Hi everyone,

I'm new around here, I'll probably pick up a PlayBook this week.

I was looking for a case/sleeve, that I'll buy for the Playbook. I want an OEM case, because most other cases don't look so elegant. Furthermore, I want as little bulk as possible. After spending couple of hours reading case threads here and watching review videos on YouTube, I have 2 (or 2.5) options left:

BlackBerry PlayBook Leather Sleeve
    BlackBerry PlayBook Leather Envelope
    (BlackBerry PlayBook Slip Case)

Here are the pros and cons that I found:

• Sleeve pros: very little added bulk, stylish
    • Sleeve cons: hard to get out PlayBook, the sleeve can get deformed while forcing the tablet out, someone wrote here that his sleeve was a bit loose and the PlayBook could fall out
    • Envelope pros: magnetic flap, looks easy to put in and get out PlayBook, leather looks nice
    • Envelope cons: a bit larger than sleeve, on the pictures it looks like a purse
    • Slip pros: looks nice, is quite tiny, seems a bit easier to get the PlayBook out of it
    • Slip cons: faux leather usually does not feel so nice and gets damaged quicker than real leather, does not protect PlayBook so well

I'm leaning a bit towards the envelope. What I don't like about the slip is that it's not real leather.

Is there anyone who has seen/used them and could tell me how they feel like (quality) and how convenient they are? Is the envelope very feminine?
    Which one do you recommend?

Thank you!
    Last edited by erusa; 08-15-12 at 11:34 PM.
    08-15-12 11:31 PM
    You get a sleeve with the playbook, used it since day 1,still tight, same shape, same protection
    rexrim likes this.
    08-15-12 11:40 PM
    I'm using the covertible case, I like it a lot. It doesn't add a lot of bulk has over all protection (minus the screen) with access to all buttons and ports. (You can't charge the playbook in the case if your planning on picking up a dock charger though.)
    rexrim likes this.
    08-15-12 11:48 PM
    I used the PlayBook sleeve (sold in box) for a few months then switched to the Blurex leather slim.. Both are great..
    08-16-12 02:41 AM
    Convertible case still the best so far..i have bought many case for my playbook..envelope leather case, journal case, otterbox case, viva case and silicon case..lastly i back to use convertible case..good for daily use..good protector...hehe..
    08-16-12 05:58 AM
    Another vote for the Blurex case. I used the OEM convertible case at first, but it felt a bit heavy, and I didn't like how the cover could just fall open. Switched to Blurex: looks and feels great, closes securely, and lighter.

I use Blurex mainly at the office; at home and for leisure, I bought an OEM skin: lighter still than Blurex, and fits in the neoprene sleeve for protection while on the move.
    rexrim likes this.
    08-16-12 06:19 AM
    I use a BlackBerry Zip Sleeve. Uses memory foam, but it's not bulky at all.
    Regardless of the case you choose, you'll love the Playbook. Cheers.
    rexrim likes this.
    08-16-12 06:59 AM
    Oem cases blow. Otterbox all the way.
    rexrim and jon3578 like this.
    08-16-12 07:03 AM
    Pick up the case that will "turn" your PB into a Notebook(a real paper one).

It will be ready to use, protected and it will look cool and professional.

Mine costed 18� and im very satisfied with it

Envelope and sleve sucks

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-16-12 07:29 AM
    I use the Journal case and very happy with it.
    rexrim likes this.
    08-16-12 07:59 AM
    Blackberry Leather Sleeve on sale at the Crackberry Store today. 68% off!!! That may help your decision.

rexrim likes this.
    08-16-12 08:49 AM
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies!

I am considering only the 2 (or maybe the Slip case, too, if someone says it's so good) cases that I mentioned in my first post. The others are either too big/heavy or I don't like their design. I also prefer to use the PlayBook "naked", so I'm looking for a case from which I just take out the tablet when I need it (yeah, I could do that with e.g. the convertible case, too, but that would be stupid ).

So it would be great if some members could tell me how the BlackBerry Envelope and Leather Sleeve (and maybe the Slip) compare. I mean here mostly quality, ease of use, look and feel.

Thank you!
    08-16-12 02:20 PM
    Any opinions? Would be great if someone could help. Thanks!
    08-17-12 10:37 PM
    Ive had the sleeve... The neoprene sleeve... Convertible case... Blurex case and a case I made myself....

Personally I would prefer the Blurex case. It protects but also leaves the playbook half naked when it's in use. When I use the zip sleeve I have a tpu h skin on my playbook...

I'm very paranoid and ocd when it comes to taking care of my electronics and gadgets...

I would prefer the Blurex for 3 reasons
    A) access to all ports while closed
    B) stand feature
    C) easy to put in and remove... So if you wanna hold the playbook naked, it will only take a few secs.

There are variations for the Blurex case... The design is basically the same. In amazon there are 3... Acase.. Blurex.. And luxury carbon fiber...

There's a version by Brookstone but it's more pricey.

The convertible is alright too... But has 2 flaws... Charging por inaccessible and the lid doesn't snap shut... But with some patience and creativity u can fix this.
    rexrim likes this.
    08-18-12 12:05 AM
    If it come down to the ones you mentione...

Leather envelope looks fancy and weird. Which is good

Leather sleeve looks elegant and nice... If used well.. There should no be an issue with the playbook falling off.

It all comes down to what do YOU like most.
    rexrim and erusa like this.
    08-18-12 12:33 AM
    I bought the leather sleeve for each of our Playbooks to give them some protection in transit. I didn't enjoy getting the Playbook in and out of the soft sleeve that comes with it.

When I first tried the new sleeve I discovered that it seemed tight. Getting the PB out wasn't as smooth as I was hoping for.

Each sleeve came with a white foam insert spacer. I took two of those and fit them into one sleeve, and put some books on it overnight. The next morning I had a sleeve that fits perfectly! It's been several months and the friction fit has stayed just where I want it. To extract the PB I tilt the open sleeve top away from me and press the sides gently together. You can position one hand so that your fingers are there to catch it as it starts to slide out, and it's easy to pull out the rest of the way. I've never had it fall out on its own.
    Five50What, rexrim and erusa like this.
    08-18-12 09:37 AM
    Thanks for the replies!

If it come down to the ones you mentione...

Leather envelope looks fancy and weird. Which is good

Leather sleeve looks elegant and nice... If used well.. There should no be an issue with the playbook falling off.

It all comes down to what do YOU like most.
    Yes, I'm considering only the ones I mentioned. I like them both, that's why I was interested in quality, durability and ease of use. Those things can only be found out if you use the cases or at least see them in person (which I haven't/can't).

I bought the leather sleeve for each of our Playbooks to give them some protection in transit. I didn't enjoy getting the Playbook in and out of the soft sleeve that comes with it.

When I first tried the new sleeve I discovered that it seemed tight. Getting the PB out wasn't as smooth as I was hoping for.

Each sleeve came with a white foam insert spacer. I took two of those and fit them into one sleeve, and put some books on it overnight. The next morning I had a sleeve that fits perfectly! It's been several months and the friction fit has stayed just where I want it. To extract the PB I tilt the open sleeve top away from me and press the sides gently together. You can position one hand so that your fingers are there to catch it as it starts to slide out, and it's easy to pull out the rest of the way. I've never had it fall out on its own.
    Thank you! After using the case for several months, are the leather and the stitchings still holding up well?

I would really appreciate it if someone could report about the envelope case, too (or give other opinions about the sleeve).
    rexrim likes this.
    08-19-12 12:00 AM
    After using the case for several months, are the leather and the stitchings still holding up well?
    I take mine to work every day in a backpack, and it's also been on a couple of plane rides. With that sort of normal wear and tear, I'm pleased to say that it's neither worn nor torn. No surface scuffs, no problems with the stitchings, and the BlackBerry logo is still silver and shiny.

I started clipping my stylus to the case (the clip in one edge of the case and the "pen" outside) and that hasn't caused a problem... yet.
    08-19-12 07:37 AM

This will make my PlayBook match with my leather sleeved 9930, perfectly. Thank you
    08-19-12 02:03 PM
    After using the leather sleeve for about a year now it has held up perfectly. Push the sides in to pull the playbook out without effort. I haven't noticed any sort of deformation problems and the stitching looks the same as the day I bought it.
    erusa likes this.
    08-19-12 08:33 PM
    Thank you for the useful replies!

Anyone with the envelope case who could share their experience?
    08-20-12 10:04 PM
    Get the Blurex one from Amazon for $15. I have 2 PB's and both have these - no comparison - look at the product reviews on Amazon - 4.8 out of 5 by 171 reviews - tells you all.

http://www.amazon.com/Blurex-Leather...bUvbUpU7578769
    rexrim likes this.
    08-20-12 10:51 PM
    Thank you for the useful replies!

Anyone with the envelope case who could share their experience?
    I've been using the Leather envelope case for over a year, and i got to say is the best looking case for any tablet that i've seen.
    08-21-12 10:15 AM
    I've been using the Leather envelope case for over a year, and i got to say is the best looking case for any tablet that i've seen.
    Thank you! Is it holding up well after 1 year of use? Is it convenient to use? Any problems with it?

Get the Blurex one from Amazon for $15. ...
    Thank you. It looks good, but I'm only interested in the leather sleeve and the envelope.
    rexrim likes this.
    08-21-12 11:09 AM
    Thank you! Is it holding up well after 1 year of use? Is it convenient to use? Any problems with it?
    It's holding pretty well, very convinient to use, very easy to get the PlayBook in or out and provides decent protection, but im guessing the same is true for the sleeve case, so it's just a matter wich one you think it looks the best, i went with the envelope because IMO it's one of the best looking cases out there, i got one for my ex girlfriend in purple and it was gorgeous aswell.
    erusa likes this.
    08-21-12 07:21 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD