Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jamesharmeling
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default is it normal for playbook free space to reduce this quick?

I recently got a 16gb playbook, yesterday after the mandatory OS update during the initial set up (which was 487mb) I had 11.5gb free space. Today I was busy downloading apps and games for it and that amounted to about 700mb, after the downloading I went over to check the free space and it was 9.7gb. Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Michopo View Post
    I recently got a 16gb playbook, yesterday after the mandatory OS update during the initial set up (which was 487mb) I had 11.5gb free space. Today I was busy downloading apps and games for it and that amounted to about 700mb, after the downloading I went over to check the free space and it was 9.7gb. Is this normal?
    I think the consensus is that the size posted on appworld is for the download but that installation may in fact expand certain games. That is the downloaded file may be similar to a zip/archive file but when expanded during installation, they take up more room. So 700mb of downloaded COULD take up more space once installed (storage, scores, settings, etc are accommodated or room is made to accommodate them)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    I think the consensus is that the size posted on appworld is for the download but that installation may in fact expand certain games. That is the downloaded file may be similar to a zip/archive file but when expanded during installation, they take up more room. So 700mb of downloaded COULD take up more space once installed (storage, scores, settings, etc are accommodated or room is made to accommodate them)
    I guess so, I was just hoping that it would be more friendly to its memory..which really begs the question "why did they make a 16gb version anyway??" Its like they were looking at a blackberry user with a 32gb card in their phone, but blackberry bridge is a serious battery drainer. that 64gb tab is starting to look tempting now

Some people probably do not store a tremendous amount of data on their devices and use it for its Bridge functions and maybe browsing the web, throwing in a few movies and tunes. Take a few videos and photos but move those off the device to other storage. But, yes, if you start using it for serious app-games and movies, the 16gigs can disappear more quickly.

With one PROVISO/CAUTION: You can delete and reinstall games from appworld under the UNinstalled mode. So, once you finish with a game, you could delete it - you will PROBABLY lose settings and scores if you are mid-game. BUT if a game changes price (price rise or goes from Free to paid), you might have to repurchase. You can also use the DM's backup and restore function to put games/apps back on but that is an all or none solution. You canNOT backup individual games and restore them. Every app gets backed up and they all get restored.

I had the 32gig and went for the 64 gig - probably if I did not store too many videos and music files, 32 would have been sufficient.

Choices and tradeoffs.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    333BF5D4

I had been coveting a 64g for over a year and finally got one 2 weeks ago. When I travel (3-4 times a year) it'll be nice to have all the extra space, but for me it's overkill. On my 16g, I always had at least 2g left even after downloading 5 movies on top of all my apps, music, files and photos. BUT, I will always suggest the 64g. Better to have way too much than NOT enough.
    BB then, now, forever...yeah, I said it.
    F2 likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I found about 2gig of extra stuff last night on my playbook. I hooked it up via USB and was transferring files when i noticed a "downloads" folder. I went in there and it was full of stuff. I just deleted everything in it and now i have a couple of gigs extra!
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    333BF5D4

Quote Originally Posted by eoinzy View Post
    I found about 2gig of extra stuff last night on my playbook. I hooked it up via USB and was transferring files when i noticed a "downloads" folder. I went in there and it was full of stuff. I just deleted everything in it and now i have a couple of gigs extra!
    You didn't lose anything by doing that?
    BB then, now, forever...yeah, I said it.