Why do we not have BlackBerry Protect, BlackBerry Travel or BlackBerry Traffic on the PlayBook?? Is it because RIM is waiting to release BB10 On the PlayBook and those Apps are being ported to BB10 rather then 2.0? Those are GREAT apps and curious why we are still waiting for them. Is this the same reason we don't have BBM on the PlayBook, I wonder is it because RIM wants to due 1 complete transition rather then going from OS7 to 2.0 then to OS10. Anyone care to share, Will this PlayBook get another Amazing update to BB10?? RIM has some great apps and I would love to see those transfer over to the PlayBook. If BBM does come over I hope we have the ability to forward BBM's (Don't want my phone and tablet to go off like it does with email, ANNOYING. BlackBerry Bold (Ding), PlayBook (Ding) Bridge (Ding), Simple forward would fix this.
    11-08-12 08:30 PM
    The apps have to be completely re-written for the QNX-based PlayBook and BB10 platforms. When the PB came out RIM was still focused on BB7, by the time BB7 was out RIM had already decided to transition Tablet OS into BBX (now BB10). So it made more sense to build apps for BB10 where they've got Cascades than to build them in AIR for the PB. When the PB gets BB10 early next year it'll get Cascades and all the apps.
    11-08-12 08:47 PM
    The apps have to be completely re-written for the QNX-based PlayBook and BB10 platforms. When the PB came out RIM was still focused on BB7, by the time BB7 was out RIM had already decided to transition Tablet OS into BBX (now BB10). So it made more sense to build apps for BB10 where they've got Cascades than to build them in AIR for the PB. When the PB gets BB10 early next year it'll get Cascades and all the apps.
    Nice try Taylor. However, the answer is much more ominous...the BlackBerry Tablet development team lacked the foresight to think BlackBerry PlayBook users might want BlackBerry Protect (although storage might have played a role in the decision not to offer this service), and BlackBerry Travel (they likely thought you can use the website or your BlackBerry smartphone), and as for BlackBerry Traffic who knows what they were thinking. If BlackBerry OS 10 is released feature incomplete the backlash will send RIMM into penny-stock territory faster than a greased pig can slide through your pudgy fingers. LOL
    Jonathank, bdguru and jon4400 like this.
    11-09-12 02:53 AM
    Nice try Taylor. However, the answer is much more ominous...the BlackBerry Tablet development team lacked the foresight to think BlackBerry PlayBook users might want BlackBerry Protect (although storage might have played a role in the decision not to offer this service), and BlackBerry Travel (they likely thought you can use the website or your BlackBerry smartphone), and as for BlackBerry Traffic who knows what they were thinking. If BlackBerry OS 10 is released feature incomplete the backlash will send RIMM into penny-stock territory faster than a greased pig can slide through your pudgy fingers. LOL
    Such a sad life you must lead to spend so much time on a site spewing nothing but negativity.
    11-09-12 04:17 AM
    The PB is already QNX. It seems if these apps are going to be available on the platform due out in less than 3 months they should already be written. Why not release them through the PB? That would give them a little shake out time. I completely agree with the OP, a tablet sized for easy transport will be used a lot for traveling. There should be PB protect and BB travel at a minimum. With those features they could sell the PB through the kiosks or small airport stores.
    11-09-12 07:08 AM
    Please provide bonifide evidence for your claims.
    11-09-12 08:25 AM
    You have to think that the playbook is a business tablet, in that sense, it is not supported the same way. I have blackberry protect on mine, it's called Blackberry Fusion, it's currently activatedon my blackberry server and I can remotely wipe it or lock it in case of loss.
    11-09-12 08:49 AM
    I would love to have all of these apps on my Playbook, including BB Wallet. I really hope to see them in the future with BB10. In the meantime, I'll keep loving this great tablet just the way it is with warts and all. Thanks for posting!
    11-09-12 09:15 AM
    I wouldn't look for RIM to put out any apps just for the PlayBook. They have been concentrating on BB10, like they should. They have already said that BB10 will come to the PlayBook, so it really does look like they are concentrating on apps for BB10.

I agree they have a good set of base apps for their BB phone lineup. It would make sense for this to carry over to BB10.

Part of the issue is that a lot of the apps that are being developed for BB10 by RIM are being made with Cascades and QML, which is not supported in the PlayBook OS. The PlayBook will need to be updated to BB10 to support Cascades. Hopefully it won't be too long after the BB10 phones are released that the PlayBook starts getting its update.
    bdguru likes this.
    11-09-12 10:54 AM
    I would also Love to have My Password Keeper on my PlayBook
    bdguru and anon(4262895) like this.
    11-09-12 12:35 PM
    Such a sad life you must lead to spend so much time on a site spewing nothing but negativity.
    What negativity? Is telling the truth an offence on this forum? As for your personal attack I will overlook your lapse in judgement rather than flag your message. Good day, WillieLee.
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    11-09-12 02:07 PM
    Please provide bonifide evidence for your claims.
    I already provided my reasoning in the original message which you quoted. This is not a court of law...I do not need evidence to have a rational opinion. Nothing in the message was negative; it was my opinion about the reason certain applications were not brought to this tablet. If anything I was being gracious to the development team.
    11-09-12 02:13 PM
    Been saying this from the beginning. Why are these apps missing from the PB even 18 months later. Yet we harass the of Netflix and Skype even by way of petition to write apps for the PB when RIM cannot write apps for their own products.
    mcmolineux likes this.
    11-09-12 02:14 PM
    I don't think lacking BB Protect, Maps, and Traffic would send RIMM into penny stock territory, but I do agree that they lacked foresight. They screwed up initially, but they're making great strides now. I sure HOPE they have Protect and Maps (and the rest) in OS10.
    11-09-12 02:35 PM
    I already provided my reasoning in the original message which you quoted. This is not a court of law...I do not need evidence to have a rational opinion. Nothing in the message was negative; it was my opinion about the reason certain applications were not brought to this tablet. If anything I was being gracious to the development team.
    Nope. Not buying that. You said ". . . . the BlackBerry Tablet development team lacked the foresight . . . . " I said prove it. And you can't.
    11-09-12 04:53 PM
    What negativity? Is telling the truth an offence on this forum? As for your personal attack I will overlook your lapse in judgement rather than flag your message. Good day, WillieLee.
    Is telling the truth an offence on this forum? "Such a sad life you must lead to spend so much time on a site spewing nothing but negativity."

Truth matters. . . . . . . Flag away
    11-09-12 04:57 PM
    Rumour has it that there will be an app that is Traffic and Maps combined on BB10.
    11-09-12 05:18 PM
    The reason why that even though they're already developed and haven't been released for PB is twofold. Firstly, as Xopher said the apps won't work until the PB has been updated to BB10 because they use capabilites PBOS2 doesn't have but BB10 does. Also, though they may be "ready" in the sense they work, there are undoubtedly bugs that need fixing. Secondly, apart from maybe BBM these apps will be built into the OS and not available through App World so deploying them isn't as easy as is made out.
    11-10-12 06:23 PM
    I thought it was pretty much known that all this is coming in BB10 when it arrives on the PlayBook??? Like others said, Cascades isn't supported on the PlayBook and it would be an incredible waste of time to make these apps for the playbook when we all know BB10 is coming to it
    11-10-12 10:53 PM
    I don't think lacking BB Protect, Maps, and Traffic would send RIMM into penny stock territory, but I do agree that they lacked foresight. They screwed up initially, but they're making great strides now. I sure HOPE they have Protect and Maps (and the rest) in OS10.
    I did not mean those three features would send RIMM into penny stock territory, just the lack of foresight. BlackBerry Protect, with true incremental or differential backup, could reduce much of the complaints about backups through BlackBerry Desktop Software. BlackBerry Maps and BlackBerry Travel could have been integrated via BlackBerry Bridge although full native versions would be useful for those without BlackBerry smartphones. I am waiting for BlackBerry OS 10 for the BlackBerry PlayBook and hope application developers embrace the platform. This tablet remains a solid workhorse from a hardware and software perspective and can hold its own against newer tablets but its full potential has been hamstrung by Research In Motion. Maybe BlackBerry OS 10 will finally unleash the full potential of this tablet.
    11-11-12 01:41 AM