Not hard to imagine a BGR headline reading "BlackBerry Still Beating Dead PlayBook Horse".
    That is not hard to imagine at all. I'm actually finding it hard to imagine why said article doesn't already exist.
    05-16-13 11:43 PM
    I wonder what percentage of people bought the playbook expecting BB10.

My guess <5%. BB10 didnt even exist till well after the playbook was release.

Gotta love the internet though. You'll find people who complain about anything and everything. I know another CEO who has said a couple douzies but people still seem to love him.

In reality, anyone with a vendetta against a company looks silly if they think they can do anything against them other than buying a different product. Also, the vast majority of people are logical with their purchases. If they don't like a product, they don't buy it. Tell another friend not to buy. It doesn't mater. Getting all upset about 'another lie from blackberry' is pretty funny. You upset at all with googles lie 'don't do evil'?
    Jonesy1966 and MasterOfBinary like this.
    05-17-13 12:33 AM
    I wonder what percentage of people bought the playbook expecting BB10.

My guess <5%.
    this is a good point.

Not because it is accurate or inaccurate (say the percentage is much higher, 10-15%), but because in my long experience of using electronic devices, I consistently found myself in small company of likely minded geeks who jump with joy at upgrading their toys...the rest of buyers are 'average' users - they use their PlayBooks, for 2-3 favorite tasks never bothering to explore the full depth of its excellence. This, BTW, is not unique to the PB.

Would the average user reeeeally care about the BB10 delays? Perhaps, but I doubt he/she will know what to do with it when BB10 for PB eventually gets out...

the important point here is that RIM management knows that investing their limited dev resources in satisfying us, a few hundred geeks - moreover, during the times of mortal struggle for survival, yes, to put it mildly, it would not be business savvy.

I am a hardcore PB loyalist and will jump with joy if the update will finally arrive, but, as things stand right now, my 2 yo PB works just fine, I am happy with what I got and wont lose sleep if it never does - for the BIGGER reasons explained above.
    05-17-13 02:17 AM
    RIM back to old times.
    05-17-13 02:33 AM
    Not only is Thorsten Heins' reputation and integrity on the line, mine is as well because I recommended to all of my clients that they should buy the Playbook because it was the only device out at the time that would get BB10 when it was released (as per BlackBerry/RIM). If we don't get BB10 on the Playbook I'm the one who has to explain it to my clients.

Cheers,

Marc
    me too, my playbook stays in the drawer, waiting for BB10
    Last edited by tonyblaze; 05-17-13 at 04:43 AM.
    tstrike34 likes this.
    05-17-13 04:19 AM
    I brought it expecting bb10, but I knew if it didn't come, it would be useful for what I need it for anyway and its proved that - good all rounder and cheap, very cheap. I don't want to pay �50-�100 more and get rubbish tat. The Nexus is good, probably better in many areas, but apps are really over-rated. How many people actually use apps? I have a phone and its android and I barely use any apps. I have skydrive on it, I barely use it even though I use skydrive ALL the time on my PC. The thing is, apps are a novelty. I personally think if you are relying on technology so much so that you need an app to go about your daily life then in many cases, you are probably doing something wrong. I am happy I didn't get the Nexus simply because I have never ever felt I needed any apps at all (having had an android phone for two years).
    05-17-13 04:39 AM
    Ok here is a reasonable compromise:

Just fix the damn bridge integration.

No OS overhaul.. Just fix the bridge. Its what we were sold on.
    05-17-13 04:49 AM
    Where did they promise the fracken PlayBook update and then break it? You people are really, really reaching.
    I think what he is getting at is, Blackberry promised to release BB10 for the Playbook this year.
    Then Jeff Gadway stated "we have delivered on all our promises".
    So until BB10 is released for the Playbook Blackberry has not delivered on all of their promises which makes Jeff Gadway's statement a lie.

Yes, it is really reaching.
    05-17-13 04:55 AM
    I'm starting to think BB10 will never be released on the playbook! I'm not sure what they are waiting for!
    05-17-13 05:36 AM
    Ok here is a reasonable compromise:
    That's kind of you, but you really do not need to accept any compromise, you deserve the things the CEO promised you -not just BB10 on PB, but all the other lies that BB representatives have been spewing. This is the time when we see just how far the kool-aid drinking goes. Some people are willing to throw all rationality out the window, and look absolutely foolish to still defend BB, and portray it as the fault of the fans! LOL
    05-17-13 05:40 AM
    That's kind of you, but you really do not need to accept any compromise, you deserve the things the CEO promised you -not just BB10 on PB, but all the other lies that BB representatives have been spewing.
    Do you have a few examples?
    05-17-13 05:58 AM
    The BB10 version from the dev alpha runs on the PB but it's hardly release quality. You can't run more than 1-2 basic apps and it's not optimized for the screen. The effort to optimize the screen and memory to turn that kludge into a viable product isn't worth the investment.

Posted via CB10
    BB would have know that in the Jan promise, and certainly now, so they shoul man up and give a yea or nay now. Its a matter of credibility more than anything else
    05-17-13 06:29 AM
    I think what he is getting at is, Blackberry promised to release BB10 for the Playbook this year.
    Then Jeff Gadway stated "we have delivered on all our promises".
    So until BB10 is released for the Playbook Blackberry has not delivered on all of their promises which makes Jeff Gadway's statement a lie.

Yes, it is really reaching.
    Thank you, someone who can read ! no offence others.....really

But yes, he said Delivered as in past tense. To say they have Delivered om all there promises when they clearly have not is a lie.

I just calls'em as I sees'em folks and this was as blatent as lies get.

so call what you would
    05-17-13 06:50 AM
    Do you have a few examples?
    for one when the playbook came out we were promised skype
    05-17-13 06:53 AM
    this is a good point.

Not because it is accurate or inaccurate (say the percentage is much higher, 10-15%), but because in my long experience of using electronic devices, I consistently found myself in small company of likely minded geeks who jump with joy at upgrading their toys...the rest of buyers are 'average' users - they use their PlayBooks, for 2-3 favorite tasks never bothering to explore the full depth of its excellence. This, BTW, is not unique to the PB.

Would the average user reeeeally care about the BB10 delays? Perhaps, but I doubt he/she will know what to do with it when BB10 for PB eventually gets out...

the important point here is that RIM management knows that investing their limited dev resources in satisfying us, a few hundred geeks - moreover, during the times of mortal struggle for survival, yes, to put it mildly, it would not be business savvy.

I am a hardcore PB loyalist and will jump with joy if the update will finally arrive, but, as things stand right now, my 2 yo PB works just fine, I am happy with what I got and wont lose sleep if it never does - for the BIGGER reasons explained above.
    I agree with you on that totally. The problem here is that Playbook was sent out the door to the consumers based on promises of updates... then we all waited for the half baked OS (while it was a very solid product and still is in many ways, I always admit I love the darn thing - especially bridged with my Torch 9800 it was a true help in my everyday life and work).

The point is that RIM created a hype like no other about it, then they put the oven on low temp saying that slow baking would make this a delicious outcome... we waitied and when 2.0 got there we all cheered and jumped as you would expect, and yes quite the improvement it was! But still not baked properly in some levels....
    well I think that the repeated failures to get things right (like PIM with no DM sync...) was one of the many things that did leave a bad taste.. and then people said "use the bridge..."

I think that this whole story is precisely what makes people so reluctant to cut some slack (or some more slack?) to BB. Yeah, it is BB now, not RIM, admittedly many things have changed in management and delivery, but still... it IS the same company, only it behaves a bit better. Hell it is even the same people for the most part, under new policy and direction (internal promotions mostly)... so I still do understand why people still hold them accountable.

I do understand the business decision now, it is BIGGER reasons indeed but BIGGER for BB, not for the person that bought the PB... I have a Z10 so I have interrest in BB getting to succeed. Maybe this makes me as a consumer, swallow the bitter feeling and not look back that much over the PB. But this is not how things should be. This is my decision to do but it is not what every pb owner should or would or will decide to do.

Some people just bought the PB and they were left with a "half baked - eternally in the oven" promised superb product... and I understand TH saying it will come was ment to get some comfort and excitement but it is like the restaurant example... if you wait for your delicious food for 2 hours and the manager comes and says, "I ll make it even more special for you sir, you should have it in about 1 hour"... then really, lets face it, you may get up and go trying to resist throwing him a glass of water or something...

BIGGER things are in play for BB but a customer that bought a PB and is not invested in the company does not have to accept this... this is like telling them "We have more important things to do than you and your constant complaint over something we did not do correctly in the past", those people just want ammendment (and BB10 would be just that and more ), especially when there is all reason to believe that PB was a pre BB10 try out...

Once again, I am differently positioned towards that, since my main concern now is the Z10 but the fact that I decided the PB issue is water under the bridge and I move on (hoping to see bb10 on my pb one day sooner than later, that is also true), does not make it legit to ask of others to do the same and cool it offf imo. BB is a provider, those people are clients and in recent past times we have been treated really badly as playbook owners in terms of consistency in words promises and actions; to my humble opinion at least.
    05-17-13 07:00 AM
    What a waste of a thread.

I can't help bothered to read all the way back through this thread but I got most of the way through the first page before I had to stop. Apologies if this has been posted before.

TH promises BB10 on PlayBook, doesn't give a date as to when. A few weeks later I think it was Klassen who Tweeted that, yes indeed, BB10 will be available on the PlayBook and it would likely be available later in the year. There was quite the discussion about it here at the time.

So, where is the lie?
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-17-13 07:03 AM
    You clearly have a reading comprehension problem.
    What reading comprehension am I having? The whole ******* thread accuses Thorsten of "lying". Then it goes into "because he hasn't delivered BlackBerry 10 for PlayBook:". Then it cites some example where Jeff Gadway says, "we delivered on our promises so far".

The promise, as made by Thorsten, was that PlayBooks in market would get the upgrade in 2013. It was not, "you'll get it by January 30th, BlackBerry Live or anything else. Just that it's coming and in 2013".

They do have other shows and 7.5 months for it to come out in order to meet that promise. And they certainly haven't 'lied' yet.

I agree, it would have been nice to give a direct update on when. Perhaps he doesn't know exactly when in 2013 yet and is reluctant to give a concrete timeline because if people accuse him of 'lying' when he doesn't give an update, what are they going to do if he makes a mistake?
    05-17-13 07:07 AM
    @Jonesy
    Not necessarily a lie per se but the accumulated frustration over an admittedly badly launched product that served RIM to go to BB10 in many ways, is understandable to create reactions still. It may not be a lie but it does not make the way that RIM and now BB treat the playbook owners, acceptable to their eyes (comprehensible yes, but acceptable...). This is where it all resides imo. (if you want a more detailed account of my stance on this, please read my previous posts in this thread).

I think in essence the OP is just letting out some more steam, let him just do that, it is more than understandable. And for the record, TH has not lied, that is a fact, but I think that this was not the OPs point in essence.
    05-17-13 07:08 AM
    Thank you, someone who can read ! no offence others.....really

But yes, he said Delivered as in past tense. To say they have Delivered om all there promises when they clearly have not is a lie.

I just calls'em as I sees'em folks and this was as blatent as lies get.
    I call it a bad choice of words. The promise was, "we're delivering it in 2013". end of story. It's a blatant lie to me, if they don't have it on December 31st or say, "we aren't doing it".
    currentodysseys likes this.
    05-17-13 07:16 AM
    I'm looking at Skype on my Z10 now. Just used it this morning in fact.
    05-17-13 07:18 AM
    Also MSN messenger at the time since it was fairly popular for messaging. They had the BBM icon on playbooks as well.

Look don't waste your time, we all know they lied. They said shortly after BB10's release, they would release a version for the Playbook. They said they were committed to the Playbook for the last two years that was their motto. Now the PB is like a disease to them. As one poster said earlier, I too recommended the PB to ppl because of the promise by RIM to move it to BB10. Never another BBRY product.

I could care less if they go bankrupt.
    05-17-13 07:21 AM
    I'm looking at Skype on my Z10 now. Just used it this morning in fact.
    ....yes on your z10 with 10.1.

if you read or have any retrospec you would know playbook users were promised skype on their playbooks, its a little silly that 2 years ago skype would be promised to a phone that doesn't exist yet .....cmon now
    05-17-13 07:21 AM
    Also MSN messenger at the time since it was fairly popular for messaging. They had the BBM icon on playbooks as well.

Look don't waste your time, we all know they lied. They said shortly after BB10's release, they would release a version for the Playbook. They said they were committed to the Playbook for the last two years that was their motto. Now the PB is like a disease to them. As one poster said earlier, I too recommended the PB to ppl because of the promise by RIM to move it to BB10. Never another BBRY product.

I could care less if they go bankrupt.
    that's just silly talk you can't care less than not caring its impossible, also competition is a good thing even if the company is unethical
    05-17-13 07:24 AM
    Still makes me laugh when everyone was saying "its the power of qnx that makes bridge possible". "Just wait until we get BB10 phones, then you will really see what it can do!"

My old and outdated 9850 bridges a lot more than my Z does
    9850--->>>PB FTW,,, ,,, i love the feel & design of it,,, they should've used its design for the "Z", instead of going w/ the iclone look,,, & i don't think it's too outdated,,, the specs & performance are still VERY comparable,,, it smokes on wifi...
    05-17-13 07:28 AM
    ....yes on your z10 with 10.1.

if you read or have any retrospec you would know playbook users were promised skype on their playbooks, its a little silly that 2 years ago skype would be promised to a phone that doesn't exist yet .....cmon now

That is a broken promise, I agree. And as much as I hate to say it, **** happens. Deals fall apart, things don't work as expected, things take longer to do than anticipated etc.

This is probably why the company is getting more and more cautious about giving hard information. I personally would go the Apple extreme and just not mention it till it's ready to roll.
    Angus_CB likes this.
    05-17-13 07:33 AM
270 ... 23456 ...