I'm cheering for RIM, but the negative publicity is going mainstream

RIM may have missed window of opportunity
    03-01-11 01:35 PM
    I never got the impression that the Playbook was marketed toward consumers. When it was first announced, I immediately thought it was going to be a business device, especially geared toward folks who travel for business and salespersons, as a means to make presentations to customers.
    03-01-11 01:47 PM
    Yes well it was mainstream almost from day one, so whatever.
    03-01-11 02:26 PM
    Well quite frankly I've been saying rim's laxidasical approach towards todays highly competitive marketplace was going to be detrimental... Much to the anger of the blindly loyal RIM fanatics but I feel its the truth. Contrary to what some would have us believe, this thing has been cooking in the oven since a lot earlier than September of last year when they officially announced its existence. Just look at all the forum discussions back in 2010 about what its name was going to be (blackpad, many thought).

It is what it is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-11 02:38 PM
    Yeah and how long have any other companies been cooking on things before releasing them? Apple likely takes some less time than RIM to develop the ipad, but they wait until it's ready to ship to announce.
    03-01-11 02:42 PM
    ...I do know that at launch, RIM will already have a fleet of PB's in the hands of at least one major insurance company running some corporate apps. Its been in the works for months.
    03-01-11 03:10 PM
    It's too bad that the negative press is starting to really gain traction. RIM could have did the proper hyped up marketing campaign including the super bowl blitz but Apple has proven that it had something to deflate the momentum ala Ipad2. I'm hoping that it's RIM that wants to counter Apple's conference tomorrow with it's own annoucement following so to steal their thunder.

Of course most people won't see it that way. Rather it will be more, "too little too late", "it's an bad Ipad clone", and all that bullpucky.

So yeah, no opportunity missed, just really keeping the suspense. I hope they do not dissapoint....I mean this is marketing 101 here.
    03-01-11 03:31 PM
    ...I do know that at launch, RIM will already have a fleet of PB's in the hands of at least one major insurance company running some corporate apps. Its been in the works for months.
    Care to name names?
    03-01-11 04:11 PM
    I have to admit, the new xoom commercial is pretty cool but that price is outrageous. The playbook can do pretty much the same things the xoom can do but on a smaller more portable screen and for about $300 cheaper...supposedly.

03-01-11 04:14 PM
    I have to admit, the new xoom commercial is pretty cool but that price is outrageous. The playbook can do pretty much the same things the xoom can do but on a smaller more portable screen and for about $300 cheaper...supposedly.

I feel the need to say this every time I see somebody say something like this: The $800 Xoom is 32GB. The $500 PlayBook is 16GB. They are still rumors. While the PlayBook is still very much cheaper, it's 600:800, not 500:800

[/NitpickyRant]
    03-01-11 05:46 PM
    rimm is desperately trying to reposition this thing as an enterprise device.
    03-01-11 06:17 PM
    they don't have to reposition, it's was positioned that way since September
    03-01-11 06:19 PM
    You are confused.
    03-01-11 06:22 PM
    You are confused.
    RIM: BlackBerry PlayBook was "Built for CIOs with CIOs"

I believe you "continue" to be.
    03-01-11 06:23 PM
    The Playbook ALWAYS was first targeted at Enterprise, because they are showing off Games, and including them does not take away from that, games have always been used as benchmarks as they tax a system far greater then regular use productivity apps,

I don't totally disagree with the Financial times article, it would have been much better for RIM to have launched early Feb, during a slow time in technology releases, and used the Media shows as further advertising, they probably would have had better initial month sales, THAT said, I really don't think their over all yearly sales would have changed much when averaged out monthly over 12 months if they launched in Feb, or Launched in March, so I don't think the opportunity is missed, just delayed gratification.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-01-11 06:58 PM
    Speaking from an enterprise perspective and having lived through a iPad pilot. We want RIM to get this right. iPad will a nice consumer device is very lacking from a corporate perspective. The biggest issue is Apple's whole ecosystem is consumer focused. iTunes requires a credit card, requires your email account. I don't know many enterprises that want to deal with employee iTune purchases and having corporate email accounts in iTunes (which has already been hacked)

RIM has BES, they have connectivity to enterprise Apps. They don't require one method to deploy Apps you create internally. So RIM has many of the pieces to make a fantastic enterprise grade tablet. Remember RIM never agreesively went after consumers - they saw what celeberties / CEO's were using and wanted to mimic. Playbook has the same potential.

But I agree RIM is wasting time here so it better be rock solid when its released. Ideally the super bowl "Ad / unvieling" would've driven huge interest. **** it's supposedly less then 30 days away and not one Ad has been seen (outside of the youtube ones) on TV. You know Apple will be playing iPad 2 ads every 30 mins on across prime time. So I don't know if RIM can just neglect the consumer market to focus on enterprise.
    03-01-11 07:14 PM
    If the device is not primarily targeted at the consumer, then why was it in the Black Eyed Peas video for it's debutante ball?
    03-01-11 07:36 PM
    Speaking from an enterprise perspective and having lived through a iPad pilot. We want RIM to get this right. iPad will a nice consumer device is very lacking from a corporate perspective. The biggest issue is Apple's whole ecosystem is consumer focused. iTunes requires a credit card, requires your email account. I don't know many enterprises that want to deal with employee iTune purchases and having corporate email accounts in iTunes (which has already been hacked)

RIM has BES, they have connectivity to enterprise Apps. They don't require one method to deploy Apps you create internally. So RIM has many of the pieces to make a fantastic enterprise grade tablet. Remember RIM never agreesively went after consumers - they saw what celeberties / CEO's were using and wanted to mimic. Playbook has the same potential.

But I agree RIM is wasting time here so it better be rock solid when its released. Ideally the super bowl "Ad / unvieling" would've driven huge interest. **** it's supposedly less then 30 days away and not one Ad has been seen (outside of the youtube ones) on TV. You know Apple will be playing iPad 2 ads every 30 mins on across prime time. So I don't know if RIM can just neglect the consumer market to focus on enterprise.
    I am getting irritated to. I hope and pray after tomorrow and the ipad 2 is announced RIM pounces and slaps a release date out and would be cool if they one up Apple's but just have RIM open their fing mouth and tell us.
    03-01-11 07:37 PM
    I feel the need to say this every time I see somebody say something like this: The $800 Xoom is 32GB. The $500 PlayBook is 16GB. They are still rumors. While the PlayBook is still very much cheaper, it's 600:800, not 500:800

[/NitpickyRant]
    I get what you mean. $200 cheaper for the 32gb playbook is still a deal and I think the xoom only comes with the 32gb right?

03-01-11 09:25 PM
    I am in Canada, and RIM being Canadian may well be strongly tied to this observation, however...

Almost every article I read in main stream press, and TV coverage I see (which is more or less only CBC News) includes mention of the fourthcoming Playbook when discussing other tablets. Only once, and coincidently it was today, have I read a negative mention of the release date or technology outside this forum; most are neutral and simply state "it's coming, too".

03-01-11 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD