hi all,

like many i picked up a new bb playbook in the sales here in the uk, so far i love it. great for quickly browsing the web however i do have a few dissapointments.

1 - sky tv on the go not been available - find it unbelievable that sky dint support either bb or android devices for sky go. hopefully as more and more people use bb's and androids sky will develop something or move away from silverlight.

2 - kinda linked to the above, but been in the uk means no amazon prime or netflix however do any of the uk users know if any good sites where i can stream movies from (and live sports would b great)

3 - finally kobo seems expensive compared to kindle how can i read kindle books on the playbook

on a separate note i am also due a new phone and as i now have the playbook thinking of a new bb prob the 9850/9860 does anyone have any opinions i currently have an i phone but 90% use this for web browsing. would a 9850 allow me to use the 3g to connect my playbook ?

sorry for all the questions but as i said so far im loving my playbook absolute bargain at 169 �

cheers and thnks in advance for and help on the above

darren
    12-30-11 06:20 AM
    Hi, I don't know anything about sky or streaming in the UK.

Some say the kindle cloud reader works OK but is limited. Others that have the dev beta installed say the android kindle app works well.

I have a 9850 and am posting this with the combo no wifi here to even try to connect to. So yes I'm using my phones 3g to post with my playbook. Also you will get no faster internet than bluetooth can run at.
    12-30-11 06:43 AM
    Thanks kbz1960 I will give the reader a go on some kindle books just to get through to 2.0 don't feel tech enough to use the beta just keep fingers crossed till feb.

Hopefully some one else will b along to help with streaming in the uk

Also any advice on what you think about the 9850/60 working with the playbook

Thanks again in advance
    12-30-11 10:00 AM
    Welcome. I think the combo is great and works much better than my tour pb combo did.

If my carrier had the bold touch I probably would've gotten that since I have the pb for the larger screen but so far I'm happy with my 9850. Just hard for me to get use to the virtual keyboard on it.
    12-30-11 10:10 AM
    Sky isn't available on anything but iOS so far although an Android App is in the works.
    Sky use Silverlight on their webpage for streaming so the PB browser won't support it.

For football, I use LiveOnlineFooty.com

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    12-30-11 10:52 AM
    My suggestion for a phone would be one with a keyboard, since you have the Playbook when you need a big screen for web surfing. I have both the 9900 and a 9810. They both are great phones, fast and work great with the Playbook. The 9900 has the best keyboard, the 9810 the best screen. If you can live with the slightly smaller 9810 keyboard, it might be a good compromise for a larger screen.

One thing to keep in mind with the 9810 is the slider phones do not work well with third party cases, since the case part that goes on the screen part tends to fall off. Case less or used in a holster or slip case it is fine. It is just the hard cases such as an Otterbox that really don't work well on the 9810.
    12-30-11 11:02 AM
    Thanks for the responses

As OP has anyone any suggested movie streaming/downloading sites, my initial thought was LoveFilm although looks like this may also be moving to silverlight in the near future. Shame that Amazon dont offer their movie rental services directly through Amazon Prime in the UK and chose to use LoveFilm.

(dare i say)
    but would like to discover something similar to the itunes finctionallity for video for Blackberry, i.e. log on select movies, download and watch or sttream and watch.

Again kinda demosnstrating a gap in the market here, does not appear as if RIM,Google,MS are showing enough of a appetite to take on the iTunes (apple) big boy. Why dont RIM develop their appworld to offer movies, surely this would be extremely cheap for RIM to do and with such a fantastic display a real draw for the Pbook.
    12-30-11 02:35 PM
    Thanks for the responses

As OP has anyone any suggested movie streaming/downloading sites, my initial thought was LoveFilm although looks like this may also be moving to silverlight in the near future. Shame that Amazon dont offer their movie rental services directly through Amazon Prime in the UK and chose to use LoveFilm.

(dare i say)
    but would like to discover something similar to the itunes finctionallity for video for Blackberry, i.e. log on select movies, download and watch or sttream and watch.

Again kinda demosnstrating a gap in the market here, does not appear as if RIM,Google,MS are showing enough of a appetite to take on the iTunes (apple) big boy. Why dont RIM develop their appworld to offer movies, surely this would be extremely cheap for RIM to do and with such a fantastic display a real draw for the Pbook.
    The only organisation that I think can challenge properly from a media perspective is Amazon, their Kindle Fire is their first attempt at bringing together Music, Video and Books into one device and selling their ecosystem to end users.
    I'd like to see Amazon Prime in the UK and I'd like to see RIM sign some sort of agreement with Amazon to get some of that content on the Playbook - not as far fetched as it sounds if the reports about RIM and Amazon "discussing potential agreements" in the wake of Amazons consideration of a takeover of RIM.

As for LoveFilm sadly its moving over to Silverlight early in 2012 as well

12-30-11 02:56 PM
    Thanks for the responses

(dare i say)

Hi Darren, welcome to CB.. I'm not sure if this link might be of any help to you, you might be able to use it to record some of the shows/films you want to watch for a later time.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ut-way-682758/
    12-30-11 02:56 PM
    Darren,

Just noticed you mentioned Kindle as well.

Theres 2 ways of getting Kindle books onto a PB

1. Install the OS 2.0 Beta and you can install the Kindle Android App, this works really well as it should really.
    2. Buy books or already have books from Amazon? Its possible to remove the DRM from them and read them via the Excellent Book Reader App which is 99p from the App World, of course removing DRM from books you've bought isn't strictly legal.....

12-30-11 03:03 PM
    not that i have used such services or recommended using them but i have heard that firstrowsports.tv is good for streaming football games and letmewatchthis.com (might not be .com) is great for movies.
    darren1981 likes this.
    12-30-11 03:15 PM
    Thanks for the futher help (esp Helenski)

As said I am happy to pay for movies and TV Shows etc, just would like an relatively easier way to do this then have to use i tunes and convert the files.

How do android users get movies or is it literally a one player market with Apple ruling.

I am really pinning quite a lot on the OS 2.0 ultimatley leading to full overlap with android as I think Android seems to be the only viable challenger at the minute (speaking from UK perspective)

Also heard that Silverlight may be getting dropped by MS in the future which may be beneficial to us PB users.
    12-30-11 04:23 PM
    Thanks for the responses

(dare i say)

I believe RIM is working on that.
    12-30-11 06:42 PM
    Thanks for the futher help (esp Helenski)

As said I am happy to pay for movies and TV Shows etc, just would like an relatively easier way to do this then have to use i tunes and convert the files.

How do android users get movies or is it literally a one player market with Apple ruling.

I am really pinning quite a lot on the OS 2.0 ultimatley leading to full overlap with android as I think Android seems to be the only viable challenger at the minute (speaking from UK perspective)

Also heard that Silverlight may be getting dropped by MS in the future which may be beneficial to us PB users.
    Regarding the kindle cloud reader, it does work, the only catch is that it will only work in portrait mode. As far as movies, it is shame you cant get amazon vod cause it works great on the PB. Have you tried crackle.com?
    12-30-11 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD