I just had this thought the other day and got really excited. The upcoming version of offline GMail, which is technically a web app, could be a very good alternative to the upcoming Playbook native email. The playbook browser is based on webkit, fully supports HTML5 standards, and supports SQLite--all you need for a web app to work, really.

If the new Gmail web app shapes up as I expect it to, it would be a GREAT alternative to any email client on any tablet. Both non-corporate (regular GMail users) and corporate users (on Google Apps) would benefit. Since Playbook is the closest you can get to a desktop browser, I have little doubt it'll be capable of supporting any web app from Google.

Offline Gmail: Chrome Browser Update - Google Apps Help
    06-26-11 05:23 PM
    it wouldn't be an alternative to push email that we r waiting for
    06-26-11 05:48 PM
    How are you going to get push email on a wifi tab?
    06-26-11 05:49 PM
    How are you going to get push email on a wifi tab?
    just like you do on a phone....
    06-26-11 05:54 PM
    I thought to get RIM's push email the device needs a RIM data plan? Guess not.
    06-26-11 05:55 PM
    well , i guess it should work as same as on mobile network .
    06-26-11 05:57 PM
    So I can get push RIM email on my laptop? Wouldn't that be the same difference?
    06-26-11 05:58 PM
    Expecting push email on a wifi-only device?
    Not sure that makes sense?
    06-26-11 05:59 PM
    Expecting push email on a wifi-only device?
    Not sure that makes sense?
    Exactly what I said.
    06-26-11 06:00 PM
    if u mean BIS , we can get BIS through a wifi connection
    06-26-11 06:01 PM
    So I can get push RIM email on my laptop? Wouldn't that be the same difference?
    dont forget that Playbook is still a blackberry device.
    if u run blackberry os on ur laptop may be it's possible (not sure if u need some blackberry chips in it too )
    06-26-11 06:05 PM
    i dont mean BIS even. there are other methods for push like activesync/exchange.
    I believe you to be correct, my friend.
    To get push email, first off, you'll need BIS/BES, which rides on a data plan.
    as long as the device can connect to a bis/bes you will get push, that works over wifi already on the phones (try turning on wifi and disabling the mobile radios, icon still shows and bbm/email works as normal)

problem is deciding who's bis/bes you connect to, and how much they'll charge you for that priveledge, better off just using bridge in my opinion, or keep a gmail tab open and hit refresh now and again

exchange support would be nice, but youll still be limited to when you have a connection available however you do it
    Last edited by Donnee; 06-26-11 at 06:11 PM.
    06-26-11 06:08 PM
    i dont mean BIS even. there are other methods for push like activesync/exchange.
    obviously there must be, otherwise non-BB users will never see push email
    06-26-11 06:09 PM
    or keep a gmail tab open and hit refresh now and again
    I believe GMail is actually built on ajax, so it refreshes itself.
    I never hit the Refresh button on my desktop browser to update Gmail?
    06-26-11 06:16 PM
    indeed it does, but the pb version didnt seem to for me.

Maybe its on a timer, which doesnt run while the tab isnt in focus? Only time ive seen it auto refresh on the pb is when ive been sat staring at the inbox
    06-26-11 06:19 PM
    Not sure how you expect push email to work on a wifi-only tab like the Playbook.
    Push e-mail is realtime, so you need to be connected all the time.

Offline GMail is exactly meant for one thing--offline access.
    It's like MS Outlook on a tablet--you have access to your entire mailbox and archives.
    When you connect to the internet, then everything goes realtime again.
    06-26-11 06:25 PM
    indeed it does, but the pb version didnt seem to for me.

Maybe its on a timer, which doesnt run while the tab isnt in focus? Only time ive seen it auto refresh on the pb is when ive been sat staring at the inbox
    Are you viewing gmail in "desktop" version or the mobile HTML5 version?
    06-26-11 06:27 PM
    Are you viewing gmail in "desktop" version or the mobile HTML5 version?
    the default mobile one that the pb brings up (inbox on left, reading pane on right) - youll have to forgive me, im not sure whether its html 5, java, or tiny midgets doing some voodoo in the back of the tab
    06-26-11 06:31 PM
    Not sure how you expect push email to work on a wifi-only tab like the Playbook.
    Push e-mail is realtime, so you need to be connected all the time.

Offline GMail is exactly meant for one thing--offline access.
    It's like MS Outlook on a tablet--you have access to your entire mailbox and archives.
    When you connect to the internet, then everything goes realtime again.
    push email is real time as long as u r connected. even on the mobile network u r not connected all the time (eg. out of coverage or turned off device) , so wt it does is to sync anything missed when u r connected back, the same thing apply to wifi as well.
    problem here is not about being connected all the time but the technology through which RIM delivers push email .
    howarmat likes this.
    06-26-11 06:32 PM
    push email is real time as long as u r connected. even on the mobile network u r not connected all the time (eg. out of coverage or turned off device) , so wt it does is to sync anything missed when u r connected back, the same thing apply to wifi as well.
    problem here is not about being connected all the time but the technology through which RIM delivers push email .
    Okay, got your point: not really the "push", but the "always on".
    Because I can argue that, on a wifi-only device, having GMail is as good as having "push" email (could be even better actually).
    It's not always on though, as you'll have to bring up a browser to view GMail.
    06-26-11 06:40 PM
    exactly, you still get everything pushed/synced back up once you get connected or turn the device back on. Same as shutting of a BB on a flight and then turn it back on 5 hours later or whatever.
    06-26-11 06:41 PM
    the default mobile one that the pb brings up (inbox on left, reading pane on right) - youll have to forgive me, im not sure whether its html 5, java, or tiny midgets doing some voodoo in the back of the tab
    you are probably looking at the HTML5 version for mobile!
    Switching to the desktop version will give you the chat option as well.
    The built-in chat for GMail on the playbook will not be the best experience though!

I'm really excited abut Gmail on playbook though.
    One day, that Google Voice plugin could work too!
    06-26-11 06:45 PM
    Okay, got your point: not really the "push", but the "always on".
    Because I can argue that, on a wifi-only device, having GMail is as good as having "push" email (could be even better actually).
    It's not always on though, as you'll have to bring up a browser to view GMail.
    well, there is still a difference , the method u r talking about is 'pull' in which the device checks for new mail at a set time interval. but in push technology it pushes the mail to device as soon an it arrived in the server.

my argument is having push email is still better at least while u r connected to wifi (in practice it will be connected to a wifi network almost all the time u use it .
    06-26-11 06:52 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD