Hey Wrench Man,

Happy Boxing Day (they keep the name even though they have given up the servants).

I'm not convinced that using the buttons to do a reboot is any different from the reboot one gets by selecting Restart from the battery icon. CS told me that the button method is there in case the PB is frozen and you cannot bring up the battery icon. Either way seems to take the same (long) amount of time and gives the same colo(u)red circles. What do you think?

Happiest of years with good health to ALL.
    12-26-12 07:54 AM
    Hey Wrench Man,

Happy Boxing Day (they keep the name even though they have given up the servants).

I'm not convinced that using the buttons to do a reboot is any different from the reboot one gets by selecting Restart from the battery icon. CS told me that the button method is there in case the PB is frozen and you cannot bring up the battery icon. Either way seems to take the same (long) amount of time and gives the same colo(u)red circles. What do you think?

Happiest of years with good health to ALL.
    Happy Boxing Day to you as well. I can't add much more than I've already said. If you've read what I've explained above you will see an obvious difference between a normal restart and the hard reset method, that being there is no notification of "PlayBook Is Turning Off" or "PlayBook is Restarting" due in part because the normal shutdown is prevented by an immediate poweroff, much the same as a battery pull. Any normal shutdown allows apps, processes and services to normally close. It has to or you would always lose settings and unsaved data. The hard reset does not allow the closing of anything, it can't if the power is immediately removed. Thats the point, to prevent the saving of a corrupt process and allowing it to resume upon the restart. We have experienced instances where restarts and turning off by holding the power button down until off (which in the manual is listed as a normal turning off option) have not resolved a problem where the hard reset did. Honestly, I'm not here to convince you. I'm just here to share what I've been told and have experienced. You do what works for you. For me the differences observed during the two processes makes it obvious they are different and there is definitely a difference between allowing a device to normally shutdown and pulling the plug while running. Besides, as mentioned previously, we were advised to use the hard reset by tech support, not consumer CS, of which is known here as not always giving out correct information.

As to your comment about them taking the same amount of time,they definitely don't. Try it and time it. During what I call a hard reset, once the option notification goes off the screen goes immediately black, exactly one second passes before the red LED comes on, signaling the powering on process. Using the restart method you select the battery icon, select the restart option and you get a notification of "PlayBook is Restarting" . There is a second or two of that display before the screen goes to the backlit glow, and 28 seconds pass from the dim glow until the screen goes completely black, whereas with the previous method the screen goes immediately black. That long time interval is the normal shutdown taking place Another few seconds pass before the red LED comes on, signaling the power on process. Definitely not the same timespan, correspondingly, different processes taking place. Try it. Have a good one!.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-26-12 at 09:26 PM.
    okader likes this.
    12-26-12 08:30 PM
    I do not disagree with your points, I only reported what I had been told and posted my confusion. I misspoke, for I was told "no difference (as long as the PB is not frozen)" by Tech Support not CS. In any case working it your way cannot hurt (much like giving chicken soup to the dead). Have a good one.
    12-26-12 08:52 PM
    Sorry, I had forgotten to add the last part and was editing it while you posted. Read the last part and try it. See if you notice a difference
    12-26-12 09:28 PM
    Sorry, I had forgotten to add the last part and was editing it while you posted. Read the last part and try it. See if you notice a difference
    I agree; it is nice to know there is a difference. Ciao.
    12-26-12 09:34 PM
    I'll throw in pictures of the various PB chargers, at least the US versions. I presume other versions are similar but have different PLUGS to match foreign sockets.
    Attached Thumbnails Newbie Tips, Tricks and things you MUST know about the BlackBerry PlayBook-playbookchargers2.jpg  
    01-04-13 07:59 PM
    So using my bb 9930 charger is okay or not to charge my play. Book?
    01-27-13 08:09 AM
    The 9930 charger really doesn't have enough power to do a quick recharge of the Playbook. If you leave the Playbook in standby and don't use it while it's charging though, that charger will work. I've done it while traveling, not wanting to take along the Playbook charging dock. It's even worse with USB charging of the Playbook. It's very, very slow to charge, even in standby.
    01-27-13 08:29 AM
    Mine seems to charge ok not fast but since I don't have my charging pod or rapid charger yet my phone one works ok at my desk and regular charger in family room.
    01-27-13 08:43 AM
    It's fine, I do it all the time when large uploads to youtube are happening. When it stands by, I place the cover over it just in case it happens to turn on by itself from the notification once an upload completes.
    01-27-13 02:10 PM
    Hi the scroll button is stuck on my daughters BB. I've tried soft and hard resets but with no joy. I've followed advice and gotten the event log up but can't hit the delete key due to the scroll button not working any other way of clearing it please?
    02-10-13 08:01 AM
    Hi the scroll button is stuck on my daughters BB. I've tried soft and hard resets but with no joy. I've followed advice and gotten the event log up but can't hit the delete key due to the scroll button not working any other way of clearing it please?
    If the trackwheel (old eh?) Isn't working, it's best to go to a repair shop since warranty is out of the question. If the trackball or trackpad isn't working, if it's still under warranty (depending on the carrier), you'll need to have it cleaned out or replaced.
    02-10-13 10:19 AM
    When I plug in the USB cable from PC to playbook I get a message that the device cannot be charged from this source. Any ideas why not? It couples up to PC ok in Blackberry desktop Manager and can back up OK but won't charge from the PC.
    02-16-13 04:14 AM
    It might just be a very slow charge.
    02-16-13 07:51 PM

When I plug in the USB cable from PC to playbook I get a message that the device cannot be charged from this source. Any ideas why not? It couples up to PC ok in Blackberry desktop Manager and can back up OK but won't charge from the PC.
    RE: When I plug in the USB cable from PC to playbook I get a message that the device cannot be charged from this source. Any ideas why not? It couples up to PC ok in Blackberry desktop Manager and can back up OK but won't charge from the PC.

Q: Do you have the stock Playbook wall charger?
    LOOK at the output ratings on it- 5v DC, 1.8AMPS

FYI:
    Output on USB ports on PC's are regulated to a max of 380-530 millamps.... (About 1/4 what the stock charger outputs)
    If you are wanting to charge the unit while hooked up to a PC, it would be BEST if you are doing so thru a 2amp POWERED HUB.... this will boost up amperage up.

PS: PlayBook needs 1.8 Amps.This is the reason most cell phone chargers won't work.

okader likes this.
    02-17-13 12:19 PM
    Had my Playbook a couple weeks now. Am really disappointed in the absolutely abysmal instructions and customer support. They say it is free for 90 days. So, far that is even too much money. BUT the Playbook itself is purely Outstanding. The price makes it a very good value. I've figured out quite a few things. But, there are several that I haven't a clue. Help?
    -How can I find a file? I downloaded a book. It came in .zip format. I opened it and got the full file name message. But I can't find the book, or the file name. The PB File manager doesn't show it. ??
    -Since the PB will not sych MS Outlook Contacts or Calendars is there a way to synch or move the Contacts and Calendars from my Torch?
    -Is there a way to import Favorites/Bookmarks from either my Windows machine or my Torch?
    -How do I sort the Bookmarks? Right now they are in a Last Used sequence. I would like to categorize them. But sorting would be a great help.
    02-18-13 08:45 PM
    Had my Playbook a couple weeks now. Am really disappointed in the absolutely abysmal instructions and customer support. They say it is free for 90 days. So, far that is even too much money. BUT the Playbook itself is purely Outstanding. The price makes it a very good value. I've figured out quite a few things. But, there are several that I haven't a clue. Help?
    -How can I find a file? I downloaded a book. It came in .zip format. I opened it and got the full file name message. But I can't find the book, or the file name. The PB File manager doesn't show it. ??
    -Since the PB will not sych MS Outlook Contacts or Calendars is there a way to synch or move the Contacts and Calendars from my Torch?
    -Is there a way to import Favorites/Bookmarks from either my Windows machine or my Torch?
    -How do I sort the Bookmarks? Right now they are in a Last Used sequence. I would like to categorize them. But sorting would be a great help.
    1) when you go into file manager, make sure you are clicked on the playbook files & not device files on top...
    2) use the bridge function for this,,, download it from app world...
    3) i don't know but i think not...
    4)this is an issue we've all had something to say about,,, best thing to do is delete all (keep a list) & visit them in the order you want them to be in on you bookmarks page...
    02-18-13 10:16 PM
    1) when you go into file manager, make sure you are clicked on the playbook files & not device files on top...
    2) use the bridge function for this,,, download it from app world...
    3) i don't know but i think not...
    4)this is an issue we've all had something to say about,,, best thing to do is delete all (keep a list) & visit them in the order you want them to be in on you bookmarks page...
    1)There is no option for any other files than those in the Playbook. The output file does not appear there. Apparently there is an Output folder somewhere that contains the output file. Where and how do I find it?
    2)Bridge comes with 2.x. It will let me use the Contacts and Calendar in the Torch. They remain there while used. What I want is for them to be somewhere in the PB so it can be used independently.
    3 & 4)Guess that is one of the holes in BB attempt to be more customer friendly. Couldn't imagine anyone would make a browser like that in today's day and age.
    02-18-13 11:23 PM
    1)There is no option for any other files than those in the Playbook.
    Air Browser will show more folders and remains quite simple to use.
    Ghost Commander is more complex, excellent and straight forward to use. It allows you to navigate around your Playbook, and even your PC if you are networked, ie via wifi, so pretty useful.

Both of these are free downloads from Blackberry World
    02-19-13 09:26 AM
    Thanks for the tips. I've downloaded and tried both. Guess I don't know how to use them because they are very slow and awkward. But I'm hoping speed and utility will come with practice.
    02-20-13 01:24 AM
    If you're willing to spend $3 (and there is a free trial version you can check out before you have to), give Files and Folders a shot. It's more like a typical Windows style file manager and works pretty quick. Nothing wrong with the other free programs, but I prefer the Files and Folders user interface.
    02-21-13 08:18 PM
    hi there could you please help me, while moving some icons i lost google and you tube icon on playbook, how i can retrieve it. thanks
    03-22-13 03:24 PM
    Download. Them again
    anon(8719892) likes this.
    03-23-13 09:18 PM
    how do you keep the screen from going black. When i have certain apps up i would like the screen to stay litm Indo not see anything in the screen settings that would set the screen never to sleep.

thanks
    _______

The solution is quite simple: I just tap anywhere on the screen and it lights up again. Of course it will go dark again if you do not operate any key (like swishing) but you just keep on tapping just once to keep it lighted. No big deal.
    04-09-13 11:43 PM
    I use mine all the time with no issues.
    04-10-13 04:47 PM
365 ... 12131415