I don't think it's really all that far fetched to speculate that there is probably some discussion going on at RIM about releasing a 10" PB. There's a few reasons I think they are (talking about it).

First, they're the only ones who don't have a 10 inch. MS, Android, and Apple all do.
    Second, Apple sounds like they're planning a 7".
    Third, I won't be surprised if Windows 8 comes out in both sizes

So my guess? RIM is will wait to see how BB10 pans out. If it does, I fully expect to see a 10" Playbook within a year from that.
    bbfan1040 and kennyliu like this.
    05-11-12 11:16 AM
    Folks have seen 10 inch prototypes already.
    05-11-12 11:24 AM
    Yes there is at least one prototype that exists (and has since sometime late last year).
    05-11-12 11:26 AM
    That's fine, but I have no need for a 10" pad, PlayBook or not. If I need a screen that size, I'll use an ultrabook and have more connection options.
    05-11-12 11:36 AM
    Favorite thing about my playbook is its portability. I guess 10 inch would be nice for home but I love how my playbook fits in my jacket pocket.
    05-11-12 12:10 PM
    Kind of defeats the superlatives that is the 7" format.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    05-11-12 12:14 PM
    A larger playbook would be cool, the default view would be portrait and not landscape like current playbooks.

Some customers want a larger tablet. More space for drawing programs, cad drawings, etc. BB10 will have apps-in-apps capability

It could function as a screen for the 7" playbook-as-keyboard
    kennyliu and bbfan1040 like this.
    05-11-12 12:16 PM
    I would love to get a 10" playbook.
    05-11-12 12:17 PM
    If RIM releases a 10" tablet as light (or lighter like plexiglass) and nearly as thin as a plate of glass and shaped like a plate of glass, say goodbye to Apple. It would be all over for them. Such a tablet is the ideal of what people would flock to in droves.

Most people, I believe, are conditioned by sci-fi programming over the years and images of a transparent, handheld media/monitoring device are vivid in our minds. But the 10" RIM tablet doesn't necessarily have to be transparent at all. It just needs to be as light and about 2 or 3 times the thickness of a plate of glass.
    05-11-12 12:21 PM
    RIM needs to get the PB marketed as the must have tablet first, before attempting to release a 10" form factor.
    05-11-12 12:29 PM
    I would love to have a 10 inch tablet. I love the PB so I will see how BB10 fairs and if that too is great, well I will stick with BB for the 10 inch tablet. I was thinking about an iPad (I don't much like Android), but I may not have too!

Oh, and I have to see if Adobe FINALLY fixes that crap they call a PDF app... for me personally that is a must for my use of a 10inch pad.
    05-11-12 12:59 PM
    RIM needs to get the PB marketed as the must have tablet first, before attempting to release a 10" form factor.
    Yep, I totally agree which is why I think they'll do it if bb10 works out well for them. If not, I can't see them investing in a 10. I'd still like one for the house though.

Rotor mentioned the ultrabook option but my problem with that is finding a top end one that costs the same as the best 10" tablets
    05-11-12 02:22 PM
    If RIM releases a 10" tablet as light (or lighter like plexiglass) and nearly as thin as a plate of glass and shaped like a plate of glass, say goodbye to Apple. It would be all over for them. Such a tablet is the ideal of what people would flock to in droves.
    No offense, but you're delusional if you think that's what it will take for the masses to abandon Apple. Apple is not just a device, it's a status symbol. Apple could brand an Apple logo on a lump of coal and there would be people lining up to buy it.
    Last edited by Rudee66; 05-11-12 at 04:16 PM.
    cletis and DX9 like this.
    05-11-12 04:08 PM
    No offense, but you're delusional if you think that's what it will take for the masses to abandon Apple. Apple is not just a device, it's a status symbol. Apple could brand an Apple logo on a lump of coal and there would be people lining up to buy it.
    Not really. It's all about image. Apple products provide an aesthetically desirable image. The iPhone and iPad are cool looking. They're sleek, shiny and very well made. Image is everything to fashionable people. If you get the prominent and fashionable people onboard, you also get all of their followers. And if you have all of their followers, you have all of their follower's friends.

If RIM puts out a 10" tablet that is over-the-top stylish and fashionable (very thin and light and futuristic looking), they will sell. But whoever put's it out first will lead. That's why Apple is leading, they were first. Let RIM be first with such a cool 10" tablet and they will lead.
    05-11-12 04:25 PM
    Not really. It's all about image. Apple products provide an aesthetically desirable image. The iPhone and iPad are cool looking. They're sleek, shiny and very well made. Image is everything to fashionable people. If you get the prominent and fashionable people onboard, you also get all of their followers. And if you have all of their followers, you have all of their follower's friends.

If RIM puts out a 10" tablet that is over-the-top stylish and fashionable (very thin and light and futuristic looking), they will sell. But whoever put's it out first will lead. That's why Apple is leading, they were first. Let RIM be first with such a cool 10" tablet and they will lead.

Status symbol is image. They go hand in hand. And whoever puts out new technology first is not guaranteed to lead. Anybody just has to look at the Smartphone sales to see a perfect example of that.
    silverdevil likes this.
    05-11-12 04:37 PM
    Status symbol is image. They go hand in hand. And whoever puts out new technology first is not guaranteed to lead. Anybody just has to look at the Smartphone sales to see a perfect example of that.
    In the case of Apple, they do lead because of new tech. But they wrap that tech up in aesthetically pleasing packages.
    05-11-12 04:40 PM
    Apple is not one too come out with new technologies, but wait till they are right. One of the biggest failings of 4G LTE, has been the drain on batteries. That is why the iphone 4S doesn't have it, but the new iPad does. That is why none of their products have NFC yet.
    05-11-12 10:05 PM
    That's fine, but I have no need for a 10" pad, PlayBook or not. If I need a screen that size, I'll use an ultrabook and have more connection options.
    Yea and w/ that size you're probably better off just buying a laptop :shrugs:
    05-11-12 11:19 PM
    RIM is pretty well known for providing options when it comes to picking one of their devices. I think it would be a deviation away from their past not to offer such a device.

As for when, price point, specs.. those are all good questions for speculation.
    05-12-12 12:04 AM
    After having both sizes - 10" touchpad and 7" playbook - I have used the playbook more in two weeks than I used the touchpad in a few months.

I think it's all about market penetration - to directly compete with apple/android, etc, they need to have the same offerings..to rule out those people who reach for one OS vs another bc of tablet size..I'm sure many do..

Apple seems to be doing the same with all of the speculation surrounding their release of a 7" iPad.

I think it's great that there are even rumors circulating regarding a scenario in which rim is standing toe to toe with the rest and throwing punches..
    05-12-12 12:44 AM
    If you watch this video you will see the Playbook 7" and 10".

I don't know why no one has made a big thing about it.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EbRCkuSARQ[/YT]
    05-12-12 08:46 AM
    I agree. I also have no need for a 10" tablet. My PB is perfect for me. But there are people who will want one and if RIM is to ever lead, they have to appeal to as any as possible. And they way to appeal to the "iPad" crowd is to make a 10" look fashionable. Something their vain selves could look cool with. (fine print: not all iPad users are vain)
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 05-12-12 at 09:50 AM.
    05-12-12 09:42 AM
    7" fits so nicely in my hand why bother with anything bigger than that.
    05-12-12 12:35 PM
    If you watch this video you will see the Playbook 7" and 10".

I don't know why no one has made a big thing about it.

yes you are right. there seems to be a bigger tablet in this commercial .does not look like 7" at all.
    05-12-12 12:37 PM
    I don't believe that is a real RIM video. The "larger" tablet has no bezel at each end and would be impossible to hold without triggering onscreen commands. It looks like a really nice photoshopped video.
    05-12-12 12:50 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD