So what's so different about OS 2.1 and BB10 OS that will take another 2-3 months for an update to BB10 on our PlayBooks?

"Although BlackBerry 10 will be the first smartphone OS based on the QNX platform, the PlayBook already uses QNX, which makes it an easy target for an update."

-Aaron

I just don't see why it would take 2 weeks or more for a PlayBook update. Unless RIM is run by 100-150 employees and can't multitask.
    11-17-12 11:45 PM
    they never said when bb10 for pb was coming out. For all we know, it could be available soon after the announcement on jan 31
    11-17-12 11:49 PM
    Either way looking forward to the new year.
    amjass12 likes this.
    11-17-12 11:58 PM
    You should expect normal RIM time so you don't end up disappointed. If phones launch mid February expect the PlayBook to get updated early May. Then if it comes earlier you will be happy. Another option is to just buy a BlackBerry 10 phone when they are released that way you don't have to wait at all
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    11-18-12 12:20 AM
    Nobody knows when it is coming.. Weeks or months..

I just don't see why it would take 2 weeks or more for a PlayBook update. Unless RIM is run by 100-150 employees and can't multitask.
    As far as I see it is not as simple as porting an app.
    There are going to be things like different processors, drivers for the various chipsets (The Dev Alpha runs on different hardware than the PlayBook), Stability testing, Modification to screen size and Landscape(?) etc.
    Maybe people do not see why it should takes months because they don't work in these companies and have no idea what it takes to put out a final release of a major OS update? Isn't it same with other companies (Samsung, Sony, htc, Motorola etc..) which takes months to put an OS update on a phone (Android 4.0/4.1 update from 2.3 is still Android..) and they are not even porting from a phone to a tablet (like RIM will have to) but just updating the same phone. And these companies are not even in as much pressure as RIM is.. And presently I really doubt if PlayBook is making any profit for RIM to concentrate on it in middle of their BB10 devices launch. IMO It is a great thing that RIM is even giving us a BB10 update on a 2 year old device most Android devices don't get those..

So I don't think we sitting out here have any right to comment on the competence of RIM (or any other company) or its developers for taking the amount of time it takes to put updates out..

But then that's just my thinking..
    petewell, bbfan1040, Qaxl and 6 others like this.
    11-18-12 12:23 AM
    While I agree that RIM needs to focus on the BB10 launch, am I the only one who thinks the PlayBook and new phones are part of the same larger platform strategy? Even when you look back at the original launch (forget about the critical reception for the moment if you can) wasn't the PlayBook positioned as a complement to BlackBerry phones then? That's what bridge was about and that was even further extended with subsequent updates. PlayBooks were the first QNX devices for consumers/businesses and I think they are still part of a larger BB10 strategy on RIM'S part. For all I know RIM has a dedicated team for the PlayBook and the BB10 transition. So I don't think it's being pushed aside totally. Having said that the BB10 port will happen when RIM wants it to happen as part of their strategy. So far, that hasn't been shared with us so who knows when it will occur. Perhaps at the time LTE PlayBooks are released in the US, I guess we'll see.
    11-18-12 02:34 AM
    Nobody knows when it is coming.. Weeks or months..

As far as I see it is not as simple as porting an app.
    There are going to be things like different processors, drivers for the various chipsets (The Dev Alpha runs on different hardware than the PlayBook), Stability testing, Modification to screen size and Landscape(?) etc.
    Maybe people do not see why it should takes months because they don't work in these companies and have no idea what it takes to put out a final release of a major OS update? Isn't it same with other companies (Samsung, Sony, htc, Motorola etc..) which takes months to put an OS update on a phone (Android 4.0/4.1 update from 2.3 is still Android..) and they are not even porting from a phone to a tablet (like RIM will have to) but just updating the same phone. And these companies are not even in as much pressure as RIM is.. And presently I really doubt if PlayBook is making any profit for RIM to concentrate on it in middle of their BB10 devices launch. IMO It is a great thing that RIM is even giving us a BB10 update on a 2 year old device most Android devices don't get those..

So I don't think we sitting out here have any right to comment on the competence of RIM (or any other company) or its developers for taking the amount of time it takes to put updates out..

But then that's just my thinking..
    Wow.

The customer has the right and the final word.

If you do not think I am right, check out how far RIM has fallen in the past to years.

Nice "high horse" your on there.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850d
    11-18-12 03:08 AM
    Wow.

The customer has the right and the final word.

If you do not think I am right, check out how far RIM has fallen in the past to years.

Nice "high horse" your on there.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850d
    My bad I didn't put it in the right way.. Customers have definitely the right to comment afterall they are buying the product.. But doesn't mean every customer knows what is going on behind the scenes..
    I meant it in the way that people shouldn't say the developers at RIM are incompetent without knowing what goes into the process as if it is just a 2 day job to port BB10 to PlayBook just cos they are both based on QNX..

And yes I'm dying to get BB10 on my PlayBook just as much as anyone else..
    kbz1960 and diegonei like this.
    11-18-12 06:12 AM
    Just curious, but will the BB10 phones still be able to bridge with the OS2.1 PlayBooks?

If not, there's gonna be some disappointed PB users at least until BB10 is released for the PB. I'm not too sure RIM really wants that to happen during their BB10 phone super event.
    11-18-12 07:21 AM
    Just curious, but will the BB10 phones still be able to bridge with the OS2.1 PlayBooks?

If not, there's gonna be some disappointed PB users at least until BB10 is released for the PB. I'm not too sure RIM really wants that to happen during their BB10 phone super event.
    It is a big selling point for PlayBooks so I would guess it will be there.. I think it has been already asked here.. No one gave a definite answer but almost everyone was positive that it would be there.. With new name or whatever..
    Pretty sure they will keep it..
    11-18-12 08:44 AM
    It is a big selling point for PlayBooks so I would guess it will be there.. I think it has been already asked here.. No one gave a definite answer but almost everyone was positive that it would be there.. With new name or whatever..
    Pretty sure they will keep it..
    So you think BB10 will be available on the PB on 30 Jan 2013 when the BB10 phones launch?

Or are you saying that the 2.1 bridge will work with the BB10 phones?

If BB10 is not on the PB when the phones launch, then there will be a gap of time where the bridge function may not be working. Hopefully there will be a patch or beta to allow bridge to keep functioning, or better yet, a BB10 for PB release with the BB10 phones.
    11-18-12 09:04 AM
    If BB10 is not on the PB when the phones launch, then there will be a gap of time where the bridge function may not be working. Hopefully there will be a patch or beta to allow bridge to keep functioning, or better yet, a BB10 for PB release with the BB10 phones.
    I didn't read the full thread so I might have missed this, but why would you say there will be a "gap of time" in that case? Are you saying you think there's some reason that the existing PlayBook bridge capability cannot work with BB10 phones? I see no reason they couldn't make a Bridge for BB10 phones which is compatible with the existing one, and is thereby compatible with the existing PlayBook Bridge feature.
    11-18-12 09:22 AM
    I didn't read the full thread so I might have missed this, but why would you say there will be a "gap of time" in that case? Are you saying you think there's some reason that the existing PlayBook bridge capability cannot work with BB10 phones? I see no reason they couldn't make a Bridge for BB10 phones which is compatible with the existing one, and is thereby compatible with the existing PlayBook Bridge feature.
    I was thinking that there would be a gap of time between the release of the BB10 phones and the release of BB10 for the PB where there would be 2 different OS's, BB10 and OS2.1. I wasn't sure if the 2 OS's would be compatible, therefore, I was wondering if the bridge would still work during that time. You're saying that it's possible to have a bridge update that will allow BB10 phones to bridge to 2.1 PBs, so I guess it won't be quite the issue I thought it would be.

Thanks peter9477.

Edit - actually I was hoping it would be a big issue. That way, the PB would have to be updated to BB10 at the same time as the release of the BB10 phones. Just wishful thinking I guess.
    peter9477 likes this.
    11-18-12 09:53 AM
    I was thinking that there would be a gap of time between the release of the BB10 phones and the release of BB10 for the PB where there would be 2 different OS's, BB10 and OS2.1. I wasn't sure if the 2 OS's would be compatible, therefore, I was wondering if the bridge would still work during that time. You're saying that it's possible to have a bridge update that will allow BB10 phones to bridge to 2.1 PBs, so I guess it won't be quite the issue I thought it would be.

Thanks peter9477.

Edit - actually I was hoping it would be a big issue. That way, the PB would have to be updated to BB10 at the same time as the release of the BB10 phones. Just wishful thinking I guess.
    Speculation on my part - if they can get bridge to work between pb's and the current older OS bb phones, I could suspect that they can get it working with the new bb phones. (am I giving rim too much credit?????)
    11-18-12 10:42 AM
    Although the bb10 update may be ready some time after the phones release (like a few months), RIM should not do this. a good strategy for RIM would be to make the bb10 platform available on the day they say they will release it.. and that means for every device that can handle bb10.... phones and tablets... making people wait for the bb10 on pb is gonna make the world think thats typical RIM and hence that bad feeling and untrustworthiness thoguhts towards RIM will continue..... and this has to stop...

but these are assumptions based on the past.... bb10 for the pb might jst b available when they say it will be released!! i hope it is!!!

besides they have had the whole production time to make it for the playbook as well....
    11-18-12 01:07 PM
    Although the bb10 update may be ready some time after the phones release (like a few months), RIM should not do this. a good strategy for RIM would be to make the bb10 platform available on the day they say they will release it.. and that means for every device that can handle bb10.... phones and tablets... making people wait for the bb10 on pb is gonna make the world think thats typical RIM and hence that bad feeling and untrustworthiness thoguhts towards RIM will continue..... and this has to stop...

but these are assumptions based on the past.... bb10 for the pb might jst b available when they say it will be released!! i hope it is!!!

besides they have had the whole production time to make it for the playbook as well....
    sorry but i dsiagree. There are maybe 2 million PBs out there and that is nowhere near enough to "cater to." The main thing they need to do is get the phones out. The potential sales is way more than 2 million and is first priority. The PB is 2 year old hardware at this point even adding bb10 to that is not going to make sales skyrocket. I dont think many critics will care that it doesnt get bb10 right away. They will care that RIM has released the new phones with a new and hopefully complete OS. They care that they delivered somewhat on their targeted timeline too and that it was not once again delayed.
    peter9477 likes this.
    11-18-12 01:23 PM
    sorry but i dsiagree. There are maybe 2 million PBs out there and that is nowhere near enough to "cater to." The main thing they need to do is get the phones out. The potential sales is way more than 2 million and is first priority. The PB is 2 year old hardware at this point even adding bb10 to that is not going to make sales skyrocket. I dont think many critics will care that it doesnt get bb10 right away. They will care that RIM has released the new phones with a new and hopefully complete OS. They care that they delivered somewhat on their targeted timeline too and that it was not once again delayed.
    isnt RIM a huge company... i dont really believe that they would be so tight on resources and staff that they cant have people working on it side by side with the bb10 phone... i mean how many people do they employ... they are not small software company.. it is RIM....

and while it is about sales i agree with you adding bb10 on the pb wont make sales skyrocket as much they need to release the phone asap. but announcing bb10 on jan 30th should mean they are doing exactly that.... saying this is bb10 and itll be released on this date... for phones and tablets... not on this day for phones... and in 6 months for the pb.... while like you said its not a priority for RIM.. the consumer doesn't want that.... i dont... i dont know about you... but its these kinda things that make people go elsewhere...
    11-18-12 01:40 PM
    isnt RIM a huge company... i dont really believe that they would be so tight on resources and staff that they cant have people working on it side by side with the bb10 phone... i mean how many people do they employ... they are not small software company.. it is RIM....

and while it is about sales i agree with you adding bb10 on the pb wont make sales skyrocket as much they need to release the phone asap. but announcing bb10 on jan 30th should mean they are doing exactly that.... saying this is bb10 and itll be released on this date... for phones and tablets... not on this day for phones... and in 6 months for the pb.... while like you said its not a priority for RIM.. the consumer doesn't want that.... i dont... i dont know about you... but its these kinda things that make people go elsewhere...
    i guess you have missed the continued layoffs they had. They cut over 5000 jobs atleast within the last year. Sure they are a big company but they have devoted most everyone they have to making sure the phones get released on time and such.

I am not saying they wont have a release timeframe for bb10 on the playbook on Jan 30th. I think many people hope they can atleast give a general timeframe like beta for bb10 in march and full release in April. To me that is reasonable since they have said all along for many months that bb10 for the phones comes first with bb10 for the PB sometime after phones are out.

And you are correct many people will go elsewhere but honestly they already have. That is why only 2 million PBs have sold in the last 1.75 years. I want BB10 on the PB, everyone does but I want BB10 on the phones more because RIMs entire future is on the line with that.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-18-12 03:28 PM
    i guess you have missed the continued layoffs they had. They cut over 5000 jobs atleast within the last year. Sure they are a big company but they have devoted most everyone they have to making sure the phones get released on time and such.

I am not saying they wont have a release timeframe for bb10 on the playbook on Jan 30th. I think many people hope they can atleast give a general timeframe like beta for bb10 in march and full release in April. To me that is reasonable since they have said all along for many months that bb10 for the phones comes first with bb10 for the PB sometime after phones are out.

And you are correct many people will go elsewhere but honestly they already have. That is why only 2 million PBs have sold in the last 1.75 years. I want BB10 on the PB, everyone does but I want BB10 on the phones more because RIMs entire future is on the line with that.
    well im not going anywhere! and im not bashing... but rather hoping RIM would do the things that make people talk about the company and go there as oppose to move away...

i fully accept that all resources are focused on releasing the bb10 on the mobile platform... so priorities come first...but i do hope that after this, RIMS updates are both on time and side by side for both tablet and phone.... people should know how awesome the tablet is also!!!

anyway... like somebody elses thread started.. 'just that christmas thing to get through'!! ahahahahha... come on jan 30th!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-18-12 04:15 PM
    I have been a Senior Software Engineer for Schlumberger. You obviously have
    never been in the kitchen or the front lines. Doc Neutron
    11-18-12 05:54 PM
    I'm with the people who think the release of BB10 for the PB will be quite soon after the new phones come out. How about this for speculation:

Jan. 30th: Announcement Of Release Dates
    Feb. 1st: All Touchscreen BB10 phone released
    Feb. 15th: Physical keyboard BB10 phone released
    March 1st:. BB10 upgrade for all PBs
    March 15th: Entry-level BB10 phone

These specific dates are of my own speculation, but wouldn't it be sweet if the Jan 30th announcement would include a table of dates like this?
    11-18-12 06:20 PM
    I get that there is a lot of tweaking to get the version of BB10 that is being written for the phones to be rewritten for the PB. Most if not all the hardware components are different so the "drivers" all have to be different. When you look at the swipe gestures in the BB10 demos and compare them with the existing gestures on the PB OS 2.1, clearly that is a lot of programming that needs to be rewritten.

But still, getting this done has to be a priority because the PlayBook and its successors are meant to be a strategic part of rebuilding the BlackBerry brand.
    11-18-12 06:28 PM
    I'm with the people who think the release of BB10 for the PB will be quite soon after the new phones come out. How about this for speculation:

These specific dates are of my own speculation, but wouldn't it be sweet if the Jan 30th announcement would include a table of dates like this?
    If this is true, than Playbook will be one of 7 inch tablets that most search at March. Because all new playbook stock is empty.

I wonder if this happens next.
    11-18-12 06:57 PM
    Honestly I'm not too concerned with how long it takes, just so long as it happens. The eventual update to THE TEN wasn't a selling point for me when I got the tablet...I just wanted the Bridge functionality with my 9550 I had acquired. I didn't even know of the prophesied update until several days after having the tablet. On a separate matter, anyone know if Verizon is slated to pick up BB10? Given their past flirtatious with BB, I'm almost sure of it, I'd just like to see if anyone has any definitive answers...thanks.
    11-19-12 01:25 AM

this seems a bit too optimistic for me. Heins said the 1st phone will be released within 30 days of the launch event. so thinking L will be released near the end of february, N in March, Playbook BB 10 maybe a few months later. But God i hope you're right.
    11-19-12 02:05 AM
34 12