Just unpacked my new PB 16gb, AC adapter plugged in, went through boot bubbles and am now at Welcome Screen!. Wi-Fi is present. Scrolling msg at bottom right to left tells me to Swipe to continue.

Tried swiping highlighted swipe left, right, up, down and bezels...nothing. Can call up keyboard. Do I need special finger wax or something?
    01-30-12 12:26 PM
    There is a knack to the swipe. I had problems with the first PB I set up also because I had never used a touch screen. Be patient, keep trying, you will get it and when you do you will love your PB.
    01-30-12 01:18 PM
    Heh-heh, swiping is an acquired skill.

Try broader gestures... big swipes that cross the screen seem to be more effective than tentative little swipes.

If that doesn't work, I can sell you some finger-wax.
    01-30-12 01:22 PM
    Yes, on the INITIAL setup, the "swipe here" "thingy" is really touchy (no pun intended).
    You have a small window of contact area for this stage only, right in the middle and bottom of the illuminated screen.

After the initail setup, the screen area (and borders) are usable.

ENJOY and "ADVERTISE" this baby. Take it out and play with it in public.

Carl
    01-30-12 01:23 PM
    Take it out and play with it in public.

Carl
    I got arrested for that once ..
    robtanz, FF22 and jafobabe like this.
    01-30-12 01:40 PM
    Try using your finger tips and make sure your nails are not getting on the way.

You'll get the hang of it soon enough!
    01-30-12 01:43 PM
    Thanks to all for replies, especially the humorous ones.

There was apparently a long lag time for the PB to wake up. Sleeping Beauty was waiting for a Prince but got a geezer instead.

Okay first day, first crit.

There's nothing in the box nor on the opening screen that introduces the new buyer on what to expect and how to respond. Indeed, unless a new buyer has done intensive research or has been guided through a hands on demo, the very concept of the swipe and active bezel remains a mystery.

Not until the whole wi-fi connect, info, update and re-boot is the user presented the first bit of info about how this wonderful device is. As a former tech spec writer I find this lack flabbergasting.

That tells me that RIM is relying on their enterprise sales to steer the retail ship. Huge, really huge fatal mistake if they continue marketing the PB. It's all about direct retail sales, not re-sellers or ISP tel providers.

Whole diiferent ball game.

Anyway, I'm highly impressed with the PB. Got through the set-up with no other problems.

For the record, for other noobs who might be wondering, as I did, the whole process of updating from Wi-Fi setup to download and reboot took 12 minutes.

While I'm charging the PB at the Sr Center I'm showing it off. The camera is a huge hit. Being able to instantly see the photo on that size screen is like looking at a std size paper print. That's a good thing

Heh-heh, swiping is an acquired skill.

Try broader gestures... big swipes that cross the screen seem to be more effective than tentative little swipes.

If that doesn't work, I can sell you some finger-wax.
    01-30-12 02:21 PM
    Thanks to all for replies, especially the humorous ones.

There's nothing in the box nor on the opening screen that introduces the new buyer on what to expect and how to respond. Indeed, unless a new buyer has done intensive research or has been guided through a hands on demo, the very concept of the swipe and active bezel remains a mystery.
    There is the little tutorial during the setup. Other than that, no documentation. I was really stymied by the LED blinking, I got all sorts of combinations.
    01-30-12 02:52 PM
    I'm glad you got it up and running. I'll keep the finger-wax handy for the next guy.

I have to agree with you that the initial "guidance and hand-holding" you get in the box as a new PB owner is close to worthless and I do wonder what RIM were thinking when they devised the set-up screens and who they thought their typical owner was likely to be.

I'd advise you to have a read of this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-know-671764/

Full of lots of handy tips and tricks that aren't obvious.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-30-12 03:41 PM
    I'm glad you got it up and running. I'll keep the finger-wax handy for the next guy.

I have to agree with you that the initial "guidance and hand-holding" you get in the box as a new PB owner is close to worthless and I do wonder what RIM were thinking when they devised the set-up screens and who they thought their typical owner was likely to be.

I'd advise you to have a read of this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-know-671764/

Full of lots of handy tips and tricks that aren't obvious.
    Actually, I've been lurking and reading the PB Forum for close to two months, as well as the BB KB. Nothing posted addressed the lack of sufficient info on initial power up. Lots of good solid info on the tips and tricks sticky. Maybe some soul could do a Iinear version from first power up onwards. Or maybe a series more tightly focused. Ach, probably already there, I've just not used search here.

Having a BB 8530 already, the bridge and tether sealed the deal.

JeepBB, about that wax. One of the fellas at the sr ctr peering over my shoulder loudly said "finger wax?". Five old ladies immediately piped up, "Who's getting a bikini wax?"
    kolonji likes this.
    01-30-12 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD