I am thinking about getting a playbook to replace my laptop for university and I am wondering;

1)Are there any apps for playbook that let you takes notes on a pdf like annotations? I tried the preinstalled adobe reader app but it wont let me edit the pdf.

2) How good is the slides to go app? I tried opening a powerpoint from my bold(via bridge) but it kept crashing. Does it have an option to edit the presenter notes or is it as crippled as the adobe app?
    10-01-11 09:54 AM
    Why don't you use the voice recorder functions.

-J
    10-01-11 10:31 AM
    There are no current options for annotating a PDF.

The Slides to Go app is pretty much crippled too, and has no content creation functionality.

Basically using voice recorder (not so good in a class, if you want to capture your own thoughts) and simple text note apps, or those with an extra sketch feature (maybe used with a stylus), are your best bets.
    jsdhornby likes this.
    10-01-11 10:33 AM
    Groovy Notes is a good note taking app. Evernote as well.
    10-01-11 10:50 AM
    There are no current options for annotating a PDF.

The Slides to Go app is pretty much crippled too, and has no content creation functionality.

Basically using voice recorder (not so good in a class, if you want to capture your own thoughts) and simple text note apps, or those with an extra sketch feature (maybe used with a stylus), are your best bets.
    wow, that blows. I was thinking about hooking up a bluetooth keyboard & using it to take notes because we are given powerpoint files by profs, I wanted want to take notes beneath them in the little box that lets you write personal notes about slides.
    I wish playbook could do more for students though, instead of only being a glorified voice recorder&notepad.
    10-01-11 11:01 AM
    wow, that blows. I was thinking about hooking up a bluetooth keyboard & using it to take notes because we are given powerpoint files by profs, I wanted want to take notes beneath them in the little box that lets you write personal notes about slides.
    I wish playbook could do more for students though, instead of only being a glorified voice recorder&notepad.
    Well, it's not a glorified voice recorder, it just doesn't happen to fit your needs. I see a lot of students taking notes on a variety of devices, the PlayBook included.

You have a bold, so you have Internet access. Open the presentation in Google Presenter. You'll be able to add your notes to each slide there. There is an icon in the bottom left that lets you add notes.
    wordy likes this.
    10-01-11 11:10 AM
    I've been using it for class lately, and been using a combination of the VOICE NOTES & VIDEO RECORDER/etc. Most of the time I use them in this manner...

VOICE NOTES for the general recorded history of the class to look back on. Then while it records, I use a written app to jot down a timeframe off the notes. That way, I'll never be listening through all my notes just to find out what time I recorded a certain part he was talking about.
    VIDEO RECORDER/CAMERA I use when he presents or writes something on the board for an ex.

I usually have been combining these until the big update for this month. I have seen an app called Groovy Notes, that just looks well done. Although there's some key features that look to be missing I'd like. So I'll wait to see if any major native apps or something comes during DevCon.
    Anyways, GL deciding.

EDIT: Wish I posted earlier then the 2 above this one...
    Last edited by Venichie; 10-01-11 at 11:15 AM.
    10-01-11 11:13 AM
    I wish I had these technology when I was in University :3
    xjrichb, nova_8 and LuayS like this.
    10-01-11 11:17 AM
    I wish I had these technology when I was in University :3
    Sliderules were high tech when I attended!!!!
    10-01-11 12:18 PM
    The powerpoint support on the PB is really lacking. Same with the pdf viewer - there is no way to edit PDFs.

I'm not a student, but I travel a lot and so portability is important to me. I bought the PB, returned it, and then bought an Asus transformer. I returned that too. Bottom line is that none of the tablets are useful for real work. They are entertainment tools. People may disagree with that statement, but once you go beyond very basic functionality, none of the tablets are usable as real work tools. As an aside - I think that Amazon has the right strategy in the short term - tablet as a media consumption and entertainment device only.

All that being said, I think the PB has the most potential to be useful, since it has a good OS underpinning it.

In the end I purchased a netbook running the new AMD fusion chipset. It's great - I would highly recommend something like that.

Good luck!

Bob
    howarmat likes this.
    10-01-11 01:41 PM
    Try Note Smartly, it is awesome for what you need... You can save yor notes in pdf, edit and share. And you can attach to your notes, voice records, video, images and even drawings or sketches... with this app, go for your grades pal!
    10-01-11 02:25 PM
    By the way, with the impending release of the Native Development Kit (NDK), I would expect people to start porting applications that will allow annotating PDFs and far more than that. Some of the guys have already got a basic port of Qt working, and that should open up a whole slew of possibilities.

rjpawlak writes: "People may disagree with that statement, but once you go beyond very basic functionality, none of the tablets are usable as real work tools." I'm not going to agree or disagree, but will merely point out that with the exception of the iPad (and certainly many people do find them useful for "real work"), none of the other tablets have been out for long enough to make a final judgement about this. Certainly it's still very early days for the PlayBook: consider everything to this point to have been beta testing, and don't make a final conclusion until you see how things go after the 2.0 update and the NDK are both out.
    10-01-11 02:38 PM
    i tried bringing my playbook to class and using it to take notes but it was a massive pain and i switched back to my laptop. I have been having some issues with my new PB (most of them aren't really the fault of the PB). I think having a tablet for the last few days has made me realize I really don't need a tablet at this point and i am fairly sure i will be returning this PB. I still love BlackBerry and if I was to own a tablet it would be this one but I just don't see very much functional use of the PB in my life right now and i would just make excuses to use it.
    10-01-11 02:42 PM
    Sliderules were high tech when I attended!!!!
    I remember having to memorize logarithm tables.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    10-01-11 03:23 PM
    I agree this feature will be nice. I think its a feature we'll have soon.

I say go for it though. I have a PB and use it to take notes for all of my classes. I use the word to go app and its like having a laptop in front of you. The bluetooth keyboard is also a big plus. Just make sure you research and find one that doesn't drop signal.

I enjoy being able to carry only a playbook to class and a small notepad just in case (I'm an upper-level engineer so occasionally I'm required to draw something).
    rleo25 likes this.
    10-01-11 03:35 PM
    i tried bringing my playbook to class and using it to take notes but it was a massive pain and i switched back to my laptop. I have been having some issues with my new PB (most of them aren't really the fault of the PB). I think having a tablet for the last few days has made me realize I really don't need a tablet at this point and i am fairly sure i will be returning this PB. I still love BlackBerry and if I was to own a tablet it would be this one but I just don't see very much functional use of the PB in my life right now and i would just make excuses to use it.
    were you using the on-screen keyboard? it will be smarter to use a keyboard like Amazon.com: Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard 6000: Electronics

I currently have a 13inch thinkpad&its a pain because I commute to school &all it does is open powerpoints, pdf & bit of wolfram alpha
    I will wait until playbook gets more discounts because right now it isnt really meeting my needs
    10-01-11 03:54 PM
    I remember having to memorize logarithm tables.
    Can you imagine finding those in the back of a Kindle Book?
    10-01-11 05:08 PM
    were you using the on-screen keyboard? it will be smarter to use a keyboard like Amazon.com: Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard 6000: Electronics

I currently have a 13inch thinkpad&its a pain because I commute to school &all it does is open powerpoints, pdf & bit of wolfram alpha
    I will wait until playbook gets more discounts because right now it isnt really meeting my needs
    Wolfram alpha. Never heard of it til now . Thanks for mentioning it! Seems like a cool site and works really well on the PlayBook.

Personally, if I were trying to use the PlayBook (or any other tablet) in class, I would get a BT keyboard. It's really difficult to look at the instructor or the instructor's slides/board/screen and type at the same time because you have to look at the PlayBook's screen.
    peter9477 likes this.
    10-01-11 06:12 PM
    It's really difficult to look at the instructor or the instructor's slides/board/screen and type at the same time because you have to look at the PlayBook's screen.
    Hmm, what we need is a screen protector with little bumps on the home keys like on a real keyboard. Just don't slash yourself swiping across them!!!
    10-01-11 07:15 PM
    I do hope the PB has more capability for the real world soon (maybe with 2.0), with better ability to type and edit documents. It's hailed as the first professional grade tablet but it really lacks professional editing abilities. I was hoping it would be more impressive in this area, as I was a student, too (not anymore). If taking notes at school is a priority, consider finding an app and purchasing a bluetooth keyboard. If not (whispers quietly)maybe buy a netbook. Just don't say it came from me!
    10-01-11 07:23 PM
    Hmm, what we need is a screen protector with little bumps on the home keys like on a real keyboard. Just don't slash yourself swiping across them!!!
    You may be on to something there.
    10-01-11 07:30 PM
    Do not get a playbook to replace a laptop for school. I have been through university. 60 Page word documents with minimal features and formatting available would not be good. The demands of university require a physical keyboard for major projects. Maybe for note taking it would be ok.
    10-04-11 04:00 PM
    Would be nice to organize a PBCWS (Playbook for college workshop)to emulate all possible situations in classes and conferences and how to handle them (if possible) with the PB, would be interesting to findout tips, habilities needed and downfalls...
    Disparishun likes this.
    10-04-11 04:50 PM
    Would be nice to organize a PBCWS (Playbook for college workshop)to emulate all possible situations in classes and conferences and how to handle them (if possible) with the PB, would be interesting to findout tips, habilities needed and downfalls...
    Yes! Let's see:

(a) Notetaking -- text with drawings; outline mode; audio recording synced to location in notes. Basically, Microsoft OneNote, come to think of it. That kind of functionality for the PlayBook would be awesome.

(b) Catalogue and annotate PDFs. Kind of wish this could be integrated into an e-Reader program like Kobo.

What else?
    10-04-11 05:42 PM
    Photo editing on powerpont pictures taken in class with our notes...
    10-04-11 05:49 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD