook Apps and Games section, there is a response someone received from TuneIn that seems to indicate or imply that their app has been held up for an OS update.
    10-02-11 11:36 PM
    We all have hopes for OS 2.0.

Android Player will be a deciding factor for many of the missing must have games and apps. Why re invent the wheel when they can re package.
    10-03-11 12:16 AM
    I sure hope so. I love my PlayBook but there's not much I can do with it besides the awesome browser that's keeping me busy at work for now.
    10-03-11 12:16 AM
    im gettin antsy just thinking about it
    10-03-11 12:57 AM
    me too.

I hope they release OS 2.0 on the first day of DevCon or the last day. My money is waiting for it to drop then I shall go out and buy one
    10-03-11 01:07 AM
    yeah thats something else i was thinking about too... dont tease us and show us all the great stuff and then have us waiting for another set of months to get it.. lol
    10-03-11 01:11 AM
    I have five apps that cannot be released until OS 2.0.
    Still checking out legality of releasing some of them.
    10-03-11 02:40 AM
    I have five apps that cannot be released until OS 2.0.
    Now that is interesting.

I believe, like many here, that OS2 will be make or break for the Playbook, but that's the first I've heard that RIM are actually holding stuff back so as to maximise the OS2 splash and turn it into a product re-launch.

Smart move from RIM (though I feel your frustration ) - maybe this means that someone in RIM actually understands marketing and there is actually a "plan"!

Fingers crossed!
    10-03-11 03:27 AM
    me too.

I hope they release OS 2.0 on the first day of DevCon or the last day. My money is waiting for it to drop then I shall go out and buy one
    I hope you don't miss out on the sale prices
    10-03-11 07:10 AM
    I sure hope so. I love my PlayBook but there's not much I can do with it besides the awesome browser that's keeping me busy at work for now.
    As for me that's basically why I have a tab,for browsing the web, everything else will be a plus added. So I could wait for the apps to come, there's no way I'm giving up on the playbook because there is nothing else out there that does it better... nothing.
    10-03-11 07:16 AM

Android Player will be a deciding factor for many of the missing must have games and apps. Why re invent the wheel when they can re package.
    Android player is not a good replacement for native apps. And the player will be limited in scope anyway.
    10-03-11 08:07 AM

Because we (I ?) do not want a bloody shambles, all-in-one-but-nothing-really-good-inside app store !
    wcor likes this.
    10-03-11 08:25 AM
    Android player is not a good replacement for native apps. And the player will be limited in scope anyway.
    Agreed. Note Alec Saunders' comment in Kevin's blog post about the new Developer Evangelist role: "Android App Player is a good tool to get an existing Android app onto the platform to test it out. But you can build apps that are MUCH cooler by going native. Developers who choose native will have an advantage."
    10-03-11 09:00 AM
    pr disaster, about as much chance of reviving the pb as raising the titanic from the bottom of the ocean. 'they should have waited'
    10-03-11 11:50 AM
    pr disaster, about as much chance of reviving the pb as raising the titanic from the bottom of the ocean. 'they should have waited'
    Perhaps, but I think they've just chosen to go after a different target market.

My theory is if you are that certain RIM is failing here, you're not really the type of customer they're focusing on...
    10-03-11 12:10 PM
    I don't see any disaster coming... RIM is a serious company, it is commited with Playbook and deserves respect and credibility, no matter the problems rised in the QNX development and marketing of product. ( Titanic ! OMG !)
    10-03-11 12:20 PM
    As a developer, I can tell you I have no interest in making apps for the Playbook until I know which ones will already be covered by the Android ones.
    10-03-11 01:40 PM
    If they don't get it right at OS 2.0 release, I'm calling this Storm3 and quitting RIM for good! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the BEST right now, but can't see waiting any longer than DEVCON for it!
    10-03-11 01:44 PM
    I don't want to pee on anyone's parade here .... but I'm getting the feeling that a lot of folks are preparing themselves for some serious disappointment regarding these supposed Apps .... no matter how many they release, people will still want more claiming that they are not quite the right Apps, etc... The iPad has an extensive library (most of which I find utterly useless) and RIM will never win that battle .... but that doesn't be-little the PB per say.

As far as I'm concerned, the PB is working just fine for me or at least for the use that I require. It will never fully replace the laptop ....we all wish it could, but face it, there are some obvious limitations to the PB - OS2.0 or not. Doesn't however mean that you can't enjoy the device .... which I'm doing daily !!!
    drjay868 and DPSydBerry like this.
    10-03-11 02:31 PM
    As a developer, I can tell you I have no interest in making apps for the Playbook until I know which ones will already be covered by the Android ones.
    As a consumer to a developer, please be advised that I'd much rather have a native version of an app than one that requires a 'player' to emulate another platform.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-11 03:04 PM
    As a consumer, I can tell you I will buy a native Playbook app long before I'll even look at an Android app that does the equivalent.

I want to support RIM; I want to support the Playbook; I want to support developers that create native apps for the Playbook. It's not because I'm a clueless fanboy....I simply believe that a unified, consistent ecosystem for my mobile communication needs will work best for me. And yes, I'm willing to pay a few bucks more for that scenario.

Maybe I'm way in minority territory with this view...it wouldn't be the first time I've been out in left field by myself. I don't care. Native apps or nothing.
    10-03-11 03:22 PM
    As a consumer to a developer, please be advised that I'd much rather have a native version of an app than one that requires a 'player' to emulate another platform.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    See, and here's the dilemma. It's a vicious developer-lack of apps cycle. I hope we can rectify this.
    10-03-11 05:32 PM
    Does anyone besides me wonder if these rumors we have seen about apps that are "waiting for OS2" are actually Android apps that developers are ready and waiting to compile and submit to App World once OS2 (with Android player) is released?
    10-03-11 06:28 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD