View Poll Results: How Satisfied Are You With the 2.0 OS?

Voters
846. You may not vote on this poll
  • Exceeded my expectations

216 25.53%
  • Met my expectations

359 42.43%
  • Somewhat Underwhelmed, but like the native e-mail, calender, etc.

157 18.56%
  • Disappointed - Could have been better

89 10.52%
  • Total FAIL

21 2.48%
  • I Don't Care - I will look elsewhere for my communication/tablet needs

4 0.47%
    Uh, not really... $10-20 to "buy" a single movie... many with no "rent" option? Yeah, that's better than a flat $8/month.

I saw Babylon 5 was in there, and thought I might check it out. $2 per episode to "rent". So season one alone would just be $46.
    Yep, who needs NetFlix?
    02-21-12 10:10 PM
    Seems to be, those who understood exactly what to expect from OS2, and knew what was coming, ran the beta's, watched the videos, got (for good reason) very very excited about it...
    Those who didnt know what to expect and didnt know much about it, saw the excitement of the people above and overhyped it in their minds. which always leads to disapointment
    Sorry Tomcat but I find your statement above not to be true.

I have followed closely being from the first pb owners only about a month of the pb coming out and the waiting has been too long. I adore my pb and has served me greatly but was not delivered as promised, something that was a deciding factor (the promises) on the buy.

I have been on the wait with lots of expectation and lots of faith, not coming out of my mind but out of promises made by RIM, but no-one told us that native contacts and email would not be integrated to our BB phone or outlook, they presented it as seamless integration...we are not all making this up now are we???.

This for me is a huge let down. Also we were told that the new laguages packs would be there and guess what: the interface works in new languages but eventhough I see the menu in my local language, I cannot type in my so expected local language because the keyboard will not switch from english. I call this underdeliver I am sorry and it has direct impact on my business use of the "First professional grade tablet" sold to me....about a year later....

While the browser and some other functions are greately improved, I find that PIM and language constitute a great drawback in their execution and do not meet not the expectations created but the promises given. When I see these fixes coming and that should be soonest than sooner *as opposed to later, then I will give thi update a 5* as opposed to my dissapointment now.
    skynny70 likes this.
    02-22-12 06:50 AM
    How come 99% of the negative comments in this thread are from people that dind't get their favourite/can't-live-with-out-it/must-have/mandatory/other-tablets-have-it/I-want-it-so-bad-just-because/etc. App.??? What is wrong with you people?

Can't generate a document with DocsToGO? Use a computer. Always on the move? Buy a Netbook, it's cheaper and comes with a real keyboard (with an ESC key included (amazing what people want these days)). Don't like a Netbook? Use pen and paper, as simple as that. Tablets are just tablets, they are a tool that helps, not a tool that replaces the standard computer, and its going to be a long time before they do. If you want to do everything you do on your computer with a Tablet (any) then buy a computer, and stop whining about why they didn't include the virtual keyboard with the super special keys, you so much love.

Don't find the apps you like? Live with it or change platforms;your choice. Frankly the probability that 70%+ of users need one particular app (and RIM actually puts it in there)is just as small as your ability to actually write a good, un-biased review of the new OS. Didn't get your bible reading app? Get a real Bible! No NetFlix? Load your own movies. Can't play your favourite/ultra-pro/nobody-heard-about-it extension file? Use the most popular ones. No Skype? Blame Skype not RIM.

As for contacts and Calendar sync from your BB phone, you have the Bridge for that. Don't want to use it? Your problem, not RIMs. But hey wait, you didn't ask youserlves why do you actually need to have the same information in two devices that you will actually carry around TOGETHER everywhere you go. Need to write an email to a contact on your phone, use the phone. Want to use the PB? use the Bridge. Oh but hey, it's 2012 and now everyone needs it to be extra-super-dupper lightning fast, inmediately available and of course the thing needs be a one-touch-only process, so that if you require a little more work it's just a POS or a FAILED product.
    02-22-12 07:43 AM

2. A caps lock on the keyboard (double tap the shift key RIM if you're watching this).
    Oh please... RTFM !!

Caps lock has been there for as long as the PB exists... hold the shift key for 2 seconds and you'll be in caps lock... (sigh...)
    ahsomsid and alnamvet68 like this.
    02-22-12 11:50 AM
    i put met expections, being able to side-load kindle, dropbox, plus some other misc android apps is nice, and the remote feature from bridge is really cool.

