Number of PlayBooks sold doubled in the past quarter � Ebscer News

" The above chart shows estimated cumulative PlayBook sales by month based on data from downloads of the free game Pixelated.

Of note is the slope of the graph over the past few months. The past three months (which correspond with RIM�s financial quarter) show more PlayBooks sold over this time frame then all previous months combined. Given how lean inventory was at the end of the last quarter, I think that it is possible that RIM will announce 1M PlayBooks shipped in the past three months.

It looks as if the price cut (and Christmas) has helped drive greater adoption of the PlayBook."
    bluetroll and killa4luv like this.
    03-12-12 09:46 AM
    More good news!
    03-12-12 09:47 AM
    http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-E...bUvbUpU7228577

Also playbook is really ramping it up lately on Amazon.Looking good folks.
    bluetroll and killa4luv like this.
    03-12-12 09:49 AM
    Amazon Best Sellers: best Computer Tablets

Also playbook is really ramping it up lately on Amazon.Looking good folks.
    More good news!
    purijagmohan likes this.
    03-12-12 09:51 AM
    Good news indeed, I just hope it's sustainable.
    03-12-12 09:51 AM
    This proves two things that new OS may not be salable at a high price point it's definitely very very salable at the right price point.This is great news as same OS will be the foundation for BB10 which is

A: Going to be a better product because it will improve on OS 2.
    B: RIM can afford to sell phone hardware at a loss and still make decent profit based on service fees.

This should shut naysayers predicting gloom and doom for RIM.Beauty about new OS is more time passes it only gets better as it's rough edges are removed.We couldn't have said that for BBOS.So over time it will make RIM even more competitive and that should be a warning shot for dominant players.
    03-12-12 10:03 AM
    Some, but not all, of those sold to end users recently were already counted as sold/shipped by RIM in previous quarters, since resellers were clearly sitting on inventory.

But still, it is a positive trend. I can't wait to hear what RIM says.
    03-12-12 10:09 AM
    Some, but not all, of those sold to end users recently were already counted as sold/shipped by RIM in previous quarters, since resellers were clearly sitting on inventory.

But still, it is a positive trend. I can't wait to hear what RIM says.
    Yes, we need our results!
    03-12-12 10:10 AM
    I'd like to know many have not downloaded it as I never have so add 1
    03-12-12 10:11 AM
    that's the worst "measure" of units sold i've ever seen lol
    03-12-12 10:22 AM
    LOL... Keep you opinions to yourself!
    killa4luv likes this.
    03-12-12 10:25 AM
    it's really not an opinion though
    03-12-12 10:27 AM
    And would you care to elaborate why? You are never going to get the real numbers until the earning call.Remember pixelated is one of the top downloaded app for playbook in app world.

And I am confident it's a better measure than your stupid analysts throwing random numbers as estimates.
    03-12-12 10:29 AM
    And would you care to elaborate why? You are never going to get the real numbers until the earning call.Remember pixelated is one of the top downloaded app for playbook in app world.

And I am confident it's a better measure than your stupid analysts throwing random numbers as estimates.
    RIM usually only says how many PlayBook's they shipped in the earnings calls...
    03-12-12 10:40 AM

"I" don't have any "stupid analysts" throwing anything. I also don't really think dismissing these "stupid analysts" and their random number throwing in favour of something as untelling as "did you download this app, maybe, maybe not, maybe you downloaded it months and months after you bought your playbook because you ran out of other crap to download" way of measuring not only numbers sold but WHEN they were sold is very bright. Nor do I think anybody who understands metrics in the least would ask me for an explanation of why this dart throw of a measure is in no way telling of numbers.

I'm not saying these "stupid analysts" have very intelligent numbers, but surely these numbers are not too intelligent either.

I'm not saying "don't spread these numbers", I really don't care, have at it, have fun, at least you've done something remotely interesting with this, but if you really have to ask me why I think your numbers can't be considered accurate then I don't know what to tell you lol

I'm really not trying to troll or start anything but facts are facts and that's not a remotely reliable measure of anything. Cool numbers, fun to play with/look at/whatever, but if you think these analysts are stupid... man... come on.
    a33a likes this.
    03-12-12 10:46 AM
    I'm not sure why you'd consider this such a bad measure. If there's an established uptake rate on Pixelated compared to previously-released sales figures, why couldn't this be extended to estimate sales for this quarter?

Frankly, this sounds pretty consistent. This is about as credible an estimate as I've seen.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    03-12-12 10:47 AM
    ... this dart throw of a measure is in no way telling of numbers..
    And I am sorry I don't think this is a dart throw number.A dart throw number is truly random.Which means it's actually as likely to be 1 as 1 million.

But this is based on number of apps actually downloaded, hence not random.It's very easy to assume a percentage of apps downloaded based on past number of playbook sales ( disclosed numbers by RIM).

Is it the most accurate number we have, no absolutely not.But it's better than throwing dart.Well at least it's good enough for me and based on other comments I don't think I am the only one who shares that sentiment.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-12-12 11:11 AM
    the biggest thing for me is you have zero way of knowing how many people bought their playbook at launch and downloaded one particular superfluous app last week.
    a33a likes this.
    03-12-12 11:23 AM
    the biggest thing for me is you have zero way of knowing how many people bought their playbook at launch and downloaded one particular superfluous app last week.
    You may have zero ways but that doesn't mean there is no way.You can use the sell through numbers disclosed by RIMM during a quarter and use the number of downloads for pixelated during that quarter to approximate a % figure say 5% of all playbooks sold in that quarter.

Pixelated has been a top downloaded app for BlackBerry smartphones as well.So the developer of the app already has a good historical % figure to make an approximation.

As I said is it precise , no.But it's good enough than throwing dart.
    03-12-12 11:34 AM
    You can use the sell through numbers disclosed by RIMM during a quarter and use the number of downloads for pixelated during that quarter to approximate a % figure say 5% of all playbooks sold in that quarter.
    Well, except that we don't have sell through numbers for any quarter from RIM.

Hopefully they will report them this quarter. (And hopefully people will remember the difference and not just add sell through this quarter to sell in from previous quarters).
    03-12-12 12:16 PM
    Well, except that we don't have sell through numbers for any quarter from RIM.

Hopefully they will report them this quarter. (And hopefully people will remember the difference and not just add sell through this quarter to sell in from previous quarters).
    You don't get the sell through numbers unless you actually listen to earnings call.RIM did divulge in Q3 earnings call , they didn't do that for Q1 and Q2.In Q3 earnings call they mentioned that sell through for playbooks was higher than shipments for that quarter and we know what the shipments were: 150,000.
    03-12-12 12:24 PM
    You don't get the sell through numbers unless you actually listen to earnings call.RIM did divulge in Q3 earnings call , they didn't do that for Q1 and Q2.In Q3 earnings call they mentioned that sell through for playbooks was higher than shipments for that quarter and we know what the shipments were: 150,000.
    How much higher? Did they give an actual number?
    03-12-12 12:47 PM
    Actually, you could probably do a pretty good statistics paper studying the sales of a single app as compared to device sales, and find a way to break down those app sales by length of device ownership.
    03-12-12 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD