Well, it has to be through Bridge. I have my Hotmail account set up for native email using snt-m.hotmail.com with Push enabled. I don't have wifi access at work yet I get new Hotmail messages. I don't have Hotmail set up on my BB.

Is this normal? How can I disable this when not on wifi without turning off Bridge?

I also have another email account set up via my ISP using IMAP and that only gets email when on wifi.

Why does Hotmail work via Bridge and my IMAP account doesn't?
    07-09-12 09:30 AM
    On the PB, only email accounts set up with EAS can be used over the bridge. Email accounts set up with POP3 or IMAP requires WiFi. Who knows why!? See this post in the FAQ Support thread:

| http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7181567
    Sergeant HCR likes this.
    07-09-12 09:59 AM
    Yep, hotmail, live mail, Google Mail and perhaps others can be used as activesync accounts which work over either.
    Sergeant HCR likes this.
    07-09-12 10:02 AM
    Must be magic, clever how it figures this stuff out all on it's own, maybe it knows what mail accounts are really important and which one's aren't lol
    Sergeant HCR likes this.
    07-09-12 10:44 AM
    my rogers (yahoo) email account is POP3 and it still sends and receives all the time on bridge
    07-09-12 12:11 PM
    my rogers (yahoo) email account is POP3 and it still sends and receives all the time on bridge
    I use the same provider but use IMAP to allow my email to sync across my PB, iPhone and desktop.
    07-09-12 12:35 PM
    On the PB, only email accounts set up with EAS can be used over the bridge. Email accounts set up with POP3 or IMAP requires WiFi. Who knows why!? See this post in the FAQ Support thread:

| http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7181567
    I have a google account setup in native email, not via bridge.
    I believe it's using a pop3/imap settings.

It can use the bridge connection to send and receive messages, in real time.
    wifi is not a must.

always been like that.
    07-11-12 12:14 AM
    I have a google account setup in native email, not via bridge. I believe it's using a pop3/imap settings. ...
    Unless you took special steps, the PB set up your account as an EAS account. If your PB is syncing contacts and calendar, and you didn't establish this by using the CardDAV and CalDAV setups, then your account is EAS.

POP3 and IMAP are mutually exclusive, a single PB account uses either one or the other (although I believe it is possible to set up a Gmail address as a POP3 PB account, and then set up a second PB account which uses IMAP for the same Gmail address --but then you would receive each incoming message twice!).

Here's how to tell which protocol an account uses by examining the account options.
    -> If the option "Keep Messages on Server" is present, it is a POP3 account.
    -> If the advanced option "Messages Sync Timeframe' is present, EAS.
    -> If the advanced option "Initial Retrieval Amount" is present, IMAP.

POP3 and IMAP setups also have options related to SMTP, but not EAS. SMTP is for sending email, while POP3 and IMAP are only for receiving. EAS handles both, as well as contacts and calendar.
    07-13-12 05:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD