From beta zone:
    Yep, we're working on it. It is on the table for an upcoming update.*

Thanks,

John

Now we wait. lol
    Just Me and bbfan1040 like this.
    11-29-11 11:25 AM
    Please elaborate. What would be streamed via Bluetooth?
    11-29-11 11:32 AM
    ok. so what will we be able to do with this? stream music through bridge? sorry if i sound dumb but what are the possibilities that this unlocks?
    11-29-11 11:32 AM
    PB will be able to utilize A2DP, which will allow audio stream through bluetooth devices.
    baldo, bbfan1040 and alphecca like this.
    11-29-11 11:35 AM
    I guess I could work for RIm and send out these emails..

"yes, absolutely, it will be coming in the future."
    FF22 and esqlaw like this.
    11-29-11 11:37 AM
    This has been posted before but i just wanted to check on the status. But it is as Summtin says a2dp profiles. I guess with all the different types of devices to stream to and from it takes awhile to get all the kinks out. I will post as soon as I see something in the beta zone about it. And before anyone asks who John is he is the BlackBerry Project Manager.

11-29-11 11:44 AM
    Sometimes I just laugh at RIM and their "its coming soon" mantra; I recognize that things take time but honestly, its just laughable now. Oh well; I suppose we get used to it. At least my "coming soon" PSP Vita has A2DP built in
    esqlaw likes this.
    11-29-11 12:03 PM
    From beta zone:
    Yep, we're working on it. It is on the table for an upcoming update.*

Thanks,

John

Now we wait. lol
    And what timeframe is disclosed in "upcoming update?"
    11-29-11 12:14 PM
    I'm thinking that it will be rolled out with more "minor" OS releases that RIM will be pushing out between now and the big OS2 release in Feb 2012.
    11-29-11 12:25 PM
    "RE: Bluetooth Streaming
    Options
    Nov 29, 2011 01:28pm
    Will the upgrade be BT 3.0? *Will this be coming with the PB 2.0 upgrade in Feb?

John

BlackBerry Project Manager

RE: Bluetooth Streaming
    Nov 29, 2011 01:29pm
    I don't have the specifics to share, sorry.

John"

There's your answer. Sorta! Kinda!
    Last edited by sllock; 11-29-11 at 12:43 PM.
    baldo likes this.
    11-29-11 12:38 PM
    I've been waiting for A2DP since May, This news makes me very happy
    11-29-11 12:46 PM
    "RE: Bluetooth Streaming
    Options
    Nov 29, 2011 01:28pm
    Will the upgrade be BT 3.0? *Will this be coming with the PB 2.0 upgrade in Feb?

John

BlackBerry Project Manager

RE: Bluetooth Streaming
    Nov 29, 2011 01:29pm
    I don't have the specifics to share, sorry.

John"

There's your answer. Sorta! Kinda!
    Well, at least he didnt give a date only to see that date come and go and increase the hositility amongst consumers. Gotta give him credit for that Btw, my knowledge of BT is rather limited, but what would be the benefits of BT 3.0 as opposed to BT 2.0? Also, my understanding is that A2DP can work in BT 2.0 and doesnt need the 3.0 standard. Is that still correct?
    11-29-11 01:15 PM
    Well, at least he didnt give a date only to see that date come and go and increase the hositility amongst consumers. Gotta give him credit for that Btw, my knowledge of BT is rather limited, but what would be the benefits of BT 3.0 as opposed to BT 2.0? Also, my understanding is that A2DP can work in BT 2.0 and doesnt need the 3.0 standard. Is that still correct?
    A2DP has been around as a BT profile for a while now, since at least BT 1.2 if not 1.0. I've been streaming stereo audio via BT since 2005 (starting with streaming from my PC to my home stereo). So it's far from rocket science for RIM to implement this in the PB. As a matter of fact, it almost sounds like a joke for the guy to say that it's "on the table for an upcoming update" (note he didn't say "the" upcoming update). This should have been in the PB from the get-go, and it's one more sign of how this product was released prematurely.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-29-11 01:30 PM
    The reason I asked BB John about BT 3.0 is because I read somewhere in this forum that our playbook is capable of BT 3.0 but is not activated as yet. His short answer was shorter than I had hoped but read another way he did not say BT 3.0 is not possible.

To appreciate the difference between BT 2.1 and BT 3.0 watch this:
    11-29-11 02:05 PM
    The reason I asked BB John about BT 3.0 is because I read somewhere in this forum that our playbook is capable of BT 3.0 but is not activated as yet. His short answer was shorter than I had hoped but read another way he did not say BT 3.0 is not possible.

From ifixit.com's teardown of the Playbook, it uses the Texas Instruments WL1283 GPS/WLAN/Bluetooth/FM.

More info about it here:

Mobile Wireless LAN - WiLink� 7.0 Solutions

So we also have an FM receiver in our Playbook as well as BT3.0 capability. The rapid development RIM is doing I expect us to be able use this functionality possibly in late 2013
    FF22 and RicThot like this.
    11-29-11 02:44 PM
    I'd rather he told us we'd have to wait until OS2 officially launches to see this update than "an upcoming update". I never had doubt the PB would get this feature, I just want to know when, esp since I dropped my PB with the HDMI connected the damaged the HDMI port so its basically not usable. :'(
    11-29-11 02:50 PM

But we're talking A2DP streaming here, not file transfer rates. I'm not saying that streaming might not have some kind of improvement in 3.0, but the point is that A2DP is fine with 2.1, yet RIM hasn't even bothered to implement it.
    11-29-11 04:31 PM
    *yawn* just another reason to love my playbook EVEN MORE THAN I ALREADY DO on the way... hohum..
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-29-11 at 04:39 PM.
    11-29-11 04:37 PM
    Wouldn't both devices have to be bluetooth 3 to experience the benefit of the improved speed?
    11-29-11 04:39 PM
    *yawn* just another reason to love my playbook EVEN MORE THAN I ALREADY DO on the way... hohum..
    Yup, finally MAYBE giving you features that should have been here months ago - what's not to love! Oh, maybe that those features are not here yet and may not be and may not be and ....
    11-29-11 05:26 PM
    Wouldn't both devices have to be bluetooth 3 to experience the benefit of the improved speed?
    Good point!

@JasW Yes that is how the conversation started. Point taken. I asked John if A2DP and BT 3.0 were coming in Feb. Conversation split from there.

I used my BT headphones on my old Storm 2 and now on my Torch 9800. Bought my 'book in May and was disappointed and surprised the headphones do not work. I agree their upgrade schedules have been somewhat less than lackluster.

In for a penny, in for a pound at this stage of the game.
    11-29-11 05:48 PM
    So we also have an FM receiver in our Playbook as well as BT3.0 capability. The rapid development RIM is doing I expect us to be able use this functionality possibly in late 2013
    Just because the chipset supports it doesn't mean the hardware does. There's a lot more to it like actually having antennas, amplifiers, etc. It's very common in electronic devices to not use every feature of a chipset. The OMAP 4 inside the PlayBook supports everything from eSATA to IrDA (infrared), but the PlayBook has none of the other hardware required to actually make it work.
    11-29-11 08:28 PM
    Ill buy a playbook when this comes out so keep us updated. I'm basically going to be buying a playbook for my truck and I don't want an ugly *** aux cord sticking out of my screen. So patiently waiting.
    11-29-11 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD