Hi all,

I put a load of video files onto my PB the other day and they were all nicely organised in separate folders. When I went into the videos folder it just listed them all down in a big jumble.

Same happened with my ebooks and pdf's that I had organised into author and genre folders but when I go into the file manager they are just there in a big list and no sign of any folders?

Am I missing something here? (I am a bbpb newbie after all or is this a bit of an oversight from Rim)?

Also there must be an app that lets me have separate folders for my various files, what is it please? (the most recommended one)

Should also mention that I'm currently at work and don't have much of an access to a network so I can't be downloading lots of different ones to try. I don't need it to do much I just want my files organised.

Cheers,

Shaun.
    05-06-12 07:20 AM
    Looks like documents and videos listings just scan the entire playbook and drop folder info.

I would suggest adding author info to the file names. For example, instead of folder "Einstein" and "Newton" like this:

Books/Einstein/Relativity.pdf
    Books/Einstein/Spacetime.pdf
    Books/Newton/Calculus.pdf
    Books/Newton/Gravity.pdf

rename to this:

Einstein-Relativity.pdf
    Einstein-Spacetime.pdf
    Newton-Calculus.pdf
    Newton-Gravity.pdf

Then it will at least be alphabetically organized by folder name.

There are some programs on the PC that will do this for you automatically, like for MP3 they add artist/album info.

Alternatively, someone could just make an app or you can use AIR Browser to browse your folders and "launch" or "open" your files from there.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    05-06-12 08:16 AM
    There are various file managers, including ours, in App World that let you do this.
    05-06-12 08:33 AM
    I posted a kind of work-around for Videos in a recent thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...genres-722008/

Since pdf's are open by a separate app, it does not really work for them. It can work for TXT or html files which the browser does open.

And back to your original question - BIG oversight on rim's part. The failure to recognize folder structure is a real bane. Try finding a photo to attach to an email when you have 1,000 photos!!!
    05-06-12 09:38 AM
    Try finding a photo to attach to an email when you have 1,000 photos!!!
    Finding photos to attach to an email doesn't have to be so hard, even if you have 1000's of pics. First, organize your pics into folders- as many as you need to quickly find them. Then open Air Browser, which will see your subfolders, and locate the pic(s) you want to attach. Then tap on a pic, choose rename, and then copy the name of the pic you want to attach. Then open messages and compose an email, choose attach, when the browser pops up, choose Pictures, then choose search, paste the name of the pic into the box, and voila, there it is. This method IS a little cumbersome, but it still beats trying to scroll through a zillion pics, especially if you miss the pic you're looking for the first time you scroll through.
    05-06-12 11:49 AM
    Finding photos to attach to an email doesn't have to be so hard, even if you have 1000's of pics. First, organize your pics into folders- as many as you need to quickly find them. Then open Air Browser, which will see your subfolders, and locate the pic(s) you want to attach. Then tap on a pic, choose rename, and then copy the name of the pic you want to attach. Then open messages and compose an email, choose attach, when the browser pops up, choose Pictures, then choose search, paste the name of the pic into the box, and voila, there it is. This method IS a little cumbersome, but it still beats trying to scroll through a zillion pics, especially if you miss the pic you're looking for the first time you scroll through.
    Just a wee bit cumbersome! And if you want another and another. On my bbphone I can take a picture and then just attach and send it. Or I can browse real folders. I'm sorry but I know about work arounds (I can use Files and Folders for one at a time) but it is now MORE THAN A YEAR and rim has not addressed this severe insufficiency!
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-06-12 07:27 PM
    Just a wee bit cumbersome! And if you want another and another. On my bbphone I can take a picture and then just attach and send it. Or I can browse real folders. I'm sorry but I know about work arounds (I can use Files and Folders for one at a time) but it is now MORE THAN A YEAR and rim has not addressed this severe insufficiency!
    Sadly, I can't see this ever being fixed on an OS2-powered Playbook.

As you say, RIM have known about this fundamental failing (lack of built-in file/folder management) for over a year... and nada.

Similarly, browser bookmark management (my own pet peeve) won't be fixed either if my interpretation of a thread I read the other day is correct. Apparently, a new Playbook browser is under construction built on the Cascades framework... and further development of the existing browser has ceased.

So, when BB10 comes to Playbook (after the release of BB10 phones according to RIM), I guess folder management and a browser with bookmark management will come too.

I'd say I'm crossing my fingers for them, but I'd be afraid that gangrene might set in given the time period involved.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-07-12 04:23 AM
    Hi all,

I put a load of video files onto my PB the other day and they were all nicely organised in separate folders. When I went into the videos folder it just listed them all down in a big jumble.

Same happened with my ebooks and pdf's that I had organised into author and genre folders but when I go into the file manager they are just there in a big list and no sign of any folders?

Am I missing something here? (I am a bbpb newbie after all or is this a bit of an oversight from Rim)?

Also there must be an app that lets me have separate folders for my various files, what is it please? (the most recommended one)

Should also mention that I'm currently at work and don't have much of an access to a network so I can't be downloading lots of different ones to try. I don't need it to do much I just want my files organised.

Cheers,

Shaun.

Just curious here .... did you happen to use the Desktop Mgr with your Playbook plugged in and sync your vids? If so this could account for the scrambling/unscrambling that's occurred.

I know that I had my music a particular way and after a sync it all changed.

If you currently choose auto sync then change it so that you choose when to sync.
    05-07-12 04:59 AM
    There are various file managers, including ours, in App World that let you do this.
    Thank you, I've downloaded your product and I'll have a play around with it later.

Just curious here .... did you happen to use the Desktop Mgr with your Playbook plugged in and sync your vids? If so this could account for the scrambling/unscrambling that's occurred.

I know that I had my music a particular way and after a sync it all changed.

If you currently choose auto sync then change it so that you choose when to sync.
    No I just dragged and dropped into the video file from my hard drive. I dragged and dropped several folders containing video files. when I go into videos it just shows the thumbnails of all of them together and no holding folders.
    05-07-12 05:07 AM
    It does not matter how you copy/move/sync or in plain English, get videos (docs, pdf's, html, etc) to your pb. The only app which kind of recognizes Folders is the Picture/photo app where folders show up as Albums. In all other cases the pb just shows them all in one humongous "list" or jumble. The Music app also ignores folders but, at least, it uses mp3 tags to sort the music although it falls down by throwing any mp3 including podcasts or audio books into the mix in some cases. And rim even broke the Playlist function - not playing the music in the order found in the playlist.

REALLY, it is these sloppy oversights that don't help with its reputation. They have so much to do, that little appears to get done. Some issues rub salt into the wound and each time Folders are brought up, I get annoyed all over again - sorry for that - kind of!
    Last edited by F2; 05-07-12 at 08:35 AM.
    05-07-12 08:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD