Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cynycl
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Cool OEM mini keyboard for $39.00 - Staples Black Friday

Ok I was going to keep this to myself to ensure I could get one or more of these for this great price but then guilt got the better of me.

My local Staples store (where I bought 5 playbooks, 5 journal cases and 4 charging pods yesterday) told me to hold off on buying the mini keyboard cases until tomorrow as they will be on for $39.00.

Happy turkey shopping you playbook maniacs
  2. tfp
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,464 Global Posts

Local Staples as in Canada or USA local lol
    Don't take Life so seriously, you'll never get out alive
    CrackBerry Abuser

$69 at Staples in Canada, and they have the 32gb PlayBook for $118 again. I got my keyboard bundled with a stylus and zip pouch for $100.

I didn't think I'd have a use for the keyboard, but it does allow for playing some web/flash games, where the onscreen kbd wouldn't (and obscures the screen anyway, so what's the point.) My goal was to hook up PB to TV and controlling from keyboard at couch, but haven't tried it yet -- for those wondering 'why would you buy a keyboard for a tablet? Buy a netbook instead!' Not quite the same experience.

I was also impressed that the trackpad adds a 'cursor' -- something the other fruit folks haven't figured out how to do (or why it might be useful.)

It can be a bit finicky connecting after the initial pairing, though. It will recognize that the keyboard exists/is on and discoverable, but will fail to connect occasionally. I've had to restart the PlayBook, delete the pairing profile from the keyboard.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Are you sure they were not confusing with the Ipad keyboard which is advertised @ $39 for Black Friday?
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Staples in Canada.

I know it is not the IPAD keyboard as I was trying to get them to set aside a couple of the BB keyboard cases for me and this is when he told me about the Friday deal. He also said it is not an advertized deal.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Man, Canada is getting so many great deals this week! Sure would love to connect with them in U.S.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Blackberry OEM keyboard is $69.00 in Canada along with $14.99 for cradle charger. Just picked 2 keyboards up plus one cradle charger and another 32gig PB for $118.00 for Christmas presents.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by uazwildcat View Post
    Are you sure they were not confusing with the Ipad keyboard which is advertised @ $39 for Black Friday?
    If I get there tomorrow and it's the IPAD keyboard, I'm not going to be a happy camper.
    rick0415 likes this.

I have a feeling crossing toward Vancouver on US Thanksgiving weekend could be a nightmare!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Cynycl View Post
    Staples in Canada.

I know it is not the IPAD keyboard as I was trying to get them to set aside a couple of the BB keyboard cases for me and this is when he told me about the Friday deal. He also said it is not an advertized deal.
    It is advertised on the website, in the flyer for Black Friday. Like a door crasher, says only 6 per store, limit of 1 per customer.
    I might try fo get another one, see iif it performs better than my current 'skippy' mini keyboard, and an eprinter!

Edit: My mistake, the flyer keyboard is for an iPad version by Innovative Technology
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

The iPad OEM keyboard is advertised at $39.00, and the Blackberry Mini keyboard is $69. The OEM iPad keyboard is listed on Staples as "Innovative Technology iPad Bluetooth Keyboard Case", Item372863. ModelITIP-4000. $39.98. Here:

iPad Keyboard

The Playbook keyboard is AVAILABLE again online (was previously SOLD OUT).... Here for $69:

Playbook Keyboard

So the question is.... Did this Staples employee not know, and confuse the OEM ipad-sized case/keyboard with the Playbook keyboard? Why would they not advertise a sale? Isn't the point of advertising such low prices to get people into the store to buy? Unless this employee sees they had trouble moving the product off the shelves over the past few days (at $69) and need to quickly get rid of them. But I don't see why, when they are hard to find and people feel it is a good value at $69.

Also, you can't compare the iPad OEM keyboard at $39 to the Blackberry Playbook keyboard at $69 in terms of build quality and function. The iPad keyboard has no touchpad, whereas the Blackberry playbook does. That mouse functionality is important for fine-control. It also has various gesture commands supported, not sure if the OEM iPad version does. Not to mention that the sizes of the cases are totally wrong.

The Blackberry Playbook keyboard comes with a tough rubberized case similar to the Leather Journal case, normally around $60 alone, now on sale at Staples (BUT SOLD OUT) for $14.99 (which by the way is the cost of their Charging stand). So for $69 you have a leather-journal-style case with a keyboard and bluetooth touchpad/mouse that will work with your playbook, or detach and work with any other Bluetooth devices you have around your house. And will recharge and last about 30 days. Not sure about the build quality of that OEM iPad keyboard though.
    CrackBerry Newbie

If your local Staples are sold out of the various hyper-discounted Playbook accessories, just go down to Best Buy: with their "beat the competition by 5% of the difference" policy, I got the Playbook quick-charging stand and journal case for $10 each last night. So the keyboard deal on at Staples might end up reducing the price to less than $30 at Best Buy.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts

They usually only price match for stuff that is in stock, I'd say you got pretty lucky. staples.ca shows as out of stock. Do you think it would still be worth going to look in store?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by FreeJACLive View Post
    They usually only price match for stuff that is in stock, I'd say you got pretty lucky. staples.ca shows as out of stock. Do you think it would still be worth going to look in store?
    Staples online was out of stock already last night when I went to Best Buy, as was every store in Calgary. I simply mentioned the sale to the Best Buy clerk, he looked something up on his computer (the Staples website?) but didn't make any phone calls, and then gave me the discount. The same thing happened (at the same Best Buy) when I bought my Playbook there a few months back: Future Shop had an online only sale but were out of stock, and without even checking online, the Best Buy clerk gave me the discount. Two different clerks, too. I don't know if Best Buy just tends to be looser about this sort of thing or what -- Staples refused to price-match Future Shop on the Playbook when I tried there first. It's worth a shot, in my opinion.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,949 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Emigre View Post
    Man, Canada is getting so many great deals this week! Sure would love to connect with them in U.S.
    A declaration of war, were coming for your PB keyboards
    Sent from my Z10 or a soon to be BB10 PlayBook

BlackBerry Curve 8530 (Virgin Mobile) -BlackBerry Bold 9900 (T-Mobile) BlackBerry Z10 (T-Mobile) + a deceased BlackBerry PlayBook 64 gig
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,172 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jtg575 View Post
    If your local Staples are sold out of the various hyper-discounted Playbook accessories, just go down to Best Buy: with their "beat the competition by 5% of the difference" policy, I got the Playbook quick-charging stand and journal case for $10 each last night. So the keyboard deal on at Staples might end up reducing the price to less than $30 at Best Buy.
    Sometimes that works but, read the fine print. The policy only applies if the product is actually available at the other store.

Edit
    Oops, I see that was already mentioned.
    Nexus 4, 9800 (Torch), Playbook
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    543 Global Posts

Ordered two, last night, and they arrived this afternoon!

Edit:. Sorry, should have added, here it Canada for $69 each, but still seems a good deal.
    CrackBerry Master

sold out at staples here in canada, isnt it?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by FreeJACLive View Post
    I was at FS on Wednesday and they refused the price match based on online availability for the charging stand even though the Staples in the same plaza had stock. Would have picked it up for $8 and change so it was worth a try.

I did get 2 at Staples for $14.99 each which is a fantastic deal.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by edyb View Post
    ... for $69 you have a leather-journal-style case with a keyboard and bluetooth touchpad/mouse that will work with your playbook, or detach and work with any other Bluetooth devices you have around your house.
    I haven't managed to pair it to anything but the PlayBook.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by mf1982 View Post
    I was at FS on Wednesday and they refused the price match based on online availability for the charging stand even though the Staples in the same plaza had stock. Would have picked it up for $8 and change so it was worth a try.

I did get 2 at Staples for $14.99 each which is a fantastic deal.
    I heard about this too late. Local Staples had nothing left this am. Clerk told me that they sold all 125 PBs they were sent as well as all chargers & keyboards. FS next door had charger for $79!