however i am disappointed that the notification LED only works with native email, not when bridged, as well as you cannot create folders for bookmarks in the browser, and the almost 3 minute boot time (i timed it) is completely unacceptable - good thing i'm never in that much of a hurry.
    02-22-12 12:06 PM
    you can only please some of the people some of the times, kinda scary ain't it.... Well, for 1 I am happy with the update, it works for me. As for the apps that are always mentioned, Skype, netflix, I can live without them. But to those that really want them, one bit of advice. Please contact Netflix and Microsoft for these products. they wont come unless there is a demand. For every post in these forums for people wanting them, the app owners could have been emailed to prove a demand for their product on this platform. But I do understand it is easier to complain in the forum, but please put some of that energy to writing, calling or picketing the owners of the apps, to get what you want...with that energy behind you, you may just get it.

Now go and enjoy OS 2.0 it is only the beginning...
    02-22-12 12:21 PM
    What do you think it will take to change the way people view the PB?
    1. RIM executives need to stop hyper-marketing basic functionality
    2. Deliver on some of the promised features: PDF Reader, DLNA, Kindle, Skype
    3. Sort out the mess of Activesync + Google to import data into native calendar
    4. Fix the obvious glaring bugs that people keep writing about on forums NOW

It's hard to believe they took 10m to deliver OS2 and this is all they have added.
    Great hardware - Sound and Size. Lack of software and BS marketing is killing PB.

Ken
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-22-12 12:46 PM
    Have to agree with Ken (his points are at the bottom of this post)

I am disappointed in OS2 because it still doesn't live up to the original expectations that were set by RIM

A big reason for me originally purchasing the PlayBook was the DLNA promise - I am disabled and last year spent quite a lot of time bedridden - I borrowed a friend's iPad so I could convalesce in bed and stream movies from my Western Digital MyBookLive (btw - it's seamless, really easy to set up and has good video quality). Why didn't I buy an iPad then? Because the iPad is too big and heavy for me (and I'm a long time BlackBerry user, so I assumed that the PlayBook would be quality all the way, and do all it was advertised/hyped to do). Has DLNA arrived on the PlayBook yet?... nearly a year after all of the marketing guff?... Nah, still no DLNA.... Grrrr

The biggest *single* reason for me buying the PB was so I don't need to carry a laptop around (again - this is because of my disability - I need something small and light) - yet the PB email is still poor and doesn't meet my reasonable expectations (eg there is better email functionality on my Bold!)

Something that is v good for me with the PB, is being able to present PowerPoints on an HDMI projector - now that I can use my Bold as a clicker (eg click fwd & back for the slides) I am much happier as I no longer need to lean over the lectern, and click on the screen.... (of course, this has taken 8 months to appear after I originally purchased the damn tablet....)

Where are all these Android apps we were promised? I would love to be able to play scrabble on the PB

WHERE IS SKYPE?? I am certain that I saw a clip last spring of an RIM Exec waffling on about skype on the PB - still no skype and still can't find any info on how to run the Android skype on the PB

Apologies for the rant, I'm still feeling cheesed off by RIM for over-selling (mis-selling?) the product in the first place

Hope the rest of you are happier than I am!

Alex

PS It has great h/w - why didn't the manufacturer put the same amount of effort in getting some great s/w developed at the same time.....

Ken's (4) points below:
    1. RIM executives need to stop hyper-marketing basic functionality
    2. Deliver on some of the promised features: PDF Reader, DLNA, Kindle, Skype
    3. Sort out the mess of Activesync + Google to import data into native calendar
    4. Fix the obvious glaring bugs that people keep writing about on forums NOW
    It's hard to believe they took 10m to deliver OS2 and this is all they have added.
    Great hardware - Sound and Size. Lack of software and BS marketing is killing PB.
    Ken
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 02-22-12 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo's - poor prose
    02-22-12 01:09 PM
    How come 99% of the negative comments in this thread are from people that dind't get their favourite/can't-live-with-out-it/must-have/mandatory/other-tablets-have-it/I-want-it-so-bad-just-because/etc. App.??? What is wrong with you people?

Can't generate a document with DocsToGO? Use a computer. Always on the move? Buy a Netbook, it's cheaper and comes with a real keyboard (with an ESC key included (amazing what people want these days)). Don't like a Netbook? Use pen and paper, as simple as that. Tablets are just tablets, they are a tool that helps, not a tool that replaces the standard computer, and its going to be a long time before they do. If you want to do everything you do on your computer with a Tablet (any) then buy a computer, and stop whining about why they didn't include the virtual keyboard with the super special keys, you so much love.

Don't find the apps you like? Live with it or change platforms;your choice. Frankly the probability that 70%+ of users need one particular app (and RIM actually puts it in there)is just as small as your ability to actually write a good, un-biased review of the new OS. Didn't get your bible reading app? Get a real Bible! No NetFlix? Load your own movies. Can't play your favourite/ultra-pro/nobody-heard-about-it extension file? Use the most popular ones. No Skype? Blame Skype not RIM.

As for contacts and Calendar sync from your BB phone, you have the Bridge for that. Don't want to use it? Your problem, not RIMs. But hey wait, you didn't ask youserlves why do you actually need to have the same information in two devices that you will actually carry around TOGETHER everywhere you go. Need to write an email to a contact on your phone, use the phone. Want to use the PB? use the Bridge. Oh but hey, it's 2012 and now everyone needs it to be extra-super-dupper lightning fast, inmediately available and of course the thing needs be a one-touch-only process, so that if you require a little more work it's just a POS or a FAILED product.
    +1 totally agree...OUTSTANDING!!!!
    RicThot and Yemson like this.
    02-22-12 01:18 PM

LMFAO!!!!!! I finally got an understudy. Should I get banned again you can carry on with my disorderly conduct and ribauld humor while I'm on sabbatical.
    02-22-12 01:20 PM

Next time my competition needs a new sales manager/rep or head of marketing, can I refer you to them as a viable candidate?

- R.
    BigAl_BB9900 and Yemson like this.
    02-22-12 01:21 PM
    RIM's core base is still the professional user, and they're trying to leverage that into the consumer space. The vast majority of business users use Outlook and huge numbers of consumers do as well. That's likely why Berries sync with all 4 Outlook components - Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, and Memos. As an aside, these strong Outlook hooks are a differentiator for Berries - Android and Apple don't sync as well.

To hype the new native PIM - which looks great BTW and has me drooling - without allowing for the sync to an extremely mainstream desktop PIM app is a real oversight. Expecting they would have this capability is quite reasonable, especially since DM has had it for years.

Anyone who uses Outlook a lot will find the value of the new PIM stuff almost zero until there is a straightforward DM sync. RIM aimed and fired a very strong bullet at the competition - then stepped in front of it. Personally, I'm disappointed in OS2.0 because of this.

Hopefully they'll fix this stat.

- R.
    skynny70 likes this.
    02-22-12 01:28 PM
    Anyone who uses a BlackBerry phone will find the value of the new native PIM apps to be almost zero...

Anyway, my rant for the morning is about the -poor file management. I have about 100 various PDF files stored on my PlayBook, organized in folders. Opening Adobe reader to view these files takes me to one giant list of files. If I'm in a meeting, I can't simply put the 5 documents that I need into one folder and only see those, I have to go up and down the whole list of 100 documents to get to the one that I want.

Terrible.
    02-22-12 02:23 PM
    I just love this update, and look forward to what's up and coming. As expected the media continues to enjoy being the Apple's school yard bully

Http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe...ls-to-impress/

So tired of industry slant
    02-22-12 02:30 PM
    Can't generate a document with DocsToGO? Use a computer. Always on the move? Buy a Netbook, it's cheaper and comes with a real keyboard (with an ESC key included (amazing what people want these days)).
    I don't usually engage in this sort of arguments. They are pointless. But I just can't agree with these arguments and the tone of your post urges me to explain why.

A tablet is a computer (this is a growing feeling and much now see Apple as one of the biggest computer manufacturer as a result). ARM cpus are capable of much and the Playbook has hardware for a lot more (that is if developers abandon resource hog languages just because they are easier/quicker to code with or pointless eye candy /animations). Here's an example of a fully featured office suite that rivals with that of a desktop and runs in devices with less of a quarter of the specs of the Playbook.

Documents to Go under iOS and Android is more feature complete than under Tablet OS. More functions in Docs and Sheets and the ability to create presentations. Having at least the same features seems only reasonable. Also according to Dataviz (the company behind the suite) the version in the Playbook is full responsability of RIM (so we can't even blame 3rd party developers on this one).

The discrepancy with the iOS and Android versions also applies to Adobe Reader.

These are some of the most essential professional usage apps that fall behind other platforms counterparts and that are bundled in that which was bragged as "the first professional grade tablet".

I also find this barrage of angry post excessive but seeing how I feels myself I can somewhat understand users who have waited 10 months to get what was advertised when they first purchased their devices.

Anyway, my rant for the morning is about the poor file management. I have about 100 various PDF files stored on my PlayBook, organized in folders. Opening Adobe reader to view these files takes me to one giant list of files. If I'm in a meeting, I can't simply put the 5 documents that I need into one folder and only see those, I have to go up and down the whole list of 100 documents to get to the one that I want.
    A 3rd party file manager will help you on this one (if you don't already use one). You'll have to switch between the reader and the file manager to select and open the file but that's about the same thing as going to the default browser. I've been using Air Browser ever since I got my PB and find it quite useful (it's also completely free... not a trial or crippled lite version). A worthy temporary patch (until Adobe delivers the goods) and a big upgrade on the Playbooks native "file manager".
    Last edited by joaosousa; 02-22-12 at 05:05 PM.
    02-22-12 04:00 PM
    I voted underwhelmed, but that's not quite the case. The one small feature I would like to see improved is a more intuitive way to do a mass delete in the native email client. A friend told me how to do this, but it required a little bit of tinkering to find it. That, and the fact that I get double notifications from Bridged emails and native email are just small irritants to me. Otherwise, I really like this OS so far.
    02-22-12 06:46 PM
    I downloaded and installed last night. It appeared to be 400MB which surprised me. I thought it would be considerably larger. It's amazing how much sw code is in 400MB. it downloaded and installed in about 15 minutes. I'm learning as I go and so far I really love some of the format. I noticed right away the addition of numbers on top of the qwerty keypad in some apps. Major improvement. I still like the BB Bridge so much I haven't added my e-mail and contacts yet.

App World certainly came to life.
    I don't see a way to edit bookmarks though, was hoping for that, unless I'm just missing how.
    The windows are much improved, with the large 'X' bottom right.
    As a Mac user, no Print ToGo unfortunately.
    So Far so great! Only one browser crash and the page loading is definitely improved!

I suspect now that the new OS platform has been kicked off we will see a number of continuous improvements along the way.
    02-22-12 07:11 PM
    buggier than ever. here's to hoping for....3.0?! what a joke. looks like i'm going to have to buy...ouch...an...ipad...
    02-22-12 07:58 PM
    buggier than ever. here's to hoping for....3.0?! what a joke. looks like i'm going to have to buy...ouch...an...ipad...
    What bugs are you seeing? Tell us what they are, and others can check to see if the same occurs. It is possible something went wrong on your install or a possible HW issue.
    02-22-12 08:07 PM
    What bugs are you seeing? Tell us what they are, and others can check to see if the same occurs. It is possible something went wrong on your install or a possible HW issue.
    Don't bother asking. Another one of about 20 newbies who have just signed up to bash the PB. Read all seven of this guy's posts....none are flattering, and all are denigrating everything BlackBerry.
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-22-12 11:28 PM
    Many noobies sighning up lately because of the playbook and don't have a fecking clue about how everything works sigh.
    Then bashing and such so on. Seems they don't need any help at all..
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-22-12 11:33 PM
    So, for those who may have had a knee-joik response to OS 2.0 on day 1, and voted fail, have you changed your opinion/observations after almost 1 week of learning the new OS?
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 02-27-12 at 08:33 AM.
    02-27-12 07:38 AM
    Many noobies sighning up lately because of the playbook and don't have a fecking clue about how everything works sigh.
    Then bashing and such so on. Seems they don't need any help at all..

Yep, and it's getting worse.
    04-02-12 03:18 PM
    Still happy with OS2 just as I was with OS1. I must be nuts.
    04-02-12 03:22 PM
174 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD