The first official review and leaked video footage were just released.
    Give us your thoughts. My opinion is this could be the first viable competitor in the space to bring treat to Apple.

Head on over: Mobility Insider

Cheers,
    Disposable Hero
    Mobility Insider
    11-16-10 11:36 PM
    Great work to Mobility Insider! Looking forward to the full review after long term testing!
    11-17-10 12:16 AM
    Yeah and it looks like they're pretty positive on it! Everything looks/sounds great except I hope the software ends up being very polished. If the battery life lasts all day under heavy usage and you can tether it with your bb to bbm, browse, video chat, etc., I think RIM has a winner and you can bet I'll grab one at launch!

Still need to see some more reviews and videos in the next coming weeks. But so far so good.
    11-17-10 12:21 AM
    There really are allot of exciting things about the PlayBook.
    This in my mind will be the head to head competitor in the Tablet conversations.

We are working hard to get more data together and will be sure to update you all as we progress.

Cheers,
    Disposable Hero
    Mobility Insider
    11-17-10 12:42 AM
    There really are allot of exciting things about the PlayBook.
    This in my mind will be the head to head competitor in the Tablet conversations.

We are working hard to get more data together and will be sure to update you all as we progress.

Cheers,
    Disposable Hero
    Mobility Insider
    Thank you for the insight! Looking forward to seeing more information/media on it.
    11-17-10 12:53 AM
    Thanks for posting! All these vids that are coming up are really getting me amped up for the PlayBook's release.

I have to admit though the only thing that puts me off a bit is that the PlayBook seems to react a bit slowly to swiping unlike what I'm used to seeing with the Torch. Maybe it's just me. Even if that's the case I'm sure that RIM will have it fixed up and flawless upon release.

Keep the videos coming!
    11-17-10 01:32 AM
    No Micro SD Slot? Damn, I was hoping there would be one.
    11-17-10 08:14 AM
    Thanks for posting! All these vids that are coming up are really getting me amped up for the PlayBook's release.

I have to admit though the only thing that puts me off a bit is that the PlayBook seems to react a bit slowly to swiping unlike what I'm used to seeing with the Torch. Maybe it's just me. Even if that's the case I'm sure that RIM will have it fixed up and flawless upon release.

Keep the videos coming!
    You are kidding right? Don't you mean after several leaked OS's and offical releases?
    11-17-10 08:57 AM
    Even if that's the case I'm sure that RIM will have it fixed up and flawless upon release.

Keep the videos coming!
    Has RIM ever had a product that was "flawless" upon release?
    11-17-10 09:02 AM
    Was it confirmed that there will be no sd slot? That would be a real downer, though not a deal breaker.
    11-17-10 10:20 AM
    The first official review and leaked video footage were just released.
    Give us your thoughts. My opinion is this could be the first viable competitor in the space to bring treat to Apple.

Head on over: Mobility Insider

Cheers,
    Disposable Hero
    Mobility Insider
    thanks for posting that video. a few quick questions if you could

1. When will you post the more in-depth video? excited for it!!!
    2. Were you able to pair the device with a blackberry already?
    11-17-10 10:30 AM
    Yeah and it looks like they're pretty positive on it! Everything looks/sounds great except I hope the software ends up being very polished. If the battery life lasts all day under heavy usage and you can tether it with your bb to bbm, browse, video chat, etc., I think RIM has a winner and you can bet I'll grab one at launch!

Still need to see some more reviews and videos in the next coming weeks. But so far so good.
    My bold added above. We have to stop using the word "tether" with the PlayBook. It will "connect" via SecureBT. That is not tethering. To me, tethering implies an action that violates the TOS of some carriers without paying them additional money. When connected via BT, the PB will just be using the handheld's data stream, with the carrier not seeing anything different.....

Keep the videos coming!
    Was it confirmed that there will be no sd slot? That would be a real downer, though not a deal breaker.
    Again, if you always have your handheld with you, then you have an SD slot on the handheld. I assume when connected via SecureBT, the playbook, and thus native apps like the media player, will be able to access the content on the handheld.....but I could be wrong.
    Chrisjohn1990 likes this.
    11-17-10 11:40 AM
    My bold added above. We have to stop using the word "tether" with the PlayBook. It will "connect" via SecureBT. That is not tethering. To me, tethering implies an action that violates the TOS of some carriers without paying them additional money. When connected via BT, the PB will just be using the handheld's data stream, with the carrier not seeing anything different.....
    Tethering is perfectly accurate. If you look at the PlayBook simulator you'll see PPP chat scripts, almost the exact same ones as I used to tether on Linux. Even on Windows and OS X it's still backed by PPP. A PlayBook tethers using the exact same method as a laptop does, it's tethering.
    11-17-10 12:05 PM
    Nobody has confirmed one yet, and this guy, who has one, did not include it in his list of specs and features.

