Just to let people know, that just because you return your PlayBook does not make you a RIM "hater".

I for one have used BlackBerry phones for several years, and am not in the market for a new (or different) phone.

However, the PlayBook in its current iteration (and even after the latest OS update) does not meet my needs at the moment. I was not looking for a gaming platform, but rather more of a business tool, and with the limited functionality of the software that shipped with the device, especially the limited editing/formatting capability of the Docs to Go applications, unfortunately it was not very useful to me. Sad to say, I returned mine, with the hope that when certain issues are resolved, I may re-purchase it.

I applaud all those who are keeping their units, and helping RIM make this a better device.

I hope this post will help stop the "don't let the door hit you in the back" style comments that usually follow when anyone says they returned their PlayBook.
    05-04-11 10:03 AM
    +1

I'm a dedicated Torch user and my PB went back to the store too. In its current form I find the ipad 2 more useful ..... for now. With a few tweaks and accessory additions I'd prob jump back to the PB.
    luda83 likes this.
    05-04-11 10:11 AM
    Huh? What? I don't recall any posts implying people are RIM "haters" if they return their Playbook. Where are you getting this from?

One would think that if they were truly RIM haters it would be unlikely they would of purchased it in the first place.
    05-04-11 10:26 AM
    I agree completely OP. Although I haven't returned my Playbook(and likely won't), I can understand somebody returning theirs because they feel that it doesn't fit their needs/wants. At the end of the day it's your device and your money, do what you want with it.
    05-04-11 10:26 AM
    I hope this post will help stop the "don't let the door hit you in the back" style comments that usually follow when anyone says they returned their PlayBook.
    From what I see those comments are not directed at everyone saying they returned it. Only those that are going out of their way to say they returned it, what crap it is, everyone should do the same, RIM is dead, long live Steve, etc... (Truthfully I think some of these posters never actually owned a PB to begin with.)

If someone was to post a nice post explaining why they didn't feel the playbook was for them while listing the shortcomings that brought them to that decision I think it would get a much more polite reception.
    05-04-11 10:27 AM
    I'm fine with people returning it if it doesn't fit their needs. It would be stupid to keep it. I just don't understand why so many people feel the need to start a new thread when they do return it.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    05-04-11 10:50 AM
    From what I see those comments are not directed at everyone saying they returned it. Only those that are going out of their way to say they returned it, what crap it is, everyone should do the same, RIM is dead, long live Steve, etc... (Truthfully I think some of these posters never actually owned a PB to begin with.)

If someone was to post a nice post explaining why they didn't feel the playbook was for them while listing the shortcomings that brought them to that decision I think it would get a much more polite reception.
    this.

most people who make a big fuss about negatives that were WIDELY KNOWN and probably never really owned the device are the haters. if you drop 500+ on a rim device, youre probably not a hater
    05-04-11 10:52 AM
    I guess people who felt the need to start a thread once they return their device are mostly saddened by the fact that the device did not meet their needs or that they were dissappointed by the issues at launch or the issues they may have had... and sometimes expressing those thoughts helps manage the dissappointment, or perhaps send a message as to why it may not have... perhaps there are lessons to be learned either way... bashing someone who does so is goofy... and if it's a troll, then responding to the troll simply gives them the reaction they perhaps wanted either way, I have to say if you spend a lot of money on a device you were looking forward to, and it does not personally deliver your expectations, i can see someone wanting to vent or perhaps express an opinion... the option to not respond is always there just press the do not respond button located next to the thanks ( ok just kidding about that part, don't go looking for it...)

I am enjoying my device by the way, and will not be returning it
    Last edited by waltermixxx; 05-04-11 at 11:00 AM.
    05-04-11 10:58 AM
    From what I read the RIM haters who complained about the PlayBook didn't buy one or even use one. They just bitched about it and RIM based upon reviews they read.
    05-04-11 11:31 AM
    I agree with StubbornSwiss. I returned mine after 11 days. The issues were far too many and I spent close to 30 hours with RIM troubleshooting the device. Glad to do it, in fact, because it makes the products better. However, at the end of the day, I was nervous the issue (which was error code 13 and error code 30 with continuous freezing of the OS) was not going to be rectified and that I was going to have a $500 paperweight on my desk.

I love my BB (9780) and have been using BBs since the 6230 which is about 7 years now I think. I also have tried iPhone 4 and Android and nothing comes close for me.

For now I am using my iPad, which is not even close to the PB in terms of browsing or capabilities. I plan on getting another Playbook soon after a few more software updates. Probably will give it four more weeks or so, as it looks like they plan on releasing an update one or two times a month. Also, I plan on getting a 32 or 64 gb model, as when I started to use the PB it seemed 16 was not going to get me by. (This thing really could replace my desktop computer!).

Good luck to all of you lucky people who's PB works well (which I assume is about 99%).
    aiquoc23 likes this.
    05-04-11 12:01 PM
    the option to not respond is always there just press the do not respond button located next to the thanks ( ok just kidding about that part, don't go looking for it...)
    i started to scroll for a second
    05-04-11 12:18 PM
    I love RIM!! I just find the playbook more frustrating than useful right now and can get more out of my iPad 2 as well. If things change with it I would happily get another one. Until then I'm gonna be hanging around to see what change occur.
    aiquoc23 likes this.
    05-04-11 12:22 PM
    That's why I have not purchased the Playbook or any tablets now. Too many things missing. Right now, I'm looking to purchase a tablet this Fall (Oct or Nov).

The tablets on my list are the BB Playbook, Asus Eee Pad MeMo, and the Amazon tablet.
    05-04-11 12:25 PM
    I really don't understand the people returning their PB with the intention of buying it again in a month or two when the "software is sorted out"

It's still going to be the exact same quality hardware. Why not just keep the one you have now and enjoy the software updates as they come?
    05-04-11 12:32 PM
    I find it interesting having both the Playbook since launch day & the iPad 2 since last Friday. The only difference I find between the 2 is the size thats it I have all my pictures and music on both. Other than that I don't see any major differences??? I bought these because both my wife and I didn't want to buy laptops to surf the net in the house and the portability of them is just awesome. Just my 2 cents worth.
    05-04-11 12:43 PM
    Why would every single person who returns a product be a hater of that manufacturer.... for any product.... ever....
    05-04-11 12:46 PM
    I really don't understand the people returning their PB with the intention of buying it again in a month or two when the "software is sorted out"

It's still going to be the exact same quality hardware. Why not just keep the one you have now and enjoy the software updates as they come?
    My guess is many of those who have returned their Playbooks and may buy again in the future are waiting on a price drop as well. I'm not expecting any price drops until the "back to school" sales come around end of August. Then we might see the devices drop 10-15%.
    05-04-11 02:07 PM

Maybe they bought a Storm 1 or 2 (aka "Never did work right despite the hype") and no longer believe in promises. Maybe they just want to buy something that works and don't have the patience to be a beta tester. Or maybe they figure that something costing $600 should work out of the box. Some people are funny that way.

As a business user who fits all 3 criteria I'm certainly waiting to see what they actually deliver before I commit with my $.

- R.
    05-04-11 02:18 PM
    Maybe they bought a Storm 1 or 2 (aka "Never did work right despite the hype") and no longer believe in promises. Maybe they just want to buy something that works and don't have the patience to be a beta tester. Or maybe they figure that something costing $600 should work out of the box. Some people are funny that way.

As a business user who fits all 3 criteria I'm certainly waiting to see what they actually deliver before I commit with my $.

- R.
    I dunno, you can make the same argument about early IOS... Plenty of people are willing to be guinnea pigs and make concessions for unpolished products.
    05-04-11 02:28 PM
    I would have assumed that someone that hated RIM wouldn't have bought a Playbook in the first place, so I wouldn't accuse someone returning it of that particular motivation.

As a Canadian, I would love to see a successful Playbook lead a RIM resurgence. I will, however, freely admit that the Playbook has a lot of work ahead of it before it's "ready." That said, it suits my own purposes nicely, those being an ultra-portable browsing, pdf and media consumption device with a little light word processing thrown in. So I'm keeping mine and anxiously anticipating each new update and app release.
    05-04-11 02:43 PM
    Silly to assume. As has been mentioned I am bemused only by those who will not even try it but go on what some so called gadget blog says. It is not a cheap product. Keep it if it meets your needs...is sure does for me. I am really enjoying seeing the stuff coming out almost day-by-day it seems. Kudos RIM, thought we lost you there for a bit.
    05-04-11 02:47 PM
    I dunno, you can make the same argument about early IOS... Plenty of people are willing to be guinnea pigs and make concessions for unpolished products.
    Never said I couldn't. Plenty are, plenty aren't. I was replying to a post where someone couldn't understand why someone wouldn't keep an unfinished product based on the promises of the manufacturer regarding future upgrades.

I have no idea what Apple's track record is on this score. They may be just as bad. I was commenting on RIM.

- R.
    05-04-11 02:54 PM

- R.
    Rooster, I noticed you have the storm 1 down as your device. I too owned the first gen storm and then the storm 2 for 3 weeks before I jumped to the Bold 9700 and now the Torch even an iPhone in between the storm 2 and Bold 9700. I can understand your feelings toward the storm but the Playbook is no where near the failure the storm 1 was/is.
    05-04-11 03:09 PM
    Rooster, I noticed you have the storm 1 down as your device. I too owned the first gen storm and then the storm 2 for 3 weeks before I jumped to the Bold 9700 and now the Torch even an iPhone in between the storm 2 and Bold 9700. I can understand your feelings toward the storm but the Playbook is no where near the failure the storm 1 was/is.
    Not saying it is. But I owned the Storm 1, Storm 2 and now the Torch. And while the Torch is ok, it still doesn't live up to the reliability the RIM name projected. For instance, it still has points where it freezes randomly, deletes old Calendar items randomly, etc. The S1 and S2 were never, ever made to work properly and despite my hours in the phone with Telus and RIM support, plus a letter to the 2 RIM co-CEO's, RIM never stepped up to the plate to ensure I was happy as a customer or even officially acknowledge there were issues.

My point isn't that the Playbook is a failure, just that it's incomplete (you can see my other posts on that). Deciding to not depend on a manufacturer to complete a product is a reasonable decision when that manufacturer has the poor track record RIM has developed with the 3 products I have owned.

I was responding to a poster who couldn't understand why people wouldn't keep a device that wasn't up to snuff, and why they wouldn't just rely on the manufacturer to deliver software updates to fill in the gaps.

That poster can make their own decision, but I hope now they understand why others might make a different one.

Make sense?

- R.
    05-04-11 03:50 PM
    Each person who returns their PB has a reason for doing so, and everybody is entitled to that reason.

In my case, I figured that when RIM comes out with updates that include certain features and "fixes" I would like to see, then I can just go ahead and buy it again.

However, if these features and "fixes" don't become available, or if they don't become available in a timely enough fashion then I am not left with an expensive device that I am not happy with.

Also, one must remember that as robust as the hardware is seen to be today, somewhere down the line there is always the possibility of a PlayBook 2. It is also feasible to think that some, if not all of the features and "fixes" I would like to see may be incorporated into such a version 2 device, and in that case, I would much rather just wait for that.

Again, just stating my opinion, and my reasons for returning it.

Cheers!

EDIT: Just read about the rumored 10" PlayBook 2 somewhere in these forums! Doesn't sound like it will be too long in coming!
    Last edited by stubbornswiss; 05-04-11 at 04:48 PM.
    howarmat likes this.
    05-04-11 04:30 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD