First, I'm a research hound. Before I purchase anything, I do a ton of research. I actually think it's fun. So when I finally decide what I want to buy, I make sure the store has it in stock before I get my hopes up. In this case it was Staples. I was taking advantage of the 100.00 off and the 100.00 rebate. I checked online and it said my local store had them in stock.

So I finally find a sales rep to help me, and I say "I'll take a PlayBook, do you have them in stock?". He instantly replied "Nah, we don't have any of those." I say "Wait, the web site said you did." He replied "Um, yeah, I think we got a couple in, let me check".

Had I not known any better, I would have left, disappointed without my PB. The sales rep behavior is totally unacceptable. I don't know if he would have reacted the same had I asked for a Xoom or Galaxy Tab 10.1, but still.

So anyway, I'll contact Staples customer service and voice my displeasure, and send a letter to RIM to maybe shed some light as to how their PB is not being promoted in that particular store.

Bottom line is I have my PlayBook!
    09-25-11 07:26 PM
    There are quite a few retail store incompetence threads on this forum.
    09-25-11 07:28 PM
    Glad you have it now. Also good is that you let the retailer and RIM know.
    It does no good to come here and complain without doing like you did.

Job well done!

Tim
    09-25-11 07:31 PM
    Yea, I bought a 16 gig today at Staples and wouldn't have known they had any if I had not looked that store up on line to see if they were in stock. The pb display was back by the office furniture while the other tablets were up front close to the cash registers and store front. They were however sold out of 32s and 64s so I guess they are selling. I won't go into detail but I got 2 conflicting stories on the return policies from the employees there so you need to research before you buy. I think they just make stuff up as they go.
    09-25-11 07:39 PM
    I used to feel bad about seeing dead Playbooks on display. I was just at a local Staples and was surprised to see a) a Playbook properly updated in demo mode with a good wifi connection and b) an Acer Iconia with a huge crack diagonally across the entire screen. The widgets were shaking and moving about like it was having a seizure.
    09-25-11 07:44 PM
    please do call them and **** them up on our behalf. Thanks
    09-25-11 08:03 PM
    Yeah.. its like if they get a higher commission selling other brands...

In my local stores they really wanna try their best to have you Buy an Apple product EVEN if you already said what brand and model you're interested in.
    shawnOST likes this.
    09-25-11 08:09 PM
    My first look at the PB was at a Staples here in So. Calif. and i had a rather knowledgeable sales rep show me some of the nice features. I wanted a 64GB PB and they were only available on-line.
    09-25-11 08:11 PM
    I noticed the pb isnt even in the weekly futureshop flyer here in Canada.

Attachment 94237

Attachment 94238
    09-25-11 08:25 PM
    It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience at Staples. My experiences have been more positive and I usually consult the knowledgable reps with black polo shirts. The Staples in my area have a dedicated display for the working PB somewhat away from the rest of the androids. Highly recommend the corded rapid charger as some Staples have both types of the rapid charger marked down to $35.90 which I picked up for $30 with coupon.
    09-25-11 08:51 PM
    Futureshop is in the retail business; if a product isn't selling there's no advantage to telling people you have them ready for purchase.
    09-25-11 09:25 PM
    Seems like it actually IS selling with these sales and all the happy newbies coming in lately.

Welcome to crackberry!
    09-26-11 12:35 AM
    Sounds more like an indifferent and lazy employee (which the world is full of), than a particular bias towards the PlayBook.
    09-26-11 12:39 AM
    not their fault that it's not popular
    09-26-11 12:57 AM
    not their fault that it's not popular
    Thank you so much for your useful and insightful "one line" contribution to this thread.... I'm sure that your post will be valuable and insightful advice for current and future playbook owners.

Again, hats off to your "sterling effort"
    09-26-11 01:07 AM
    Thank you so much for your useful and insightful "one line" contribution to this thread.... I'm sure that your post will be valuable and insightful advice for current and future playbook owners.

Again, hats off to your "sterling effort"
    am i wrong? is apple getting the attention because they're lucky?
    Akainzo likes this.
    09-26-11 01:39 AM
    Now all Carriers here in Qatar are advertising for the PlayBook even Bookstores while none of the other tablets get any kind of advs here.

Qatar is the BlackBerry home, people here can live without iPhones but die when BIS just drop for a day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Jake2826 and togardergrosse like this.
    09-26-11 01:59 AM
    Now all Carriers here in Qatar are advertising for the PlayBook even Bookstores while none of the other tablets get any kind of advs here.

Qatar is the BlackBerry home, people here can live without iPhones but die when BIS just drop for a day.

damn. i think i belong in qatar. it must be heaven for blackberry accessories there.
    09-26-11 02:14 AM
    Its heaven for BlackBeries not accessories.
    Here you damage your device, don't waste time repairing it.. Buy a new one.

09-26-11 02:17 AM
    am i wrong? is apple getting the attention because they're lucky?
    I don't think your that wrong but it isn't to do with luck, I think because apple products have become fashionable mainly due to good product research which targeted the mass consumer, in my opinion, they have become a must have for carriers which comes with conditions that dictate commercial exposure giving "unfair" advantage. It's the law of enterprise. It doesn't only happen to RIM wndows phone 7 didn't have working models on display needing a persistant ask to find them. In the UK vodafone are the only network in my town to have working BlackBerry models whereas all carries have working iphones and thankfully carphone warehouse has working display Playbook, I'm sure they must be fed up with me by now.
    09-26-11 02:30 AM
    The only company that gets retail presentation right is Apple. Every store that carries Apple products has them set up right, on and functioning. At the stores near me, the rest of the tablets look like a crime scene. Nothing works. If it works, it is not on. If it is on it is malfunctioning in some way. It if tis on and works, it is covered in fingerprints and dity as can be. I have seen Playbooks doing things in Best Buy that I was never able to recreate at home.

I expect that RIM pays retailers for endcaps and other markting services. Part of what they should pay for is for someone to make sure that the products work and can be used by people browsing.

To be honest, I don't think this matters too much. I think that most people form their opinion about a product online or from friends.
    09-26-11 07:11 AM
    Scene: My Local Staples-
    I entered the Tablet area to see which one I should get. I started looking at the PlayBook but it was not even turned on. I then turned it on, but to my surprise it wasn't even set up. It was asking for WiFi information and everything and I just gave up and left.

DJ
    09-26-11 07:26 AM
    Ohhhh, that's why it isn't selling well! RIM should get on that pronto.

09-26-11 08:24 AM
    Not sure why Staples has them at the back of the store far away from the other tablets. That's where they are at the one near me. I went in and looked and looked and never did find it. Finally got someones attention and asked if they had any playbooks. Yes........way back there, do you want to go and try it. I said nope, just get me a 16gb one and I'm outta here.
    09-26-11 08:25 AM

Attachment 94237

Attachment 94238
    Playbook hasn't been in a Best Buy flyer for MONTHS. In fact, I think it was only in it once ever. All the same android garbage.
    09-26-11 08:29 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD