Hello all.
    I have just acquired my PlayBook for Christmas and am TOTALLY new to tablet computing.

I have installed "BlackBerry Desktop Software" on my Mac but it will only see media I have stored in iTunes. And it will only allow me to select Artists, Playlists and Genres. Not albums or anything else.
    Also there are movies on my hard drive that I want to transfer over. These are not on iTunes. Is there a way to get them onto the device without using "BlackBerry Desktop Software."?
    When I try to get into the PlayBook via Finder it won't let me.

I realise that you must get a million of theses type of questions for newbies. I thank you for your patience.
    12-25-13 02:10 PM
    Hello all.
    I have just acquired my PlayBook for Christmas and am TOTALLY new to tablet computing.

I have installed "BlackBerry Desktop Software" on my Mac but it will only see media I have stored in iTunes. And it will only allow me to select Artists, Playlists and Genres. Not albums or anything else.
    Also there are movies on my hard drive that I want to transfer over. These are not on iTunes. Is there a way to get them onto the device without using "BlackBerry Desktop Software."?
    When I try to get into the PlayBook via Finder it won't let me.

I realise that you must get a million of theses type of questions for newbies. I thank you for your patience.
    Firstly welcome to the forum. My advice would be to download Link from the BB site. Desktop is a little iffy to say the least. You can also transfer files and folders from your pc directly once it's connected by USB if you prefer.

Happy Christmas........

Newbie help.-animated-merry-christmas-clip-artseasonchristmascom-merry-christmas-animated-gifs-christmas-b6x.jpg
    frank-zappa likes this.
    12-25-13 02:16 PM
    I've used this also.
    You may want to bookmark this site it has tons of info too.

KB26068-How to transfer files to and from the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and BlackBerry 10 smartphone
    sad_old_man and frank-zappa like this.
    12-25-13 02:24 PM
    I use the wifi explore app on my Playbook so that I can transfer files over my wifi set up. ITunes was my nightmare so I converted all my video and music files on my iMac with Smart Convert app and they now can play on my Playbook. The BlackBerry Link also works once you are free of ITunes.
    frank-zappa likes this.
    12-25-13 04:44 PM
    Welcome to the forum. For wifi transfer . Tap on the cog on the top left corner. Go to About and under Network look up your IPv4 address. On your Mac under Finder( just click on the screen of your Mac, will appear on top left corner ) Click on Go, Select Connect to Server at the bottom of the list. Type in your IPv4 address(e.g. 192.168.1.106) and click connect. You are going to get cert or media. Just click on the media. There you can drag whatever file you want to the relevant folders. One of the most useful apps I suggest you should get is Kalem Soft media player. It will just play whatever movie files you got. Another must have non native browser is Origami browser, it's faster and less checkered board screen and it's free. Just browse through the forum, there are many helpful tips to maximize your Playbook experience.
    frank-zappa likes this.
    12-25-13 05:02 PM
    Also please grab those Rapid Travel Charger and dock charger from amazon.com. They are very affordable and make your playbook so much easier to manage.
    frank-zappa likes this.
    12-25-13 05:36 PM
    Thanks all.
    Much appreciated.
    12-25-13 07:33 PM
    "My advice would be to download Link from the BB site"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	animated-merry-christmas-clip-artseasonchristmascom-merry-christmas--animated-gifs-christmas-b6x.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	233328[/QUOTE]

I'm having trouble finding Link.
    12-25-13 07:36 PM
    DO NOT use bblink for the playbook!!! you will lose data when doing a restore!!! stick w/ desk top manager,,, also you can drag & drop your movies & also the following thread is very useful...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-wi-fi-661022/
    frank-zappa likes this.
    12-25-13 08:15 PM
    you should be able to map the PB in the same way you can with windows then copy directly into the music and video folders, for installing sideloads then the google chrome app is probably the best way assuming it works on macs.

in the settings menu the about page should give you the IP address of the PB, then drop down a few to security and turn on wifi file sharing.
    frank-zappa likes this.
    12-26-13 08:59 PM
    I just want to thank you all for your help.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-28-13 12:07 PM
    get it sorted out??? mapping the playbook is indispensable,,, wifi transfer can't be beat...
    12-28-13 03:30 PM
    I have not mastered the wifi yet, but have had success with a cable.
    I can get stuff onto my PlayBook now, which suits me well.
    I appreciate all the help offered here.
    12-30-13 02:42 PM