• 1 Post By RedxD
  • 1 Post By jpash549
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Open office (odt) app?

Hi guys,

I have posted the same question in the PlayBook Apps & Games forum. I don't mean to clutter forums with the same query but I am quite desperate.

I write various papers on my PC using exclusively LibreOffice. I save them in odt format in dropbox. When I am out and about I want to be able not only to read them but also to edit them.
    Naturally, I can just convert them in doc format and keep editing them in my PB, which is what I am currently doing. But this process means that some of the original formatting might be lost, let alone my references (using Mendeley).

This is a very important issue for me especially for lengthy papers.
    There is an app in appworld (OpenOffice Document Reader) but it doesn't work.

I don't want to convert my papers. I want to read and edit them.
    Does anybody know of any app (native or sideloaded)?
    It would be much appreciated,

P.S. It is times such as these that I wish I had the knowledge or time to learn and develop an app.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB

Default Re: Open office (odt) app?

dave_h_946 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks for the reply but even if I manage to find the .bar file for this, it's a viewer only. No editing options.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,120 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave_h_946 View Post

Libreoffice for iPad and Android is only coming out in 2013, so it's safe to say that there isn't any app right now.

I like LibreOffice as well, it's a chance to break free from the shackles of MS Office. One solution I'm following with great interest is the Ubuntu for Android project. On Youtube you can see working demos of LibreOffice.

This is the one big differentiator of the Windows tablets. It can run the big boy versions of MS Office. It is priced way too high though. Maybe in a year's time.
    Thanked by:
    dave_h_946 (12-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB

umm and online editor wouldn't work for you?
    dave_h_946 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedxD View Post
    umm and online editor wouldn't work for you?
    Google docs did support odt, now there is a discussion in progress because odt docs are no longer readable. It isn't clear if this was intentionally dropped by Google or if its a bug.

You could try Kingsoft Office from Goodereader, says it supports 23 doc types but it doesn't list all of them.... Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market

Your could try the following on same page Olive Office premium, office suite viewer 6 premium, open office document reader, Yozo mobile office.
    Thanked by:
    dave_h_946 (12-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Hi guys,

I have posted the same question in the PlayBook Apps & Games forum. I don't mean to clutter forums with the same query but I am quite desperate.

I write various papers on my PC using exclusively LibreOffice. I save them in odt format in dropbox. When I am out and about I want to be able not only to read them but also to edit them.
    Naturally, I can just convert them in doc format and keep editing them in my PB, which is what I am currently doing. But this process means that some of the original formatting might be lost, let alone my references (using Mendeley).

This is a very important issue for me especially for lengthy papers.
    There is an app in appworld (OpenOffice Document Reader) but it doesn't work.

I don't want to convert my papers. I want to read and edit them.
    It would be much appreciated,

P.S. It is times such as these that I wish I had the knowledge or time to learn and develop an app.
    RE: I have posted the same question in the PlayBook Apps & Games forum. I don't mean to clutter forums with the same query but I am quite desperate.

Dave,
    I had posted up a lengthy response suggesting a work around using Google Docs but deleted it as it posted about the same time as the post above. When you do find a solution...
    DO A FOLLOW UP POST with DETAILS like you'd like to see..

Using Google Docs method:
    Edit and convert OpenOffice documents on your Android tablet | TechRepublic
    Thanked by:
    dave_h_946 (12-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB

Quote Originally Posted by djenkins6 View Post
    Google docs did support odt, now there is a discussion in progress because odt docs are no longer readable. It isn't clear if this was intentionally dropped by Google or if its a bug.

You could try Kingsoft Office from Goodereader, says it supports 23 doc types but it doesn't list all of them.... Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market

Your could try the following on same page Olive Office premium, office suite viewer 6 premium, open office document reader, Yozo mobile office.
    I googled it and I found zoho docs(it's web versions really sucks on the pb) and they have an android app that we could convert

Edit: http://apk2bar.unker.net/bar/e6/1c/5...s_v1.0.2.0.bar zoho docs converted
    Thanked by:
    dave_h_946 (12-01-2012) 
    Herve5 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

I installed Open or Libre office many times, but always ended up with MSWord because my clients wanted it, and some pro software as well. I have more or less given up because with word and then Google Drive on Android I'm fine.

However, for EDITING files I would never use a tablet, of any brand. Writing is for desktops and latpops.
    Thanked by:
    dave_h_946 (12-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by RedxD View Post
    I googled it and I found zoho docs(it's web versions really sucks on the pb) and they have an android app that we could convert

Edit: http://apk2bar.unker.net/bar/e6/1c/5...s_v1.0.2.0.bar zoho docs converted
    sideloaded, created zoho account, tried to login (which apparently means it won't work offline?), nothing happens but a temporary small rectangle in the middle of the login screen, that vanishes after 5s...
    Keep us informed your side!
    H.
    Thanked by:
    dave_h_946 (12-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,852 Global Posts

Have you looked at File Converter for Blackberry Playbook. Not sure what this would do to your formatting and what a back and forth conversion might result in.
    dave_h_946 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB

Quote Originally Posted by Herve5 View Post
    sideloaded, created zoho account, tried to login (which apparently means it won't work offline?), nothing happens but a temporary small rectangle in the middle of the login screen, that vanishes after 5s...
    Keep us informed your side!
    H.
    It worth the shot, for me it just crashed, I guess it's a no go
    Thanked by:
    dave_h_946 (12-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Dear all,

Apologies for the delay.
    Many thanks for your replies/advice/suggestions. It seems that the bottom line is that at the moment there is no viable solution to read and edit .odt documents. Not only in PB but in other tablets/OSs as well. That's really a shame. I guess it is moments such as these that someone understands the important input of app developers in OSs.

I will keep trying to find a solution and if I come across with something I will post it. I am sure many use libre/open office and would be interested in such an app.

Again many thanks. Any further suggestions are very welcomed.
    CrackBerry Addict

(...) It seems that the bottom line is that at the moment there is no viable solution to read and edit .odt documents. Not only in PB but in other tablets/OSs as well. That's really a shame.
    I definitely agree with the shame -but for reading, here (on latest system) the openoffice document reader just works fluently, including for big docs with lots of accentuated fonts etc.
    The only thing is, I didn't manage to actually copy a text from there (in spite of the active selection tool and an actual "copy" command! What did I miss?), and that's too bad because it'd allow me to transfer from there to e. g. Smart Office... If people wiser than me can have a try...