hmm, well i guess i have an early model since my power button is also flush. i also thought i got a defective model for the following reason: when i got it out of the box it booted fine but when it told me to plug it in to download the latest update, after a few minutes it went to black and i couldn't wake it up no matter where i touched it. i then unplugged the power and plugged it back and it came to life again. it happened twice during the update...not sure if this was just standby mode but i thought it would wake up just by touching it which it didn't.

after reading the forums further i'm realizing that swiping your finger diagonally tends to wake it up from standby mode. i wish there were some basic instructions that came with it so we would know what to expect when we take it out of the box.
    When you first start it and update it there is a choice or maybe you even have to do it a short tutorial on swipes. Don't remember if it shows waking it up.
    Willard814 likes this.
    11-21-11 07:23 PM
    Dont forget the installed apps.

i had my pb 7 months before looking at NFB (national film board).

Totally amazing. look at the Animations.

have kids 5 - 7? look at Leon Appoline. interactive

Get used to bridging if you dont have wifi available.

amazing device
    jafobabe, Willard814 and Cracklen like this.
    11-21-11 07:23 PM
    There is a beta developer OS that you can download and use.

WARNING: This is a developer Beta OS to be used for just that. Install at your own risk and please backup first and only install if you like tinkering and exploring and excepting some things will not work or work right and things will be missing.
    Firefighter0793 likes this.
    11-21-11 07:32 PM
    Amazon instant video works flawlessly on the Playbook and looks amazing on the screen. Also, most major networks' websites that allow you to stream full episodes will also work without a hitch.

****HUGE NOTE**** CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF, YOU DO NOT NEED APPS TO DO THIS. THIS IS ALL ACCOMPLISHED THROUGH THE BROWSER JUST LIKE ON YOUR DESKTOP/LAPTOP.

Exceptions: hulu will not work through the browser and neither will netflix

(please let me know of any other streaming sources I can add to help people out)
    Cracklen and snapperhead23 like this.
    11-22-11 06:19 PM
    Just keep adding stuff here at the bottom folks and I am feverishly wicking to the top and asking posters then by PM to delete the posts while I do my time in crackberry rehab...trying to get this done before lack friday if there are any playbooks left!

Reminder:

Dont get into things that are not so important to newbies just trying to keep the most essential non-obvious stuff in here...
    there is another tips and tricks section for detailed stuff

Like for example I just noticed there are people in the apps and games section that still believe you can't pipe out audio to your big screen ...because default is disabled state I guess

stuff like that

Thank you!
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-22-11 at 06:44 PM.
    mloucks, mloucks and Cracklen like this.
    11-22-11 06:41 PM
    Subscribed... though I would like to know what else to look for in terms of defects that might not be easily recognizable at first other than dead/stuck pixels and an excessively bulging back.
    11-22-11 07:08 PM
    Subscribed... though I would like to know what else to look for in terms of defects that might not be easily recognizable at first other than dead/stuck pixels and an excessively bulging back.
    I think there's also the power button thing. I read somewhere in the RFD thread where the power button can be hard to press?
    quattrojames likes this.
    11-22-11 07:12 PM
    I think there's also the power button thing. I read somewhere in the RFD thread where the power button can be hard to press?
    RFD thread?
    11-22-11 07:14 PM
    In addition to what kmcobra64 have posted about using the Vol up and vol down buttons to capture screen ... I have since used this extensively to capture the cropped and refined pictures that I have on my PB i.e I'll enlarge the pic and move it around on the screen and then capture exactly the preferred image i would like to keep on my PB and show it off on this brilliant screen!
    CDM76, JustLukin and djmm2 like this.
    11-22-11 08:50 PM
    The only time I have seen my LED light up was red when I rebooted it. I don't see it at all, green or otherwise while charging. Is that normal?
    Yep its normal I edited the LED section to say so... thanks for the question you can delete the post if you would - I'm working on cleaning up ..thanks!
    11-22-11 09:02 PM
    I'll clean up above, in a bit.

Maybe a gps tip. It generally will not work indoors. As a first test, download the FREE Compass app. Go to an open area without buildings, if possible, give it a good 15-20 minutes. Move it away from your body a bit. (The compass app does not provide much in utility but is a good app to test the gps).

More specifics: gps' need a good view of the sky. A gps which has been off for a while (days or week or more) or moved a longer distance will take a longer time to get a satellite lock. Once it gets a lock, it can hold it inside of a moving car. I can get a lock in the upstairs of my wood-framed, shingle-roofed home. I cannot get one downstairs.
    11-22-11 09:20 PM
    In addition to what kmcobra64 have posted about using the Vol up and vol down buttons to capture screen ... I have since used this extensively to capture the cropped and refined pictures that I have on my PB i.e I'll enlarge the pic and move it around on the screen and then capture exactly the preferred image i would like to keep on my PB and show it off on this brilliant screen!
    That's a good tip - now that I think of it - I do the same with web pages for a quick capture of something important that I want to save even flash videos- zoom and clip only what you need, take a still of a video-- The screen capture is an underrated feature.
    djmm2 likes this.
    11-22-11 11:48 PM
    Thanks Blackjack! As a brand new happy Playbook user, these tips really have been useful. It took me almost no time at all to get it set up and customized the way I want it. I thought it would take me a lot longer-not being very tech-y and all-but with the help of people like you and others here on "The Crack" -you all are teaching me the ropes! So thanks again!
    11-23-11 07:36 AM
    IN PROGRESS SUGGESTIONS PLEASE ...quirks in app world?, ignore the books etc....
    dispell android myths...

First App Suggestions. - thanks Jerbru

I had my pb 7 months before looking at NFB (national film board).
    Totally amazing. Look at the Animations.
    have kids 5 - 7? look at Leon Appoline. Interactive
    Get used to bridging if you don't have wifi available.

Amazing device!

Blackjack's fav fun apps:

Blackjack (of course)
    Piano
    Drums
    Bubble level
    Playbook Chess
    PHONE REMOTE! (see and control your BB phone from playbook)
    MODERN COMBAT
    DEAD SPACE
    Barry Black will crack you up!
    Thanks for these suggestions - and this thread. I would add BeJeweled to the list of apps - it is absolutely amazing and even more addictive on the Playbook.
    stevemac22 likes this.
    11-23-11 09:09 AM
    Thanks for these suggestions - and this thread. I would add BeJeweled to the list of apps - it is absolutely amazing and even more addictive on the Playbook.
    Thanks I will - and happy you find it helpful.

If anyone else does please request that the mods stick it - I already did but no response yet I'm having trouble getting it to stick....
    11-23-11 11:47 AM
    Thanks I will - and happy you find it helpful.

If anyone else does please request that the mods stick it - I already did but no response yet I'm having trouble getting it to stick....
    Now that's not very nice.

I do believe Rich responded to you already.
    Willard814 likes this.
    11-23-11 12:35 PM
    Now that's not very nice.

I do believe Rich responded to you already.
    Actually no he hasn't' but I'm sure he intended to - I know you guys are busy and getting busier it seems!

Thanks so much glad the work was not in vain. You guys are awesome, didn't mean anything by the comment.
    And if you have any suggestions - suggested edits - please let me know.

This will keep me busy and away from the forums causing trouble maybe
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-23-11 at 12:42 PM.
    doxa sub750T likes this.
    11-23-11 12:40 PM
    Just note that when BlackBerry Bridge is enabled, Screen Capture does not work!
    Willard814 and bruteforce037 like this.
    11-23-11 05:24 PM
    I've just tested this again on my PB with bridge function enabled and then disabled and the screen capture function works on mine.
    I've come to realised that since getting this 16G PB ; I should have instead forked out another $100 for the 32G instead. This PB is certainly providing me with excellent multimedia usage on the go ..i.e for music, movies, video, books and handy enough to carry around everywhere. Its speakers are one of the best too ..
    So if you can afford the extra $50 to $100 esp with this current firesale ..definitely go for the 32G or 64G and you will not be disappointed esp when the OS 2.0 is out and android apps coming down the pipe!
    CDM76 likes this.
    11-23-11 09:52 PM
    I'll clean up above, in a bit.

Maybe a gps tip. It generally will not work indoors. As a first test, download the FREE Compass app. Go to an open area without buildings, if possible, give it a good 15-20 minutes. Move it away from your body a bit. (The compass app does not provide much in utility but is a good app to test the gps).

More specifics: gps' need a good view of the sky. A gps which has been off for a while (days or week or more) or moved a longer distance will take a longer time to get a satellite lock. Once it gets a lock, it can hold it inside of a moving car. I can get a lock in the upstairs of my wood-framed, shingle-roofed home. I cannot get one downstairs.
    Got this one F2 thanks...
    maledyris and rickpeddler like this.
    11-23-11 11:29 PM
    Got this one - posted it above - thanks susu please remove it when you have a chance ..
    11-23-11 11:42 PM
    I am not sure where you would put this but it's a newbie tip I saw somewhere in this forum and tried myself... if you want to group all your downloads/app icons on the PB, on the Home screen press the app icon for a few seconds and drag it to a tab (e.g. Favourites, Games, Media etc). A copy of the icon will then move to the tab you select. You will still have all the icons in "All" on the main screen but it means you don't necessarily have to scroll down the screen to find them (if you've downloaded a lot of apps the screen, though beautiful will need much more scrolling . Moving the icons to tabs is a neat way to organize them.
    It isn't obvious you can do this (I had no clue until I just happened to come across it in the forum and hadn't seen it anywhere) and I think it should go in these great newbie tips!
    Good one! I forgot about that, it's so second nature now..

thanks I will find a place for it - when I do I will leave a post here and you can delete yours if you dont mind - keep em coming as you think of them!

I dont want to get too detailed here, just the stuff that is important but not immediately obvious to newbees..yours is a perfect example.
    11-24-11 03:38 PM
    Add crackberry blogs to your blackberry news feeds. it'll automatically tell you when new stories are up.
    11-24-11 03:44 PM
    Good one! I forgot about that, it's so second nature now..

thanks I will find a place for it - when I do I will leave a post here and you can delete yours if you dont mind - keep em coming as you think of them!

I dont want to get too detailed here, just the stuff that is important but not immediately obvious to newbees..yours is a perfect example.
    No worries, just let me know when and where you've made the update and I'll delete my post so it isn't duplicated.
    Lhendr likes this.
    11-24-11 03:53 PM
    It is really a great and amazing post. i really like this post. Keep it up.
    11-26-11 03:35 AM
365 1234 ...