Not a deal breaker no, but very disappointing if true.
    Chrisjohn1990 likes this.
    11-17-10 12:13 PM

Again, if you always have your handheld with you, then you have an SD slot on the handheld. I assume when connected via SecureBT, the playbook, and thus native apps like the media player, will be able to access the content on the handheld.....but I could be wrong.
    That's making a couple of major assumptions:

1) That the bluetooth connection will be so fast that you can stream video content from your blackberry SD card onto your playbook. I don't know much about bluetooth but I know when I tried to backup files from my phone to my laptop via bluetooth it took multiple hours and I ended up giving up partway through.

2) That you are ONLY using this as a mobile device. That excludes a lot of users. My main purpose (well, excuse really) for purchasing this/another tablet is because my household currently has only one personal computer, and I would much prefer a tablet to use as a personal websurfing/video watching device/toy instead of a second laptop (or netbook). As such, I doubt I will have my blackberries bluetooth turned on the entire time for use as a server - it kills the battery pretty quickly.

I would much rather have a sd card expanding the memory than having to go, plug it into my computer, delete files, replace files, everytime I fill this thing with 16 gb of data (if you even really get 16/32/64 gb of data. I wonder how much room the OS takes up).

3) You are using this primarily as a mobile device, but only go on short trips. If you're away for a week, have your BB phone and your playbook with you, between the two you still might not have enough harddrive space, especially if you start taking videos. Having an SD slot playbook would be very helpful.
    11-17-10 12:27 PM
    With the only option for network connectivity being WiFi, this is NOT being built for the Enterprise. This is OBVIOUSLY a consumer device to compete with the Galaxy Tab, iPad, Dell and all the others coming to market soon.

WiFi to the Enterprise network is very rare and the security is so tight that most people don't bother.

If this doesn't have Eth, USB, Firewire connections for network then this becomes an external monitor for your Blackberry phone. Even the 3G/4G units when delivered will have to use the wireless phone network to get anything done, and those connections are not allowed in most enterprise business networks.
    11-17-10 01:01 PM

WiFi to the Enterprise network is very rare and the security is so tight that most people don't bother.

Not my experience at all.
    11-17-10 02:31 PM
    With the only option for network connectivity being WiFi, this is NOT being built for the Enterprise. This is OBVIOUSLY a consumer device to compete with the Galaxy Tab, iPad, Dell and all the others coming to market soon.

If this doesn't have Eth, USB, Firewire connections for network then this becomes an external monitor for your Blackberry phone. Even the 3G/4G units when delivered will have to use the wireless phone network to get anything done, and those connections are not allowed in most enterprise business networks.
    Hmmm, who knows more about this issue, RIM, the company that is the gold-standard for enterprise mobility or random posters on a forum?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-10 03:10 PM
    As for tablets themselves, I don't think any tablet is a threat to another. The sector for these types of tablets is new and no one knows what the size/sales will be.

Apple seems interested in creating a product that fits into their line-up but won't threaten their laptop or desktop business. RIM seems more interested in creating a product that will take sales from laptops or non-smartphone mobile devices, especially in the enterprise market. There are a lot of sales to be captured before they really will go head-to-head.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-10 03:38 PM

Not my experience at all.
    Mine either. WiFi in the Enterprise is one thing, using WiFi to access an Enterprise via a VPN client is perfectly acceptable for most businesses and the Government.
    11-17-10 05:53 PM
    I can't imagine that RIM (the company know for the most secure cell phone in the world) would jeopardize that title just to have a WiFi tab. I'm sur it will be as secure as ever if not more.
    11-17-10 07:31 PM
    That's not true at all. Companies everywhere have WiFi now. WPA with enterprise authentication is quite effective at making it secure.

If this doesn't have Eth, USB, Firewire connections for network then this becomes an external monitor for your Blackberry phone.
    USB and FireWire aren't even networking standards. You'd look completely ridiculously walking around with a PlayBook with an Ethernet cable dragging behind you. Ethernet isn't exactly a mobile technology, and the PlayBook is a mobile device. So you've got 2 factual inaccuracies and 1 absurdity, I'm not seeing your point.
    11-18-10 03:39 AM
    You'd look completely ridiculously walking around with a PlayBook with an Ethernet cable dragging behind you. Ethernet isn't exactly a mobile technology, and the PlayBook is a mobile device. So you've got 2 factual inaccuracies and 1 absurdity, I'm not seeing your point.
    LOL, indeed...and if I can hack you wirelessly I can hack you just as easily on a wired connection...sometimes these companies don't even have their router security beefed up...what's the point of a Cisco business router without security! You'd be surprised....
    11-18-10 12:53 PM
    thanks for posting this. lots of good info.
    11-19-10 03:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD