As for the AT&T thing.. that's AT&T being pricks and not wanting to give up their tethering fees. They can only block the download on app world.. once people install it on their device they can't do anything about it.
    04-19-11 09:56 AM
    Just as we're figuring out a way to get bridge on at&t devices, they are working on a way to block access. Let the battle begin!
    04-19-11 10:02 AM
    No BlackBerry Messenger via BlackBerry Bridge on the PlayBook at launch - Software Update coming within a few weeks to enable it | CrackBerry.com

From RIM:

...a software update for BBM functionality is expected to be available within a few weeks, and customers will be able to download the software update over-the-air.
    Not that we'll get it from RIM, but I would love to have more info as to why they couldn't make it available at launch. If there is a very good reason for it, which I am sure there is, then cest la vie...it will be there eventually.
    04-19-11 10:07 AM
    No BlackBerry Messenger via BlackBerry Bridge on the PlayBook at launch - Software Update coming within a few weeks to enable it | CrackBerry.com

From RIM:

...a software update for BBM functionality is expected to be available within a few weeks, and customers will be able to download the software update over-the-air.
    wow... thats pretty fail.

was going to go and get mine this week. not likely anymore. will wait until the bugs are out and they have bbm on it.
    04-19-11 10:09 AM
    As for the AT&T thing.. that's AT&T being pricks and not wanting to give up their tethering fees. They can only block the download on app world.. once people install it on their device they can't do anything about it.
    RIM may be contractually obligated to let AT&T block this on App World ... but I wonder if RIM would be ballsy to change the app description and say "... for AT&T users, please use this OTA link ..."
    04-19-11 10:10 AM
    can you get a statement why bridge crashes the pb?
    04-19-11 10:11 AM
    Mine isn't crashing. I got it first thing this morning and have been using it exclusively without an issue.
    04-19-11 10:17 AM
    can you get a statement why bridge crashes the pb?
    As I made note during my reviews and bridge video recently.... you really get the feeling that bridge is the least solid thing on the playbook. it's a bit of a catch 22.. without bridge hooked up the playbook feels a bit "empty"... but when hooked up it feels a bit gitterish with the bridge apps. it hopefully shouldn't be crashing it though. you may want to do a wipe on the device (FULLY uninstall bridge) and try it again. early days....
    04-19-11 10:23 AM
    So i got my playbook this morning, got everything set up, pb os is at 1690. bridge installed on my torch, and the bridge is working.

But where is my BBM? why dont i have it on my playbook?
    It's not available yet... It will be apart of a software update later. RIM was upfront about this.
    04-19-11 10:47 AM
    That's for sure. I really hope the government doesn't allow the sale of TMO to those greedy SOBs
    04-19-11 10:50 AM
    While no bbm on the bridge is a slight annoyance, one thing I am wondering about is whether or not we will see further rim programs or even 3rd party apps working with it in the future, it would make sense considering that they want to make bbm more of a social platform.
    04-19-11 10:57 AM
    And no Windows MSN Client available either nor Skype client available either. Yes I know they are coming but it is a little sad that you cant actually msg anyone using the Playbook as yet.
    04-19-11 10:57 AM
    Well, mail does qualify as messaging......

04-19-11 11:13 AM
    This all reminds me of when my wife ran out and got her Xoom. She was excited, Flash, 4G/LTE, it even has a SD card slot! except when she got it home, no Flash support (yet), no 4G (yet, probably not for a long time in our area), the SD card slot is disabled until the 4G upgrade! The screen is nice, but she cannot rename or edit any photos within the native gallery app, and the 3rd party ones are a bit clunky. The Flash thing has been sorted since then. Still she loves it and uses it every day for her business. It actually pays for itself. All of this to say if you like it keep it, if you don't, take it back. But this is not to say we shouldn't keep on RIMs donkey to meet our expectations, at least what we were led to expect.
    04-19-11 11:22 AM

tsk tsk tsk. Such language, Kevin. But, agreed.
    04-19-11 12:00 PM
    bbm is supose to be out today
    04-19-11 04:25 PM
    if anyone gets it let us know...we will do the same
    04-19-11 04:32 PM
    That would be sweet if it came out already. Here's hoping...
    04-20-11 07:39 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD