Hello CrackBerrians!
    Yes it's me, the hater here to defend the flopped PlayBook.
    Few days ago, i was hanging on with my friends in a local restaurant and we always carry our tablets and smartphones for every place, but it was my first time carrying my PlayBook.
    For my suprise, they got jelly for a BLACKBERRY TABLET.
    They got amused how well the bezel gestures allowed me to switch between apps easily, how i could see all open apps, how i could run many apps at same time, how i could easily see my calendar that synced with my Facebook, Live account, Google account, Linked In account...
    And the most impressive comment: "The design is so beautiful"
    That made me think, what if BlackBerry didn't gave up from the PlayBook?
    If BlackBerry updated the PlayBook to a OS 3.0 with many new features, a fresh UI, and a good marketing, could it grow up?
    I believe yes, here in my country, having a BlackBerry give you more "coolness" than having an Apple product, i don't know why, but BlackBerries are very well-seen here, but their prices don't make they very popular, except the PlayBook.
    My friends and another people that saw my PlayBook always got amused with it, but the problem always was: I DIDN'T KNEW THAT BLACKBERRY HAVE A TABLET
    Was the problem of the PlayBook a sh�tty marketing? Or i have a bad taste for mobile OS's?
    The iPad got many problems, problems even worst than the PlayBook, but people(tech geeks) seen to ignore these problems.
    The big problem of the PlayBook(on Internet) is always the same: It don't have many apps.
    One problem vs 9999 problems of other tablets
    Why?
    Just why the PlayBook failed for one single problem since other tablets got worst problems?
    I can confirm that the PlayBook is the most safe tablet actually(FIPS), the only one that got a true multitasking also it's pretty.
    Was BlackBerry itself that killed this tablet with their sh�tty marketing team?

Thanks, and just to be hipocrite: Dumped an iPad mini for my old PlayBook.
    Please BlackBerry, call a priest and use ressurect on the PlayBook, it still can contribute if you do the right thing.

Nick
    FF22 and hreiner1 like this.
    07-23-13 09:35 PM
    I agree that RIM is turning its back on a good product, but I don't think it needs as much as you suggest. You already said your friends loved the UI. The PlayBook doesn't even need a new OS, it just needs to be able to bridge to OS 10 devices. It DOES need access to apps (as you suggested), but if RIM would convince developers it is committed to the tablet, maybe this would take care of itself. I think another thing you mentioned, marketing, was the main problem all along. After all, the Betamax WAS the superior machine.
    07-23-13 10:43 PM
    BBRY snatched defeat from possible victory. The PB could have been a great tablet if it had been continuously updated and if developers had been brought onboard. As it is, BBRY's typical incompetence meant promised updates, missing promised updates, then just killing off the product.
    dmlis, Carterbits, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    07-24-13 01:48 AM
    Very true, I love my PlayBook and I carry it around wherever I go.
    The OS is great, the gestures are addictive, the full out multitasking demonstrated on my PlayBook is the reason why I purchased my Z10.

I like the fact that I can videochat, look at my calendar, finish off a word document and email it all while chatting away!

If only BlackBerry pushed the tablet, got more apps, it definitely would have given the iPad a run for their money!
    07-24-13 01:52 AM
    The Playbook is a great tablet which compliments my 9810 via bridge. Not sure if just being great will save it though. All this reminds me of when Commodore were knocking out computers to compete against the likes of Apple and IBM clones back in the 80's and 90's. The Amiga was (and some will say still is) a great computer with full multitasking great graphics and sound that the others didn't have at the time. I still have my trusty Amiga 1200 networked in with my PC. But unfortunately bad decisions at the top in Commodore ensured that the Amiga lost ground against the competition and eventually Commodore went bust. Now I could be mistaken here, but wasn't Commodore a Canadian company too?
    chaosdivine likes this.
    07-24-13 02:30 AM
    I've been spending a lot of time on my HP TouchPad lately now that I installed Cyanogen Mod 9 Android (4.0.4) as I figured I had better get over my disappointment in BlackBerry killing off the PlayBook. Anyhow, there is a lot in Android that bugs me but there is a lot that I like too. I have tried 6 different web browsers on Android and they all suck to some degree. Crashing, stupid UI placement of major items, really ******** layout and spacing of speed dials and just trying to be cute when it's not needed. Anyhow, the UI in Android is overly complicated compared to the PlayBook and really it's that simplicity that makes the PlayBook shine. I can't tell you how much I love the swiping and gestures of the PlayBook. Bottom left corner swipe to reveal/hide the keyboard is simply delicious whip cream. Though the PlayBook web browser has its faults (slowness, stupid bookmark manager, etc) it was/is laid out awesome for the web. It just needed some refinement and speed improvements. I love swiping down to reveal/hide my URL bar and major controls and then swiping down (or up) to hide it when needed. Swiping is just so natural. On Android, you have to hunt around for buttons that are so cryptic and un-meaningful - it's like a choose your own adventure as you don't exactly know what you're going to get until you try it for the first time.

Anyhow, BlackBerry is their own worst enemy here. They killed their own device from the get go. I strongly believe that they didn't or don't know how to utilize their tablet OS and that it really boils down to having incredibly inept software developers left on staff to streamline (and fix) bugs on their devices. The things this OS needs are not super big rocket science type coding improvements. It's just simple things, tweaks, refinements and edge polishing. For the life of me, I can't figure out how they could get Android 2.3 to work well on the PlayBook with only 1GB of RAM but they couldn't get the web browser to not be stuttery and slow. Seriously, one is like climbing Mount Everest and the other is like climbing a foothill in park.

All I know is that I am really put off with BlackBerry these days and I don't want to be but I have to be. For them to take a really useful and potentially market leading (yes I'll go that far) tablet and just kill it outright just frustrates me to no end. I am dreaming here but if this OS was released to the pubic via open source, it would flourish and the hacking community could/would show BlackBerry how to properly build an iPad killer. Leaving it up to BlackBerry has proven to be a failure thus far and unfortunately I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I switch back and forth quite a bit between the tablets but I'm going forward with Android so I can at least use the apps that the world uses. It's the one thing that will tear me away from BlackBerry longterm. I'll just have to get used to the crappy interface I suppose and sideload all kinds of space eating apps to tweak things to emulate the PlayBook.
    07-24-13 02:41 AM
    Hello CrackBerrians!
    Few days ago, i was hanging on with my friends in a local restaurant and we always carry our tablets and smartphones for every place, but it was my first time carrying my PlayBook.
    They got amused how well the bezel gestures allowed me to switch between apps easily, how i could see all open apps, how i could run many apps at same time, how i could easily see my calendar that synced with my Facebook, Live account, Google account, Linked In account...
    If BlackBerry updated the PlayBook to a OS 3.0 with many new features, a fresh UI, and a good marketing, could it grow up?
    I believe yes, here in my country, having a BlackBerry give you more "coolness" than having an Apple product, i don't know why, but BlackBerries are very well-seen here, but their prices don't make they very popular, except the PlayBook.
    My friends and another people that saw my PlayBook always got amused with it, but the problem always was: I DIDN'T KNEW THAT BLACKBERRY HAVE A TABLET
    Was the problem of the PlayBook a sh�tty marketing? Or i have a bad taste for mobile OS's?
    The iPad got many problems, problems even worst than the PlayBook, but people(tech geeks) seen to ignore these problems.
    The big problem of the PlayBook(on Internet) is always the same: It don't have many apps.
    Why?
    Just why the PlayBook failed for one single problem since other tablets got worst problems?
    I can confirm that the PlayBook is the most safe tablet actually(FIPS), the only one that got a true multitasking also it's pretty.

Please BlackBerry, call a priest and use ressurect on the PlayBook, it still can contribute if you do the right thing.

Nick
    What many problems of iPad, which are far worst than the Playbook's, are you referring to?

Let's leave aside the fact that iOS is a closed OS with not much personalization options. Those are not problems, those are design limitation. That's how the OS was designed.

Let's not think about apps. Still it has a very good browser in Safari, the push mail works very good, the graphics and design are very well finished...I could go on.

I really don't get your point here....but I do agree on the fact that it was BlackBerry who berried it.
    shrinkbbuser and Remian8985 like this.
    07-24-13 02:43 AM
    The Playbook is a great tablet which compliments my 9810 via bridge. Not sure if just being great will save it though. All this reminds me of when Commodore were knocking out computers to compete against the likes of Apple and IBM clones back in the 80's and 90's. The Amiga was (and some will say still is) a great computer with full multitasking great graphics and sound that the others didn't have at the time. I still have my trusty Amiga 1200 networked in with my PC. But unfortunately bad decisions at the top in Commodore ensured that the Amiga lost ground against the competition and eventually Commodore went bust. Now I could be mistaken here, but wasn't Commodore a Canadian company too?
    Founded in Toronto Canada but ended up being an American company: Commodore International - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I still have a working C-64 (with LOTS of games and a working big @ss disk drive) and an Amiga 500. They live in a box for nostalgia purposes...I miss Gorf on my old Vic 20...sold that one a while back.
    07-24-13 02:54 AM
    The playbook needs to be "reborn ". Thor prophesied about hyper connection. I was almost there, with my 9900 and my playbook. I got a Z10 and thought the world was a perfect place.
    I RARELY used my laptop. I was sooooo close. Sooooo close.
    Just needed to print and an office suite (word processing, spreadsheet etc...). A few more apps. What else would someone need?

From Zed to U via CB10
    07-24-13 03:03 AM
    Founded in Toronto Canada but ended up being an American company: Commodore International - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I still have a working C-64 (with LOTS of games and a working big @ss disk drive) and an Amiga 500. They live in a box for nostalgia purposes...I miss Gorf on my old Vic 20...sold that one a while back.
    Thanks for the info on the origins of Commodore.

I too had a C64 and a C128 with the big disk drives (1570/1571). Sadly I sold them, but in some ways wish I hadn't.
    07-24-13 03:24 AM
    One thing people seem to constantly forget: the PB wasn't killed, it was taken off "life support", which is a subtle difference IMHO. Projects like the instantly famous Origami Browser show how relatively "easy" it is to prolong the PB's life by other means... Get developing, everyone!
    07-24-13 04:48 AM
    Hello CrackBerrians!
    Why?

Nick
    For BB to resurrect playbook. It needs to put back the price of $799 for a 64G. Assuming the new and improve OS with the eco system of current BB 10. Now how many of you will pay for it? Pricing is just one of the many issues. After how the company handle the playbook update, how many left would actually trust this company to support the tablet or any other devices it manufacture? Can we truly say the launch of Z10 and Q10 were a success?
    07-24-13 07:07 AM
    What sucks is they cant give us a decent upgrade.But overall they failed whoever was in charge dropped the ball on the tablet market.Eventually just like now it would be less profitable market due to cheaper alternatives. Ipad sales are down and will continue to do so in future.

Being mobile and having access to networks is major need for the future. Wifi only devices have very small room to flourish these will be home/building devices. 5+ inch phones will eat up the 7-9 inch market eventually.Just because its much more mobile,1 device ,no tethering issues,and good enough screen size,network capability everywhere.

There is a place for tablets but at 10 inch netbook size but that's it imo. Eventually for many consumers they will use their phone as laptop replacement.They would just want a bigger screen for that lounging bed/film watching. So I think BB were wise to back out and not further invest in this tablet market it seems to be one of those products that you have to be in there from the go whilst its hot to make money.

I think dumb screens are the future being able to move your phone OS onto a screen,win/mac laptop,tablet.BB should invest in that possibly.
    07-24-13 08:11 AM
    What sucks is they cant give us a decent upgrade.But overall they failed whoever was in charge dropped the ball on the tablet market.Eventually just like now it would be less profitable market due to cheaper alternatives. Ipad sales are down and will continue to do so in future.

Being mobile and having access to networks is major need for the future. Wifi only devices have very small room to flourish these will be home/building devices. 5+ inch phones will eat up the 7-9 inch market eventually.Just because its much more mobile,1 device ,no tethering issues,and good enough screen size,network capability everywhere.

There is a place for tablets but at 10 inch netbook size but that's it imo. Eventually for many consumers they will use their phone as laptop replacement.They would just want a bigger screen for that lounging bed/film watching. So I think BB were wise to back out and not further invest in this tablet market it seems to be one of those products that you have to be in there from the go whilst its hot to make money.

I think dumb screens are the future being able to move your phone OS onto a screen,win/mac laptop,tablet.BB should invest in that possibly.
    Okay, so where is BBRY's entry? If they even hinted at it being somewhere in development, they might dissuade bb-stalwarts not to move to another platform for the 7, 8, 9 or 10 inch fix. But folks are still adopting tablets at a pretty fast pace and bbry is nowhere in sight with anything to replace the killed-off pb. I guess if they price it at $75 to $100 dollars they might convince people to give it a try but that's not going to happen, the darn BB bluetooth Keyboard, was what when introduced - $130 or so dollars. I would suspect even a dumb screen will be more pricy than that. Get into the market or give it all up!
    07-24-13 09:17 AM
    I am in NYC
    when I sit in the bus I always use my PB bridged with my BB phone 9730 cruising the net
    I got numerous stares and questions how I use my tablet
    I am always happy to explain the bridge function and how I save maybe $40 a month with it

BB made a major error when they released the PB without a native email app
    plus they did not have a deal in place with the mobile carriers regarding the bridge
    VZ and T blocked the bridge for a long time
    the mobile carriers did not like the old BB OS as they did not make enough money on it
    as BB has their own BIS for email and not using the dataplan from the carriers

Hello CrackBerrians!
    Why?

Nick
    Nickstarmaster likes this.
    07-24-13 12:47 PM
    The new breed of add-on dongles turns tablets, phones and smart and non-smart TVs or monitors into very useful devices. Things like the freshly released $35 Google Chromecast ( $35 Google Chromecast lets you stream internet videos, music to a TV - Liliputing ) dongle or Miracast certified dongles are the way forward in my opinion. These are affordable upgrades to really extend the functionality of a smartphone, tablet, laptop, computer, etc. to your existing display devices. This type of functionality is something that BlackBerry desperately needs more of in it's repertoire and though they were taking steps to do a sort of similar thing with Bridge, they really need to pick up the ball and extend functionality. In a business setting, this type of thing is essential especially if it can be tied into BlackBerry's BES systems.
    07-24-13 02:55 PM
    Ever wonder why there are plenty of Z10 leaked OS's but never a BB10 leak for the Playbook?
    That's because it was never being worked.
    07-24-13 03:01 PM
    The PB was introduced as RIM was beginning to swirl down the toilet. And it was buggy and lacked features, much like the first iteration of everything RIM releases, unfortunately.

Now the thing is nearly 2 1/2 years old and is approaching obsolescence. You don't release major upgrades to things that 1) were huge disappointments at the time of release and 2) are nearing end of life.

It would be like Microsoft releasing major upgrades to Windows Vista.
    07-24-13 04:10 PM
    The major upgrade to Windows Vista was Win7

At least there was an upgrade and hey, if you didn't like Windows, you could always load Linux on your PC. With the PB, we're stuck with (P)OS 2.1 with no way to load anything else. At least until the rooting crew does something.

Anyway the whole PB episode showed me that BBRY management is totally clueless. It's like entire divisions are run as separate entities without division heads talking to each other, so they keep making the same blunders over and over again...
    07-24-13 08:57 PM
    The major upgrade to Windows Vista was Win7

At least there was an upgrade and hey, if you didn't like Windows, you could always load Linux on your PC. With the PB, we're stuck with (P)OS 2.1 with no way to load anything else. At least until the rooting crew does something.

Anyway the whole PB episode showed me that BBRY management is totally clueless. It's like entire divisions are run as separate entities without division heads talking to each other, so they keep making the same blunders over and over again...
    Oh, you mean like the pb division started building a bridge 10 feet to the north and the bb10 division, 10 feet to the south so that they never meet with a FULL BRIDGE!
    07-24-13 09:37 PM
    I wasn't there at the beginning, but didn't BB sabotage the Playbook by launching it without several standard apps? Maybe if they had delayed it a bit more it would've done better. Since the start its biggest problem has been support. They never seemed very confident in the tablet market.
    07-25-13 02:00 AM
    I wasn't there at the beginning, but didn't BB sabotage the Playbook by launching it without several standard apps? Maybe if they had delayed it a bit more it would've done better. Since the start its biggest problem has been support. They never seemed very confident in the tablet market.
    It had no Native Email - it could only get email when linked to a bbphone. But since it took 6 months or a year to develop those, the delay would have also killed it. One HUGE foul up.
    07-25-13 08:29 AM
    It had no Native Email - it could only get email when linked to a bbphone. But since it took 6 months or a year to develop those, the delay would have also killed it. One HUGE foul up.
    It most definitely seems that this is how BlackBerry rolls though. They've never released a product that just works right out of the gate. That's the one thing I give Apple a nod for. Their stuff generally just works and is tested to work in advance before releasing it to the public (except for their maps and antenna gate fiasco). I know things get revised and updates happen, but to omit major apps like an email client at launch is like building a jet airplane without engines or a race car without wheels.
    07-26-13 03:40 PM
    The PB was introduced as RIM was beginning to swirl down the toilet. And it was buggy and lacked features, much like the first iteration of everything RIM releases, unfortunately.

Now the thing is nearly 2 1/2 years old and is approaching obsolescence. You don't release major upgrades to things that 1) were huge disappointments at the time of release and 2) are nearing end of life.

It would be like Microsoft releasing major upgrades to Windows Vista.
    Yet Microsoft is still patching XP, Vista, Win7, when their new OS is Win8/8.1. So, don't release BB10, but fix the damn product with required patches.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-26-13 04:51 PM
    I know a lot of people didn't like the old ceos, but if they were still here I'm pretty sure BB10 would be coming to the playbook.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 06:02 PM