@kbzht

Re: PlayBook Commercial at SuperBowl... Sounds like the plan originally **was** for them to pick up a half-time commercial, but once they knew it would be into March/April for launch then they shelved the idea (which makes sense). You gotta remember, RIM didn't pick April 10th as a launch date back at DevCon in September. When they announced the PlayBook, the thing barely existed... they just knew if they hustled they could get it to market fairly quick... sometime Q1. There were lots of rumors they'd orginally try and launch for Christmas, which fell to January, which fell to February. My SuperBowl prediction came pretty early... I was saying that back at DevCon that would be the marketing dream (a device called PlayBook launching at SuperBowl). Once SuperBowl got closer, I pretty much had zero hope of seeing a commercial there.

PLUS... ya know.. RIM probably knew how much the Black Eyed Peas would blow the half time show and didn't want to associate the PlayBook with that performance.

Interesting to see that RIM's Chief of Marketing just stepped down at RIM.... maybe he was that mad they couldn't get a superbowl commercial this year. lol
    mcjohn likes this.
    03-05-11 09:05 AM
    I was expecting a March 17/16 release date because they pushed back the free playbook developer day to March 16, and the Staples employee training session was on March 17th I believe, but then again, that was a while back. Lets hope I can get the PlayBook in my hands for my Birthday (April 9) but maybe soon after, although it was supposed to be my Christmas present.
    03-05-11 09:38 AM
    March 31, 2010
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    RESEARCH IN MOTION REPORTS YEAR-END AND FOURTH QUARTER RESULTS FOR FISCAL 2010 ...
    I am sure somebody has pointed out, Research in Motion Financial year ends on March 31, not December 31.

Q1 begins on April 1.

They are right on schedule for a Q1 release in April.
    03-05-11 09:58 AM
    I am sure somebody has pointed out, Research in Motion Financial year ends on March 31, not December 31.

Q1 begins on April 1.

They are right on schedule for a Q1 release in April.
    Reed, if you go back to the Interviews, it was clearly said Calendar Q1 NOT fiscal Q1, this debate has been had many times.

Though I'm sure they can spin it to being a miss wording or something
    Rickroller and howarmat like this.
    03-05-11 10:06 AM
    Kevin where is your source on April 10th other than "trust me I know"?
    03-05-11 10:21 AM
    Kevin where is your source on April 10th other than "trust me I know"?
    I'm sure if you cornered him, or anybody at bgr who said the same thing, the response would be "I can't reveal my source or they would get in trouble."

Kinda annoying. Oh and Kevin- interesting rebuttle on the superbowl situation but there is just tooooo many variables there. I chucked that whole scenario weeks before the superbowl.

We have had two RIM employees of rather respectable rank debunk it and say it was wrong in the US, that it would be out before Q1 ended.

JUST A THOUGHT: What if they are all correct? Follow me: RIM clearly stated this would be a "staggard" release. The UK RIM authority said thiers would be out in Q2. Canadian sources are saying April 15 I think. What if bgr's and Kevin's sources told them April 10 and that date was accurate... but outside the US?

Speculating here, but the word is the OS goes gold March 31. They also said, right out of the box the playbook would require an OS upgrade. Smile! If all units were released after March 31 they theoretically could have already had the gold code installed. Why bother with this warning unless there would be some released before March 31, like here in the US?

My $.02...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by kb5zht; 03-05-11 at 11:01 AM.
    03-05-11 10:55 AM
    No offense to Kevin etc but til rim says i wont believe it.
    03-05-11 11:52 AM
    PLUS... ya know.. RIM probably knew how much the Black Eyed Peas would blow the half time show and didn't want to associate the PlayBook with that performance.
    Well there it is. Not only did the Black Eyed Peas f@$! up the half time show, they f@$!ed up the PlayBook release. I knew there was a reason why I never listened to them ... besides the fact that they suck.
    03-05-11 11:54 AM
    Well there it is. Not only did the Black Eyed Peas f@$! up the half time show, they f@$!ed up the PlayBook release. I knew there was a reason why I never listened to them ... besides the fact that they suck.
    Bwaahaaaahaaaaaa !!!!

03-05-11 01:01 PM
    Dumb thread. I'd be a little annoyed too if it was April 10th and it was only released. But it's not April 10. So until they ACTUALLY miss the Q1 promise, they ARE NOT late. Man, are people so thickheaded these days?

03-05-11 01:21 PM
    Dumb thread. I'd be a little annoyed too if it was April 10th and it was only released. But it's not April 10. So until they ACTUALLY miss the Q1 promise, they ARE NOT late. Man, are people so thickheaded these days?

If you'd read the op, it would be clear that you've missed the point of this thread.

sleepngbear likes this.
    03-05-11 02:29 PM
    If you'd read the op, it would be clear that you've missed the point of this thread.

Thank you.

What I find truly amusing is that there's actually more intelligent and entertaining dialog going on here and much less personal bashing, when this thread was supposed to be a humorous poke at all the complaining that seems to work its way into every other thread.

Irony at its finest.
    03-05-11 03:24 PM
    I was surprised by that too.
    I haven't noticed Tucker, Civic, or any of the other usual iPhans or phAndroids here. Very strange.

03-05-11 03:29 PM
    Thank you.

What I find truly amusing is that there's actually more intelligent and entertaining dialog going on here and much less personal bashing, when this thread was supposed to be a humorous poke at all the complaining that seems to work its way into every other thread.

Irony at its finest.
    Thanks for a very entertaining thread!
    Now, don't forget, monkeys need fibre too, or they can get a little cranky.
    03-05-11 03:54 PM
    N4BB confirms app world for playbook to come out this month. Maybe its a sign?

n4bb.com/4802/exclusive-blackberry-2011-software-roadmap-os-7-bis-4-1-and-more

03-05-11 04:04 PM
    1) The icon seem to spill into April. 2) That's a roadmap and is subject to change. 3)Just because AppWorld is being worked on and hopefully finished during that time doesn't mean they'll launch the PB then.

With Kevin's assurance of an April launch, I think most of us have resigned to accepting that. Not that we're happy about it, but we've accepted it as a very possible reality.
    03-05-11 04:43 PM
    If RIM is late, the consumer may not be happy, but the shareholders will be pissed. You'll see RIM's shares go down huge. The marketing guy leaving RIM right before the Playbook launch is not a good sign either.
    03-05-11 08:58 PM
    If RIM is late, the consumer may not be happy, but the shareholders will be pissed. You'll see RIM's shares go down huge. The marketing guy leaving RIM right before the Playbook launch is not a good sign either.
    as long as RIM doesn't miss a financial quarter their shares will not see much of a change, March/April are both Q1 2012 for RIM, so if it falls into that month and RIM's predictions include the sales of the Playbook in their growth then the shares will stay consistent, I don't see them jumping more than 5-7% with the launch of the playbook,
    03-06-11 07:09 AM
    Actually your assertion, if true, would imply more a more negative scenario; if they haven't dedicated so much time and resources to this project- though Balsillie said they were focusing on it and then the other projects later- and yet nothing else has been accomplished with the resources made available outside of tinkering with OS 6- would bode very bad in an objective obsessment of rim's performance.
    I took that stuff to mean focusing on the qnx tablet before qnx blackberries and not that they would abandon all their current projects which would be financially suicidal.

There are no qnx based blackberries. Their own claim was that qnx requires dual core processors- hince the focus on the playbook- and dual core processors require battery technology that "isn't quite there yet" (according to rim's co-ceo's own words) so that is why their road map lists future devices with single core 1.2 gig cpu's at the top end. Work on "superphones" is so far down the road its not even on the radar now.
    I meant that a fair amount of the people currently working on the playbook would tend to be moving onto work for the future qnx blackberries (and playbook 2 maybe) as they won't all be needed for updates and the stuff for the 3g/4g versions.
    03-06-11 08:32 AM
    I really don't like the fact we still don't have a concrete date for release at this point. I'm still going to buy the PlayBook, but it does suck that the Xoom (which really didn't even function at CES) and the iPad2 have/are beating RIM to release.

This is however balanced with the fact that RIM has to PERFECT the PlayBook prior to release. Given the ton of negative press over the last year (years?) they cannot afford any defects in the PlayBook at all. So I understand. The nut in me who wants the new device, is quite upset though : )
    That or they are hoping that by delaying the launch they can put together a bigger native App Market for the Blackberry Playbook.

I think it might be a combination of both, the longer they delay it the more apps they can have at launch at the same time they can improve the functionality of the Playbook. At least that is my theory.
    03-06-11 03:31 PM
    1) The icon seem to spill into April. 2) That's a roadmap and is subject to change. 3)Just because AppWorld is being worked on and hopefully finished during that time doesn't mean they'll launch the PB then.

With Kevin's assurance of an April launch, I think most of us have resigned to accepting that. Not that we're happy about it, but we've accepted it as a very possible reality.
    My point is why should anybody waste their time with a roadmap when rim's practices prove its meaningless.

If they miss their q1 target for the playbook launch, what do any of their targets mean?

How many people in here have been puzzled at people who stay in abusive relationships? "They have done it over and over before, they have nobody but themselves to blame for staying."

That is why it is important for rim- who has basically said they are changing with the times and getting back into the game- to thun follow through with action, not just words, and prove it.

Or we have nobody but ourselves to blame for letting them abuse our trust over and over and over.

And over.

03-06-11 04:12 PM
    That or they are hoping that by delaying the launch they can put together a bigger native App Market for the Blackberry Playbook.

I think it might be a combination of both, the longer they delay it the more apps they can have at launch at the same time they can improve the functionality of the Playbook. At least that is my theory.
    if it can "run" android apps like everyone is hinting at then it wont matter.
    03-06-11 04:52 PM
    if it can "run" android apps like everyone is hinting at then it wont matter.
    Exactly! So again I'll ask this question.."Did RIM plan ahead of time to potentially run Android apps? OR was this just some kind of Ta Da! moment?"
    03-06-11 07:01 PM
    Exactly! So again I'll ask this question.."Did RIM plan ahead of time to potentially run Android apps? OR was this just some kind of Ta Da! moment?"
    I think, believe it or not, RIM planned it all along with the "compatible with everything" approach to BlackBerry Tablet OS.

03-06-11 07:13 PM
    I think, believe it or not, RIM planned it all along with the "compatible with everything" approach to BlackBerry Tablet OS.

Every other competitor...is upping a phone os to a tablet

RIM is creating a mobile computing platform...big difference ....with support for everthing you can imagine

And last I checked we're only 66% of the way through quarter 1!

Everyone needs to lose the I want it all and I want it now! We wonder why western civilization is collpasing .....lol

03-06-11 08:30 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD