I don't want to cause alarm but thought I'd share with you what one Staples associate in the U.S told me.

I went to a local Staples to get the Playbook but they sold out so I called a different store. That store sold out too so I asked when they expected new shipments and was told rather confidently by the sales associate there that there will not be anymore shipments because they've discontinued the playbook and are expecting a new model - thus explaining the sale price.

Can this be possible?? Discontinuing it within 1 year of launch on the eve of OS 2.0??
    09-26-11 07:04 PM
    One of the worst things you can do is listen to a sales rep. They know nothing. And even when there is actually something to know, they still don't.
    09-26-11 07:12 PM
    Agree with nick and even worse than a reg sales rep is a best buy or staples employee/sales rep. They don't even know how to use the playbook heck half of them don't even know what it is.
    angel_esq, 3migo, jamesuc and 2 others like this.
    09-26-11 07:18 PM
    I don't want to cause alarm but thought I'd share with you what one Staples associate in the U.S told me.

I went to a local Staples to get the Playbook but they sold out so I called a different store. That store sold out too so I asked when they expected new shipments and was told rather confidently by the sales associate there that there will not be anymore shipments because they've discontinued the playbook and are expecting a new model - thus explaining the sale price.

Can this be possible?? Discontinuing it within 1 year of launch on the eve of OS 2.0??
    There's a rumor for every imaginable outcome. Personally I would not give much cred to a salesperson that typically cant even tell me how to turn on the device. People make assumptions all the time based on their own guess. Nothing personal but I don't give a lot of cred to people who sign up just to spread a rumor about what someone "told them" with no confirmation from a credible source either.
    npunk42 likes this.
    09-26-11 07:22 PM
    Agree with nick and even worse than a reg sales rep is a best buy or staples employee/sales rep. They don't even know how to use the playbook heck half of them don't even know what it is.
    I agree with @Erandhawa. Went to Staples yesterday to buy a PlayBook. The Assistant Manager rang up my order. First he was surprised at the $100 instant savings, then the rebate forms printed from the register. Was shocked to see a $100 rebate. Tells the Staples Tech person ringing up another sale, "That's a good price! $100 off and a $100 rebate."
    09-26-11 07:38 PM
    There's a rumor for every imaginable outcome. Personally I would not give much cred to a salesperson that typically cant even tell me how to turn on the device. People make assumptions all the time based on their own guess. Nothing personal but I don't give a lot of cred to people who sign up just to spread a rumor about what someone "told them" with no confirmation from a credible source either.
    That was personal. Read my previous posts (there's only 4 of them) and understand that's not why I signed up. I was sharing something that I was told. Is the rep completely clueless and just making it up? Likely. Did I lie about this encounter? You seem to think so.
    09-26-11 08:01 PM
    My guess: Rim would rather restock stores with a pb that has been updated to OS2 when it comes. So maybe they are withholding stock or Staples wants to wait for fresh stock that has OS2.
    09-26-11 08:15 PM
    My guess is A) Clearing stock for 3g/ LTE version B) Boosting sales for Q3 C) Need cash and want to reduce inventory.

With the threat of a double dip recession its going to be hard to sell higher priced tablets that havent had the greastest reviews
    09-26-11 09:35 PM
    My fingers are crossed that they release new PB w/ OS 2.0 pre-installed with the same sale prices.

I will snatch one up asap!
    09-26-11 11:29 PM
    I bet my whole saving that RIM will not discontinued PB, at least not until 2.0 comes out and they could see the result a couple months after that.
    09-27-11 01:25 AM
    by now theyre probably reducing shipments and updating their existing inventory to os2 ready for the big relaunch

everyone loves a good artificial shortage to cause some buzz... wait what am i saying? this is RIM, they dont do marketing or anything as complex as that
    09-27-11 01:39 AM
    My guess is A) Clearing stock for 3g/ LTE version B) Boosting sales for Q3 C) Need cash and want to reduce inventory.

With the threat of a double dip recession its going to be hard to sell higher priced tablets that havent had the greastest reviews
    I'd put my money on A, not surprised in the least if they stop making wi-fi only and all that will be made in the future with OS 2 is 3/4 G with wi-fi.
    09-27-11 01:51 AM
    My fingers are crossed that they release new PB w/ OS 2.0 pre-installed with the same sale prices.

I will snatch one up asap!
    When the 2.1 patch comew out, we'll be back to needing to update the OS on first boot again. Why don't you just buy one now and get to enjoy it until OS 2 comes out. Then it will be like getting a second Playbook without having to pay for it. Even if they reduce prices more, the discounts make it pretty desirable.
    09-27-11 02:38 AM
    See other threads, even when they have them in stock, they say they don't. You have to push them and tell them you checked online or called in and were told they are in stock, 2 minutes later, sale rep will mysteriously find some playbooks in the back of the store...
    09-27-11 03:27 AM
    I heard that Facebook is going to start charging money!!!!!!!1
    09-27-11 08:33 AM
    Does RIM have any Reps in the US that visit Best Buys, Staples, and Office Depot's? If so do they actually do anything or just spend their day in Starbucks saying they are visiting these places? If not, then WTF?!

Dear RIM

Please venture out from the borders of Waterloo, visit some of these retail places in the US that carry the Playbook, and see how miserable the Playbook is displayed, updated, etc by your retail "partners". Then go over to the Apple display, it will likely be in a different part of the store and have a professional built, specific display made by Apple. Take notes, and come up with a real retail strategy! I know that this is new to you, because you've had carriers take care of your marketing before, but seriously a high school student doing a project for a class could probably have gone to a store, see what the competition was doing and come up with something better than your current strategy.
    vespajet and kbz1960 like this.
    09-27-11 10:00 AM
    <SNIP>

Please disregard all gibberish that follows.
    09-27-11 11:17 AM
    the problem i find with the Original Post and the Original Poster is that he only mentions one company/retailer/distributor or whatever you want to call them

are Staples the only person in the world who can sell Playbooks then?

Common sense would be, "really, i better check other stockists as i cannot take the opinion of one retail chain"

also like others have said, would you discontinue a device that you have significantly upgraded ready to roll the new software out in October?

would a company on the back foot discontinue one of their only competitors in a huge market? iphone - ipad, blackberry - playbook, HTC - Flyer

Sorry mate but you dug your own hole by just not thinking about it first, and now i am going to watch as everyone enjoys watching you in that hole tryin to get out.
    8lackberry8 likes this.
    09-27-11 11:34 AM
    I dont understand this thread - i thought it was common knowledge that this was happening in prep for v 2.0 - yes the original PB is being re-launched as v2.0 so the original PB is being "discontinued".
    09-27-11 01:23 PM
    Fair to say I jumped the gun and had gotten a little too excited.

Just bought a PlayBook. Finally found one after going to 5 different stores that said they had one but turned out to be a damaged unit or returned device they couldn't sell out. FYI: All Staples and Best Buy have apparently sold out of 16GB and 32GB PlayBooks. Feel free to confirm that by checking online inventories with zip code 02116.
    09-27-11 01:32 PM
    09-27-11 06:05 PM
    This is probably just RIM clearing the channel so the new Tablet OS 2.0 units in packages touting the new features will not have to sit on shelves alongside the old ones.

I say be excited about this, not worried: if all the units in inventory sell out that means double the units in customers hands and pent up demand for the 2.0 units.

i hope that RIM can and will launch OS 2.0 sooner than after devcon if the promotional pricing works faster / better than anticipated.
    09-27-11 06:23 PM
    Just based off of my experience hunting down a playbook (learned my lesson about quoting sales reps), i would say the pricing is working. it certainly helped me make my decision on getting one even if i'm not quite sure how this tablet fits into my day to day. liking it so far though afraid it was going to be too small but found it to be quite alright looking forward to new os and app player!
    09-27-11 06:44 PM
    I was at my local Best Buy on Sunday, and asked if they would price match Staples for a 64 Gig PB. Was told that they were not in the stores system any longer, and the PB had been discontinued. Even the display model had been pulled. I told him that they were still for sale online at bestbuy.com, and he said "they may be getting rid of what they had in the warehouses.

True or not? I don't know, but I do think the 2.0 units are coming despite what some clerk tells me. Oh, btw, he was going to try to price match for me at the $499.00 Staples price. At least that was nice to hear.
    09-27-11 06:46 PM
    I think if discontinued it would be on the front page. Someone should ask to look at their screen where it says discontinued.

What my search brought up for bb.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 09-27-11 at 07:13 PM. Reason: add screen shot
    09-27-11 07:03 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD