Wifi works at home only???? Help any ideas?
    11-26-12 07:29 PM
    Have you visited a MacDonalds restaurant that provide free WiFi? I suspect you are simply doing something incorrectly when attempting to connect to a WiFi network away from your home.
    11-26-12 07:43 PM
    Have you visited a MacDonalds restaurant that provide free WiFi? I suspect you are simply doing something incorrectly when attempting to connect to a WiFi network away from your home.
    Yes I'm at a hotel with wifi now.playbook says I'm connected,but when I open browser and try to go online I get a screen that says "unknown network error" . Same thing happend to me 2 weeks ago at a different hotel. But it works fine at home???
    11-26-12 08:04 PM
    After your wifi connects does the hotels web Page open for you to accept there usage agreement? My past experiences I remember getting some kind of error if I did not accept the terms of there usage agreement.

11-26-12 08:21 PM
    After your wifi connects does the hotels web Page open for you to accept there usage agreement? My past experiences I remember getting some kind of error if I did not accept the terms of there usage agreement.

I restarted I got a screen asking about hotspot login for the hotels wifi I pressed ok and then I get the same screen "unknown error"
    11-26-12 08:32 PM
    Call the front desk. They probably deal with all the time. When you can you need to get a BB phone and use bridge, tho the free wifi saves on your data plan. Good luck.
    11-26-12 10:13 PM
    Call the front desk. They probably deal with all the time. When you can you need to get a BB phone and use bridge, tho the free wifi saves on your data plan. Good luck.
    My buddy is with me and his ipad works fine?
    11-26-12 10:22 PM
    My buddy is with me and his ipad works fine?
    Can you tell on the Apple iPad if the WiFi is 802.11 B or G or N? Hotels are notorious for not working with certain devices but in this case it might be their choice of protocol mode. What is the hotel chain because someone on this forum might have experienced the same issue and found a resolution.
    11-26-12 10:32 PM
    It has been a while since this happened to me and if I remember correctly the default browser didn't work for me and I had to use simple browser and change the user agent. What browser are you using?
    11-26-12 10:51 PM
    More info on the matter......... I believe I copied the link from the address bar and pasted it into the address bar on the simple browser. Copy the address that is in the bar when it asks about hotspot login for the hotels wifi.
    11-26-12 10:53 PM
    More info on the matter......... I believe I copied the link from the address bar and pasted it into the address bar on the simple browser. Copy the address that is in the bar when it asks about hotspot login for the hotels wifi.
    Thank guys I will try this,its weird cause I stayed here in August and it worked fine.
    11-26-12 11:27 PM
    Ok still can't access web through the browser but email is working fine.
    11-27-12 07:02 PM
    Try connecting to the wifi on your phone and the bridging.

I know it sounds ridiculous but sometimes my Playbook can't get a WiFi signal but my phone can, so I turn on my BB Wifi, bridge my BB to the PB and then use the internet.
    Works especially well for places with spotty WiFi.
    11-27-12 09:01 PM
    Wifi says its connected,hit browser icon and type in a url and all I get is unknowen error
    11-27-12 09:34 PM
    Use manual DNS entries:

Those are Google DNS and Open DNS which are both very good.

You can manually edit the WiFi config to use these. It eliminates one factor at least in terms of potential issues.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-27-12 10:33 PM
    Wifi says its connected,hit browser icon and type in a url and all I get is unknowen error
    When that happens to me, it's a sign that the browser has got hung up and restarting the PB fixes it. Same thing if any app becomes non-responsive or doing strange things, a restart is needed to clear it up.

And speaking of hotels, two weeks ago I had problems connecting to the wifi, the password wasn't being accepted. Then only when the hotspot login came up, I realized I was picking up the wifi of the hotel next door! Worked fine once I got that sorted out.
    Last edited by oilgeo10; 11-27-12 at 11:15 PM.
    11-27-12 11:00 PM