hey guys, I just gott my playbook last week and thought to get some apps. I've been reading in the forums that the pb needs to be rooted. I'm guessing that os 2.1.1088 can't be rooted? I wanted to install a coyple of bar files like emulators and textplus plus, but I couldn't or when they installed, they woulsnt open. last question: how come I can't download the TD app from app world?? anyhelo would be great
    12-17-12 10:31 AM
    You don't need to root your PlayBook to sideload apps. To sideload, you need to enable Developer Mode in Settings and then use a desktop app such as DDPB or the Chrome Browser plug-in to sideload .bar files that have been converted for .apk (android) files. Not all converted .bar files will work, mind you. I've gotten many emulators to work on my PlayBook, the PlayStation and NES64 are the two that I am currently running. I've also sideloaded textplus on my PB without issue.

Which TD app are you referring to in App World? I don't think I've seen a TD app for the PlayBook in App World.

Finally, rooting was disabled by RIM with the release of PB OS2.0 so unless you have an original PB still running 1.7 or newer, I don't think you can root.
    branks_r likes this.
    12-17-12 10:43 AM
    There's a td ameritrade app that can be sideloaded, head over to to the ask koz thread in sideloading for link to his download sites where you can find it.
    12-17-12 10:49 AM
    i have Developer Mode on and i tried using DDPB but when i installed the vga (or whatever the gba emulator is called) it just kept closing. the TD banking app. it says on app world that my account isnt qualified or something. can you send me the textplus app link?
    12-17-12 12:54 PM
    Where did you get the app from? Just because a sideloaded app installs doesn't mean it will work.
    12-17-12 02:39 PM
    Goodereader has the textplus app here:

http://goodereader.com/apps/playbook...al-media-apps/
    branks_r likes this.
    12-17-12 03:50 PM
    There is a TD banking app for BlackBerry phones in app world, there is not a TD app for the playbook. You can access the tdcanadatrust website from your playbook browser for banking.

If you want the stock trading app tdameritrade, you can sideload it.
    12-17-12 04:26 PM
    Is it something I do wrong.... When I try searching on Goodereader, I get a series of NOT founds in various categories rather then a direct hit to the app I am searching for.
    12-17-12 04:48 PM
    Is it something I do wrong.... When I try searching on Goodereader, I get a series of NOT founds in various categories rather then a direct hit to the app I am searching for.
    Go to the all playbook apps link in koz's signature and let it load completely then do a search on that page using browser find.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-17-12 05:16 PM
    if you click on the link in the post above yours, it should be the 4th or 5th icon down on the left column.
    12-17-12 09:05 PM
    ahh that would explain why it wasn't working.
    12-18-12 07:54 AM
    so how come someone can't download the bar filles from their playbook and just installl thrm?
    12-18-12 07:56 AM
    so how come someone can't download the bar filles from their playbook and just installl thrm?
    Rim has made that more difficult. There is something called "localbar" which can kind-of do it.
    12-18-12 08:47 AM
    I may be wrong but I thought Rim had encrypted app world bar files to prevent piracy. Also according to the last few posts on localbar thread it doesn't seem to be working at the moment so that leaves the chrome method or ddpb to sideload, and those only for converted android apps.
    12-18-12 09:12 AM
    well..i got all the apps on my pb to work, except the gba emulator. its keeps closing when i open it. any suggestions?
    12-18-12 01:15 PM