Has anyone identified a solution for this? One of my Playbooks that was upgraded works fine, my newer one doesn't.

Can we just do a reboot or something?
    10-12-12 07:33 PM
    It charges the same as before. Ignore the warning.
    10-12-12 07:59 PM
    Connected to a computer it may only charge while in standby and my god is it ever slow. Why would you do this to yourself
    10-12-12 08:03 PM
    Be cautious about over investing time. I have a 64gb that had a very sudden and very drastic battery / mobo failure.

At the same time USB 2.0 is very finicky. USB 3.0 is better. But I wouldnt rely on either for PB charging, its just not reliable enough.

Ed.
    10-12-12 10:58 PM
    I gave up on the the usb charger and bought the charging dock which uses the other connection beside the usb. Much safer and quicker than what seems to be a fragile connection. Picked up my one new for 25 UK pounds.
    10-13-12 06:31 AM
    I just noticed this myself since I haven't plugged mine to my pc in a long time...I USED to be able to charge it but now it actually get a notification that says "cannot charge through this source" and there is no charging icon of any kind on the battery. i can only assume that this "feature" was removed in the last os update because like i said I was able to charge through this before... and for people asking why would you want to? you are not offering a solution to the problem, there could be many reasons why we would need to...maybe we forgot our charger and this is the only option we have. sure it's slow but if we are going to be at work all day then at the very least we can get the battery half way full.
    SEAWARRIOR and sw6lee like this.
    12-01-12 09:36 PM
    It's not a feature that was removed, but rather a feature that was added. What was added was the notification not to charge via computer, since the charge will take forever to complete, same as before.
    DC506 likes this.
    12-01-12 09:48 PM
    Why would you charge it with the USB cable in the first place? That's what the wall charger is for. Depending what you have plugged into your PC your USB ports may not be supplying enough power..
    12-01-12 11:08 PM
    Why would you charge it with the USB cable in the first place? That's what the wall charger is for. Depending what you have plugged into your PC your USB ports may not be supplying enough power..
    The post two above yours explains it clearly - someone may have forgotten the charger and is at their desktop with a computer and a usb cable - hook it up and let it suck as much juice as it can. Maybe not perfect but it can do in a pinch.

edited to fix missing word
    Last edited by F2; 12-02-12 at 10:34 AM.
    12-01-12 11:39 PM
    Either your cable is not working or your computer port is not working simple solution .. Try in another PC
    12-02-12 12:44 AM
    USB charging seems to be complicated in that some computers only allow it on particular USB plugs and the playbook may require a particular cord to allow recognition of the computer as a charging source. When you are saying it doesn't charge I assume you left it attached for a while in standby and got no increase in battery charge. What pacoman03 is saying I believe is to disregard a warning saying that it will not charge with this source or something like that.
    12-02-12 02:34 AM
    USB ports often do not provide sufficient amp to charge and some computers/laptops also control power or shut off USB ports which don't come back until a reboot (as I found out on my laptop). This is without warning... just all of a sudden the USB port turns off, you would not notice anything different except you plug anything in and won't recognize or charge it, until PC is rebooted and it works again.

You should charge through wall adapter, not computer. Only use computer for copying files and backup from/to Playbook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    12-02-12 03:02 AM
    This has been explained several times in the forum since the release of OS 2.1.

The USB charger that came with the Playbook supplies a maximum of 1800 mA (1.8 A).
    The USB chargers that come with most phones supplies a maximum of 700 mA (0.7 A).
    USB ports on a computer supply a maximum of 500 mA but a constant output of ~380 mA.
    Charging through a USB port theoretically would take 4 times longer than through the supplied USB charger.
    This is theoretical because it assumes that the Playbook is consuming no power while charging, which isn't the case.
    When you first connect the Playbook the screen is on or comes on which uses power. Once the screen goes off the Playbook will charge through the USB port but very slowly. If you have no other choice put the Playbook in Airplane mode and put it in Standby as soon as you connect it to the computer. You can also get or make a USB charging only cable that will prevent the computer and Playbook from trying to communicate with each other. This would prevent the Playbook from coming out of Standby.
    12-02-12 09:51 AM
    This has been explained several times in the forum since the release of OS 2.1.

The USB charger that came with the Playbook supplies a maximum of 1800 mA (1.8 A).
    The USB chargers that come with most phones supplies a maximum of 700 mA (0.7 A).
    USB ports on a computer supply a maximum of 500 mA but a constant output of ~380 mA.
    Charging through a USB port theoretically would take 4 times longer than through the supplied USB charger.
    This is theoretical because it assumes that the Playbook is consuming no power while charging, which isn't the case.
    When you first connect the Playbook the screen is on or comes on which uses power. Once the screen goes off the Playbook will charge through the USB port but very slowly. If you have no other choice put the Playbook in Airplane mode and put it in Standby as soon as you connect it to the computer. You can also get or make a USB charging only cable that will prevent the computer and Playbook from trying to communicate with each other. This would prevent the Playbook from coming out of Standby.
    AT&T stores have sold this Charge Only cable - about $10.00
    12-02-12 10:36 AM
    All (ok, almost all) these guys are not helping LOL. Don't you know that charging via computer WAS POSSIBLE before 2.1?? STOP saying that it's normal that the charging via computer is not working.
    omega supreme likes this.
    12-02-12 01:26 PM
    With tablets charging through the computer USB port is not usually considered best practice or to be adopted as a standard practice. Thus charging in this manner is arguably not normal.

: a form or state regarded as the norm : standard
    12-02-12 01:44 PM
    All (ok, almost all) these guys are not helping LOL. Don't you know that charging via computer WAS POSSIBLE before 2.1?? STOP saying that it's normal that the charging via computer is not working.
    What don't you understand? The PB could charge through USB under OS 2.0. The PB can still charge via USB under 2.1. The difference is that you now get a notification that it won't charge. This notification is in fact wrong, it will still charge, just very slowly- same as before. That being said, if you're connected by USB and don't have your PB in standby, it may in fact lose charge depending on what you're doing with it- same as before.
    omega supreme likes this.
    12-02-12 02:06 PM
    Okay, I've just plugged in the 32gig. Its battery is 90% according to Guru. I see, the "will not charge" message is actually a Notification. I dismissed it. I just put it into standby. Let's see what happens over the next few hours.....
    12-02-12 02:18 PM
    In standby, it should definitely charge. But, when you get the notification, you're not exactly in standby, are you?
    12-02-12 02:22 PM
    Just so this does not get lost, I will create a new reply rather than edit to my other one.

I plugged in at 12:18pm according to the message posting time. It is now 1:48PM. My 32 gig went into standby at the initial time with 90% Charge. It now has 100%, yes, 100% charge using the usb port on my computer. Used the standard BB cable which is both charge AND DATA (I know it is data since my computer shows the 32gig as Drive Z.

The pb was in STANDBY - no action till I swiped and entered my password.

So while the pb gives that "no charge on usb" Notice, it does in fact charge IN STANDBY. I have not tested it under use conditions and don't intend to. I know in the past using it on the usb port does not provide charging and use power.

My usb port on the computer was a front port. I know from past experience that the ports on a pc (mac are not my area) can differ, front or back or other. I also know that in the Control Panel, there are settings to have the usb port power off or go into standby to save power. So check those for your setup and operational needs.

Over and out..............
    BlazorBoy and Angus_CB like this.
    12-02-12 03:56 PM
    We'll explain it all again next week.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-03-12 04:59 AM
    We'll explain it all again next week.
    Rim could help if they modified the erroneous message. But that fix should come after they fix the "empty dock" bug!
    12-03-12 08:59 AM