Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Ask me ;)

Well, I guess if they're going to announce anything about the PlayBook getting BB10 it might be on May @ the BlackBerry world conference..
    CrackBerry User

Agree roughly with those dates, apart from the EntryLevel phone.
    I don't think RIM will want to run with worse resolution or a downgraded chipset (the general features of the entry level phones)
    I suspect OS7/7.1 will live on in entry level land for at least twelve months.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

It's funny how people talk about "port" to the playbook, as if it was NetBSD trying to be available on the most exotic platforms. Or as if it was porting Linux to a game console, or Windows for the first time on a phone.

Those tablets and phones are all touchscreen devices, all totally made by RIM, know by heart by RIM and the first BB10 test phones even had almost the same hardware as the playbook.

In fact BB10 has been co-developed on the playbook from the beginning. It's already working. They won't release it at the same time for the playbook because they don't want to.
    iThamerBB likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,312 Global Posts

I think a lot of the hardware drivers are already written because they should be the same as with OS 2.1. Whether or not it will take time to hook them into the BB10 OS or not, I am not sure.
    As for screen resolution, I think it will be the 16X9 aspect ratio is the same so hopefully, this will be easy to do.
    You have top notch computer science people working on this so if it is designed with the correct techniques to enable the reusability of code, it could be an easy port.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts

bb10 is basicly "just" another QNX Skin/GUI, like the playbook gui right now.
    Playbook allready runs QNX fine, its the UI and apps that have the Problems and sometimes suck imo :P

If Rim would like to release bb10 the day they release it with the new phones they could. Sure the bigger screen would need a few UI changes, but i think they allready created bb10 with tablets in mind. Just because we havent seen it in tablet mode, doesnt mean its not there.
    CrackBerry Master

They will be able to re-use tons of code but they have designed BB10 for a different chipset than PlayBook is using so that is a big factor. Plus they are trying to get other phone models out so they may have to code for them too.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akb1116 View Post
    On a separate matter, anyone know if Verizon is slated to pick up BB10? Given their past flirtatious with BB, I'm almost sure of it, I'd just like to see if anyone has any definitive answers...thanks.
    Google has definitive answers. ;-) RIM gets BB10 boost from Verizon | therecord
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    If Rim would like to release bb10 the day they release it with the new phones they could.
    Sure they could, easily. All they would need to do is delay the release of the phones by about four months...
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Thanked by:
    howarmat (11-19-2012) 
    howarmat likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by rupam95 View Post
    So what's so different about OS 2.1 and BB10 OS that will take another 2-3 months for an update to BB10 on our PlayBooks?

"Although BlackBerry 10 will be the first smartphone OS based on the QNX platform, the PlayBook already uses QNX, which makes it an easy target for an update."

-Aaron

I just don't see why it would take 2 weeks or more for a PlayBook update. Unless RIM is run by 100-150 employees and can't multitask.
    Difference between 2.1 and 10 is 7.9. Simple math really.

10-2.1=7.9

I double checked with a calculator and I am certain.
    Pearl 8130 -> Storm 9500 -> Tour -> Pearl 9100 -> Torch 9800 -> Curve 3G -> Bold 9900 PlayBook (2.1.0.1032) -> Z10 and Q10. I need help.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12