Have to agree with the figures, experienced it in the wild:

Playbook maybe enterprise ready, but it wasn't ready in time!

Ninety-five percent of enterprises choose iPad over Android | ZDNet
    07-22-11 03:02 AM
    wonder what happens after the security certification, will that influence possible purchases in the future for enterprise?
    07-22-11 03:24 AM
    This article is irrelevant. It's basically a comparison of iOS to Android in the enterprise.

It consists of data from a company called Good, which makes a BES alternative for iOS and Android. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out why RIM devices aren't going to be listed in their figures.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    07-22-11 03:26 AM
    I completely disagree with that statistic. It simply makes no sense.
    07-22-11 03:47 AM
    As mentioned Good has a huge, huge vested interest...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    07-22-11 03:57 AM
    I agree...this is essentially good trying to make it sound that they are a big part of enterprise.

I always considered Good to be a bandaid solution for getting enterprise mail on the iPhone/iPad...McAfee EMM is a 'real' solution.
    07-22-11 08:02 AM
    well all that this really tells me is that we need to start working on an "iOS-app player" ... !
    07-22-11 08:18 AM
    Will be interesting to see what happens when the Native e-mail/PIM is on the Playbook combined with FIPS certification. If the Feds go in, then it spreads to the contractor companies, then from the Federal side of the companies to business side, etc.
    07-22-11 08:22 AM
    *fart noise* hahaha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ericlc2 likes this.
    07-22-11 08:29 AM
    Revisit this thread in a year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 08:45 AM
    apple is very organised. even the original post on this article is from the apple team. the reason why pb gets so much flak is an organised hunt from apple. they go after the pb with vigor because it is a real threat. if u cant beat them, u start a smear campaign. typical sun tze war tactic.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    07-22-11 08:46 AM
    I don't understand why the title implies that enterprises are choosing iPad over Playbook, when the stats show nothing about Playbook. Thats like comparing BB vs Nokia sales and saying consumers prefer BB over Nokia and iOS...
    asherwiin and sk8er_tor like this.
    07-22-11 08:51 AM
    This is a useless analysis in regards to the Playbook. It is for tablet activations during a period when the Playbook wasn't even fully available, and when a number of major Android tablets like the Xoom were not shipping. When you are the only game in town, you expect to own 100% of the market. This 95% share will come crashing down over the next year.

in fact, i just read another report that stated that the iPad's total consumer market share has dropped from over 90% to under 70% in just the past 3 months, as other tablets have come to the market. OMG!! :-)

You could spin that as the beginning of the end of Apple if you want, just the same way people have spun the demise of Rim the same way given their loss of smartphone marketshare.... except that both companies have shipped more product than ever before, into a rapidly expanding market.
    lnichols, Orbitor1 and sk8er_tor like this.
    07-22-11 09:17 AM
    apple is very organised. even the original post on this article is from the apple team. the reason why pb gets so much flak is an organised hunt from apple. they go after the pb with vigor because it is a real threat. if u cant beat them, u start a smear campaign. typical sun tze war tactic.
    I totally agree, if the PB was just a run of the mill, flash in the pan, one day wonder, junkie tablet, no one would give it a second thought, Apple has just cause to be concerned. The next four months are going to be extremely entertaining.
    Cheers
    07-22-11 09:24 AM
    This is a useless analysis in regards to the Playbook. It is for tablet activations during a period when the Playbook wasn't even fully available, and when a number of major Android tablets like the Xoom were not shipping. When you are the only game in town, you expect to own 100% of the market. This 95% share will come crashing down over the next year.

in fact, i just read another report that stated that the iPad's total consumer market share has dropped from over 90% to under 70% in just the past 3 months, as other tablets have come to the market. OMG!! :-)

You could spin that as the beginning of the end of Apple if you want, just the same way people have spun the demise of Rim the same way given their loss of smartphone marketshare.... except that both companies have shipped more product than ever before, into a rapidly expanding market.
    Another thing to consider is that this statistic shows the number of devices activated by Good's "BES", which will obviously not include RIM, since they would not be activated by Good. There could have been 9 iPhone activations and 1 Android activation and these statistics would be accurate. These graphs in no way at all represent that iPad is preferred over Playbook. GG
    07-22-11 10:03 AM
    no IT department would chose a tablet which got no PIM function.
    and those IT guys comes over here and reading across the forum, seeing the euphoric playbook users cheering at androids application, ported to their device. it's sad seeing such desperation.

the whole thing is running like a headless chicken. no direction.
    07-22-11 10:44 AM
    I've had conversations with various IT admins on this issue, and they frankly hate having to deal with iPads in a BES infrastructure. Most of the people asking for iPads are higher ups because they think it's "so cool". The IT people have to do various work arounds just to make it work, and it's a huge headache. It's also too early to say "95% of enterprise choose iPad" when it has a 1.5 year head start compared to PB and other tablets.
    07-22-11 11:31 AM
    95% is too optimistic. right now android got 30% or the market so ipad's share got to be in 60% or so.
    cool it is, and what the boss says is what matters. the lower-ups will be told to do it and they will have to do it no matter what.
    imagine explaining email on playbook to a CIO, and tried to bridge at the same time, won't be easy. its easier just to push one shortcut, and show emails, listed.
    and for corporate bosses, averaging 50 years old, bigger screen is better. that;s for sure.
    07-22-11 11:39 AM
    I agree with the fellow members, these statistics have nothing to do with the PB, I can however see why Apple would do this, let's revisit this topic in 2 years once the PB has had the same time to mature as the iPad
    07-22-11 12:50 PM
    I agree with the fellow members, these statistics have nothing to do with the PB, I can however see why Apple would do this, let's revisit this topic in 2 years once the PB has had the same time to mature as the iPad
    Currently, the iPad is averaging over 700K units sold per week. The only data from RIM suggested an 83K units per week "shipped." Even if we compare the devices first six weeks on the market, the iPad sold two million units in its first two months, for an average of 222K a week, well beyond RIM's 83K.

if u cant beat them, u start a smear campaign. typical sun tze war tactic.
    You're right, and based on the above numbers I guess we can expect RIM's smear campaign to start any day now.
    07-22-11 02:27 PM
    Remember the time frame

iPad is three years (?) old
    Playbook is three months old
    Android: many have not even come out

5% enterprise interest is pretty good for something so new or not even on the market.

Come back with this thread in two years.
    Last edited by mandony; 07-22-11 at 02:37 PM.
    07-22-11 02:34 PM
    Is this because 95 percent of them really had no choice until now, considering the insecurity of android ?
    07-22-11 02:53 PM
    This article is irrelevant. It's basically a comparison of iOS to Android in the enterprise.

It consists of data from a company called Good, which makes a BES alternative for iOS and Android. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out why RIM devices aren't going to be listed in their figures.
    Exactly. I can't understand why the media constantly has to twist stuff like this into a RIM basing exercise.
    07-22-11 02:54 PM
    Exactly. I can't understand why the media constantly has to twist stuff like this into a RIM basing exercise.
    Simply:
    Apple TROLLS
    'Likely' Apple PAYOFFS

Why:
    Apple not wanting to have competitor products on their turf
    07-22-11 03:00 PM
    no IT department would chose a tablet which got no PIM function.
    and those IT guys comes over here and reading across the forum, seeing the euphoric playbook users cheering at androids application, ported to their device. it's sad seeing such desperation.

the whole thing is running like a headless chicken. no direction.
    Sorry but times have changed, consumerisation has changed tech in the enterprise and i've experienced it in many in recent years. No longer can IT say its 'IT policy', the requests are coming from the top and CIO's have no choice but deliver, a RIM tablet wasn't an option as it didn't exist.

We and others have had Good security put through detailed security assessments and it meets the requirements to make it viable, the device is another thing all together.

Apple has made a huge step in and Good is the solution and Apples marketing machine has and is working.

Is this because 95 percent of them really had no choice until now, considering the insecurity of android ?
    In my opinion exactly, RIM to slow. to busy chasing the competition with stupid devices like 'storm' and working on to many devices at once.
    07-22-11 03:25 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD