Unfortunately, this just goes to remind me how creepy the blackberry developers are. I've watched a couple videos of Blaze and the boys doing their split-screen updates, and man, those guys are so creepy.

Look, I don't make apps. Why? Because I don't. Does that take away my right to complain? Absolutely not! I'm doubting you control aircraft, but if I vectored your jet into another aircraft, I would presume you would complain and you would have every right. LOL.

Having no Olympic apps is a huge gaff. Of course, most playbook users wouldn't buy it because their already low self-esteem would take a hit watching extraordinary individuals put that much effort into something.
    07-29-12 04:12 PM
    why do you need an app when you can use any number of native web based sites out there?...
    CerveloJohn and bjw408h like this.
    07-29-12 04:15 PM
    "playbook users wouldn't buy it because their already low self-esteem"

can you just speak for yourself, youve just insulted a lot of people on this forum.
    07-29-12 04:30 PM
    why do you need an app when you can use any number of native web based sites out there?...
    Because all non authorized streams get taken down immediately and the CTV's olympic website requires silverlight to stream live event or any video for that matter. And when you try to stream, it tells you to download the app when there isnt even an app made for the Playbook. So I understand why the OP's pissed as I would too if I were away from home and unable to watch it on TV. Damn u Bell!!!!!!
    07-29-12 04:32 PM
    Because all non authorized streams get taken down immediately and the CTV's olympic website requires silverlight to stream live event or any video for that matter. And when you try to stream, it tells you to download the app when there isnt even an app made for the Playbook. So I understand why the OP's pissed as I would too if I were away from home and unable to watch it on TV. Damn u Bell!!!!!!
    Bell subscribers can view online (mobile) live/footage of the Olympics, I just assumed that Telus and Rogers were doing the same.

Here's a link to two apps for BB (One is Score Mobile, so probably doesn't count) http://www.techvibes.com/blog/five-f...ics-2012-07-28
    Last edited by Oniberry; 07-29-12 at 04:37 PM.
    07-29-12 04:35 PM
    It's frustrating - for what is being billed as the most "social media connected" Olympics yet, it's pretty crappy.

The Olympic app on my phone might as well not exist either - No matter what video I tap on, the message "Sorry, video not available" is all I ever get.
    luqman24 likes this.
    07-29-12 04:36 PM
    Bell subscribers can view online (mobile) live/footage of the Olympics, I just assumed that Telus and Rogers were doing the same.
    I'm a Bell subscriber with the Bell/CTV Olympic app - none of the videos work.
    bungaboy and luqman24 like this.
    07-29-12 04:37 PM

Here's a link to two apps for BB (One is Score Mobile, so probably doesn't count) Five Free Mobile Apps You Should Download to Experience the London 2012 Olympics - Techvibes.com
    I have the app on my phone but Id rather watch it on my Playbook with a bigger screen and not kill my phones battery. And plus the app doesnt even work, the videos wont even play SMH.
    07-29-12 04:40 PM
    I stream from CTV all the time without having Silverlight. I have no comment on streaming the Olympics because I don't care to watch the games at the best of times.

And, OP, my self esteem is just fine but I suspect your's isn't.
    07-29-12 04:41 PM
    I have the app on my phone but Id rather watch it on my Playbook with a bigger screen and not kill my phones battery. And plus the app doesnt even work, the videos wont even play SMH.
    You can try here CTVOlympics - YouTube
    07-29-12 04:46 PM
    Streaming of the Olympics is so convoluted by big media any how, even if there was a PlayBook app it wouldn't likely work because the IOC would have it so wrapped in DRM it would likely lag, crash and burn. That's pretty much the experience I've had with the apps on all the other platforms.
    07-29-12 05:39 PM
    The Olympic Committee should have created an app. Leave the third-party independent devs alone. You don't put food on our tables. NBC should provide a feed that we can tap into if you want an app for that.

Where do you think the data comes from? Out of our a$$es?
    07-29-12 05:48 PM
    Unfortunately, this just goes to remind me how creepy the blackberry developers are. I've watched a couple videos of Blaze and the boys doing their split-screen updates, and man, those guys are so creepy.

Look, I don't make apps. Why? Because I don't. Does that take away my right to complain? Absolutely not! I'm doubting you control aircraft, but if I vectored your jet into another aircraft, I would presume you would complain and you would have every right. LOL.

Having no Olympic apps is a huge gaff. Of course, most playbook users wouldn't buy it because their already low self-esteem would take a hit watching extraordinary individuals put that much effort into something.
    If watching the olympics is so important to you there is a solution and an app. Go get a tv tuner for your pc. Install orb on the pc. Install the free orb app for the PlayBook. Watch whatever channel you wish to. Please don't insult our great developers. We appreciate them.
    nuangel2 likes this.
    07-29-12 06:41 PM

Are you like 14 years old or something? You sound pretty stupid telling everyone they have low esteem because there is no Olympic apps for you. WTF I bet you can get all the apps you want from ipad and you would probably meet a lot of like minded childish people that think and write stupid stuff like you just did.
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    07-29-12 06:46 PM
    the CTV coverage of the Olympics is very good (Canada) through their web site. But I can't view it on my Playbook. As far as I can tell, I can't view any live streaming content.

There is an iPhone app, but I haven't tried it. I don't really want to watch events on my phone screen. I may download it just to see if it even works for live streams though.
    07-29-12 06:51 PM
    We just watched a bit of US news and the announcer said that the network couldn't show "highlights" for 24 hours after the event. I don't know what they were talking about but it could be a reason there are problems even with platforms that have apps.
    07-29-12 07:23 PM
    So how does the iPad olympic app go? I dare say they've put big bucks into making it available on their tablet. They may even have sponsorship deals. I think this Olympics is more about being the most consumer-minded games ever. Just ask Westfields.
    07-29-12 10:33 PM
    So how does the iPad olympic app go? I dare say they've put big bucks into making it available on their tablet. They may even have sponsorship deals. I think this Olympics is more about being the most consumer-minded games ever. Just ask Westfields.
    Here are the first ten reviews for the Ipad CTV Olympic App:

1. And I can't hear anything. Get on it CTV if you want us to watch your garbage ads.

2. Tried v1.1 before updating to v1.2. Netiehr has audio and video. Even for the commercials!

3. No audio..what incompetent programmer wrote this app? What incompetent person tested it? What incompetent CTV manager hired them?

4. This app needs Airplay support so I can stream it to my AppleTV

5. No airplay, for me this means this app is mostly garbage (not sure why or how this was chosen by the editors.

6. Totall useless - no sond for videos

7. No sound.

8. No sound. This problem needs to be fixed ASAP!

9. Crashes constantly, forced to view commercials which had better pe part of the app itself because if I'm forced to pay for the data, i'd rather pay for the app and get rid of them.

10. Terrible App! Does not work at all.

And that, ladies and gentlment pretty much describes alot of apps on the Ipad - the moral of the story is, "be careful what you wish for, you might get it"

07-29-12 11:03 PM

1. And I can't hear anything. Get on it CTV if you want us to watch your garbage ads.

2. Tried v1.1 before updating to v1.2. Netiehr has audio and video. Even for the commercials!

3. No audio..what incompetent programmer wrote this app? What incompetent person tested it? What incompetent CTV manager hired them?

5. No airplay, for me this means this app is mostly garbage (not sure why or how this was chosen by the editors.

7. No sound.

9. Crashes constantly, forced to view commercials which had better pe part of the app itself because if I'm forced to pay for the data, i'd rather pay for the app and get rid of them.

And that, ladies and gentlment pretty much describes alot of apps on the Ipad - the moral of the story is, "be careful what you wish for, you might get it"

Android? Just running down possibilities here.

Perhaps it's just me, but bring back poetry reading to the Olympics. Make it more inclusive of the arts as it once was.
    07-29-12 11:23 PM
    It makes you wonder whether anybody at Bell cares about the app at all. I mean it seems like they've just put the damn thing together, and got it "out the door" right away without even testing it considering it's an app that all of Canada will rely on when theyre away from a TV or computer. So much for quality control...
    Last edited by luqman24; 07-30-12 at 02:10 AM.
    07-30-12 02:07 AM
    I just emailed CTV Olympics and asked if there was a way we can get an App or gain access to streaming/live content asap for the Playbook. Since the Canadian media consortium wants everyone to have access to the Olympics, people like us using Playbooks should have access as we use both HTML5 and Flash in our browser, it wouldn't be hard to code it so we can stream it.
    07-30-12 07:19 AM
    so your problem isnt the lack of an app its not knowing where to go to find the info youre looking for?

bbc.co.uk gives good coverage, tickers of info, video of events etc. dont see the issue.
    07-30-12 07:48 AM
    I've been able to view the Olympics just fine in the U.S. via NBC's site. However, it does ask you to sign in via either your cable or satellite provider.
    07-30-12 10:14 AM
    Sorry you don't have the app you think you deserve & hope you find a suitable way to watch the Olympics on your Playbook. Totally baffled by your insulting comments about our developers and pretty much all Playbook users. Unnecessary to say the least.
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    07-30-12 10:53 AM

7. No sound.

Adobe. Kinda says it all. And yes, I say that knowing the PlayBook runs on AIR mostly but Adobe in general sucks at building apps lol.
    07-30-12 11:24 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD