I have a blackberry playbook (32gb+7"), but my parents can buy it off me, pay me the full amount, which can then go to buying a Nook HD+ 16gb 9" tablet (which I found for same price). I only need the tablet for videos and a few apps, and I'm going to block the net anyway. Is it worth it? please take into account battery time and video quality.

Please reply ASAP, as the deal for the nook ends today.
    10-04-13 12:26 PM
    If the folks will give you a good amount for the playbook I would grab it. Nook HD+ would be cool as long as you can get it to run the Android apps you are looking for. I did read somewhere that the Nook HD WAS going to add support for the full Google Play store. Two other good choices are the new Nexus 7, and the Hisense Sero 7 Pro...

The Hisense Sero 7 Pro gets reviewed in the forums | Android Central

Google Nexus 7 | Android Central
    Cynycl likes this.
    10-04-13 12:36 PM
    Pretty sure B&N is getting out of tablet business. It's rootable and flashable but you will have to learn how to do that. You get the Google Play apps. Screen and resolution should be better. It has an SD card slot. No HDMI out and I don't know how the speakers are. PB's speakers are best that I have seen. I dunno, I'd have to see if the screen-speaker tradeoff was acceptable. Hopefully someone that owns the two will come along.
    10-04-13 12:49 PM
    If the folks will give you a good amount for the playbook I would grab it. Nook HD+ would be cool as long as you can get it to run the Android apps you are looking for. I did read somewhere that the Nook HD WAS going to add support for the full Google Play store. Two other good choices are the new Nexus 7, and the Hisense Sero 7 Pro...

Thank you! I told my parents that you told me how to block the browser on the playbook, and they were really happy Nevertheless, they still offered to buy it off me for the same amount I got it for.
    The new Google Nexus 7 is awesome, but I don't want to spend more than $120. I'm just worried that I don't know if the screen quality on the nook is better or worse than the playbook. Would you know anything about that?

Thank you for your help and I hope you get better soon!

Avitron
    10-04-13 12:54 PM
    Isn't the nook a 1920x1200 hd? I thought that's full hd?
    10-04-13 12:56 PM

Support for the full Google play store WAS added by last May. The HD+ is comparable to the current Kindle 8.9" but a little lighter and a good bit cheaper.

The new Kindle HDX 8.9" which is scheduled to be released on November 7 is reportedly 1/3 lighter (13.2 ounces)and has many other improvements including a higher definition screen (2560x1600), 2GB ram, and a quad core processor but of course will cost a little more starting at $379. It also has a rear camera (8MP) and a front camera. Also many other features. But some of these goodies may not be available outside the US.
    10-04-13 01:45 PM
    I have been using my wife's nook for experiments and such. It does have Google play store, which is for sure cool. Screen seems really nice. I do think it seems a bit snappier than my playbook. The only thing I miss is the gestures. It took some getting used to a home button.
    Good luck with it, seems to be a nice little tablet!!
    10-05-13 08:09 AM
    I actually have both 16GB Playbook & 32GB Nook HD+ (bought off guy on CL for $100). All thou I can't use my PB anymore (battery drained down and can't turn it on or power it back up. Very Very upset about this) I would definitely go with the Nook HD+. It's a very nice tablet (especially for the price). The screen is Amazing (better than the PB in my opinion). Browser is pretty darn fast and I can download Android Apps from Google Store. It also has a MicroSD Slot and is a Fantastic E-Reader. It's plenty fast and I have not had any lag yet. I was going to Root and put stock Android on it but I kinda like it the way it is. I say go for it, The PB is Dead and you can Root the Nook HD+ if you like
    10-05-13 12:48 PM
    ]I actually have both 16GB Playbook & 32GB Nook HD+[/HL] (bought off guy on CL for $100). All thou I can't use my PB anymore (battery drained down and can't turn it on or power it back up. Very Very upset about this) I would definitely go with the Nook HD+. It's a very nice tablet (especially for the price). The screen is Amazing (better than the PB in my opinion). Browser is pretty darn fast and I can download Android Apps from Google Store. It also has a MicroSD Slot and is a Fantastic E-Reader. It's plenty fast and I have not had any lag yet. I was going to Root and put stock Android on it but I kinda like it the way it is. I say go for it, The PB is Dead and you can Root the Nook HD+ if you like
    Just curious, how would you rate the audio on the two devices?
    10-05-13 02:41 PM
    Just curious, how would you rate the audio on the two devices?
    Nook HD+ Audio is average for a low-mid price tablet. It's clear enough. Not good enough to listen to music through the speakers. Fair amount of noise from headphone jack, but not too bad.

Not in the same league as PlayBook sound-wise.

Elsewhere, the Nook HD+ is worth the discounted price tag - screen is very nice.

The OMAP 4470 is significantly quicker than PlayBook's OMAP 4420, but the Nook HD+ has a heck of a lot more pixels to shift.

Both PlayBook and Nook HD+ have a single core PowerVR GPU. Again, for PlayBook's comparatively low resolution this is sufficient, but for the HD+'s 1920*1200 pixels the gpu is pushed much harder and you can tell - the Nook HD's performance is certainly not silky smooth. It is however usually decent enough.

Don't expect miracles and you'll like the HD+ for what it is.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 02:59 PM
    Thanks! I bought the Nook hd+ in the end
    Deckard79 likes this.
    10-06-13 12:53 PM
    Just grab a nexus 7 bro, can't go wrong with that.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    10-06-13 01:00 PM
    Thanks! I bought the Nook hd+ in the end
    I think it's best with the stock B&N modified software, so I recommend you keep that on rather than overwriting it with Cyanogenmod. Main reason being that the Cyanogenmod software is still pretty buggy.

It's a good tablet - hope you enjoy it.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 02:21 PM