Short story: Poynt for the PlayBook has a feature which appears only if you're in Bridge mode with your BlackBerry smartphone. It allows you to pair with your BB (and vice versa), presumably to allow you to share your BB's Internet data connection and thus search for points of interest (POI) when you're PlayBook is not connected to WiFi and is in Bridge Mode with your BlackBerry smartphone.

I've quoted below the email chain from Poynt. The slightly confusing thing is that the option on the PlayBook to pair with the BB is there, but not vice versa. The email from Poynt clarifies things and is quite exciting!

Hi there,

Thanks for your email. The Pairing feature is still in development and should not be appearing in the App. We apologize for any inconvenience, the good news is that the feature is in the final testing stages and should be released shortly.

Enjoy your day,

The Poynt Support Team

e: [email protected]
    w: Poynt is a free local search application for your iPhone or BlackBerry smartphone.

Follow Poynt on Twitter!

Share your Get There moments on Facebook!

Use Poynt to Get There in the U.S., Canada, Australia, the U.K., Italy, France, Spain and Germany.

Poynt is an award-winning app available for your Blackberry, iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 7 and Nokia Mobile Device !
    Original Message
    ----------------
    Subject: Pairing Poynt application between PlayBook and BlackBerry smartphone
    To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>
    Date: 2011-04-23 09:14:33

The BlackBerry PlayBook version of poynt has instructions on how to pair with a BB smartphone while in bridge mode, presumably to access the data plan on the phone when the PlayBook is out of WiFi coverage.

The instructions indicate how to pair the BB back to the PlayBook in the Poynt application on the BB, but no such menu choice exists. I have the latest version of Poynt installed on both devices, so what am I missing?

Thanks,

/Eric
    04-23-11 10:15 PM
    That would be a cool feature to have when out of wifi range. Poynt on the PB is soooo much nicer to use than on the phone.
    04-23-11 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD