Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BigwhiteUK
  • 1 Post By nicrallred
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default new playbook user

hi,

i bought a playbook 64gb when there was a sale on recently as i was looking for tablet device and the wife has kindle fire hd from christmas and it was amazing however i felt playbook offered alot for the value. cannot believe the price of it to be honest.

anyway i have a bold 9900 and just a great phone so got the playbook.

love it and think it is just a great device. i have a few questions maybe someone can help with.

with my bold 9900 the battery life was terrible then an os update one day took a few hours and battery life great again. my playbook is running i think the latest os but battery life is not as the 10 hours or anywhere like that. i mainly use for browsing the net and reading emails but not really games etc yet so not sure why it would be so low?

next question is will blackberry 10 be able to go onto the playbook i have and what price would this update be?

and finally can anyone recommend an app for streaming between my phone or laptop music etc as i tried file manager free one but cannot see any other devices. on one of the apps i can see my phone device card but cannot copy and paste music from playbook onto it. for now i am emailing a music file one at a time but i have movies on my laptop i would like to put on my playbook so any app out there?

thats all for now.

thanks
    Thanked by:
    BigwhiteUK (01-14-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,236 Global Posts
    PIN
    24CA5D48 PB pin 502763C8

Have you enabled file sharing, lots of tutorials on here, you will be able to share files via wifi between playbook and laptop. If you want to stream media try Orb, again there is an excellent thread on this. It is said that OS 10 will come to the playbook, sometime after it is released ! Hopefully it will be free.
    9300, 9900, Z10, Z30 . PlayBook 64GB. Nexus 7 v2 Kit Kat
    buckwylder likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    27EE1588

They (RIM) have stated how BlackBerry 10 will come to the PlayBook and there was also mention of it being a free upgrade as well. So, unless RIM's business calls for something different, we should be able to have BB10 on the current PlayBooks.

I personally, store all my media on a Seagate Goflex Satellite - it is a wireless, rechargable, 500GB hard drive. Works great for streaming content you already own and wish to store on the device. Works through the browser perfectly - or - you can sideload the goflex media android app to the PlayBook and it works fine. You can also purchase custom firmware for the device to enable many features like NAS, etc...

I also use dropbox to share files between devices. Other than that, BigWhiteUK's suggestion is cool too. Have fun, enjoy your PlayBook.
    -------------------------------------
    why did my signature disappear?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Welcome to our family!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    12,537 Global Posts

Welcome to Crackberry, loads of info to be found on these hollowed pages . Congrats on your new PlayBook......ENJOY!!
    CrackBerry User

Hello,

i don't want to open a new thread so i using this one if its okay
    I consider to buy a BB Playbook because i like the size and the design of the Playbook.
    Further i am impressed by the build quality and the used materials - the OS looks also very 'stylish'.

But before i order the Playbook i need to make some things clear:
    - Fist of all is the Playbook usable as a PDF-Reader? In terms of readability (display and so on)
    - Is there a good native YouTube App available? In the app World or is it already installed on the Playbook?
    - I want to use the Playbook to read PDFs for my upcoming certification. The PDFs have a file size of roundabout ~ 45Mb containing text, images and tables. Can the Playbook handle such PDFs files? Especially the file size?
    - Does the facebook app run well on the Blackberry Playbook? Especially in focus of the 'Facebook Messenger'?
    - Is there a news app available? I need an app which allows me to read german news.
    - Is there a good DropBox app available? I've read about an 'selfmade' DropBox app.
    Last edited by dwosch; 01-15-2013 at 03:39 AM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,236 Global Posts
    PIN
    24CA5D48 PB pin 502763C8

Hello and welcome. I dont use YouTube, however there is a native app and several from app store available. The native Adobe Reader is a basic reader, personally I use qPDF Notes, a bought app that will do what you want. The native facebook app meets my needs, and has a chat feature, though Ive never used it. Again there are several free and paid apps that will do what you want. Not too sure about Geman news reader, but im sure there are apps that will do that. Regarding your last query I use Files and Folders, a paid app which handles Cloud services very well.
    I would suggest you search each individual app here in the forums, lots of good advice and help here
    Thanked by:
    dwosch (01-15-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by BigwhiteUK View Post
    Hello and welcome. I dont use YouTube, however there is a native app and several from app store available. The native Adobe Reader is a basic reader, personally I use qPDF Notes, a bought app that will do what you want. The native facebook app meets my needs, and has a chat feature, though Ive never used it. Again there are several free and paid apps that will do what you want. Not too sure about Geman news reader, but im sure there are apps that will do that. Regarding your last query I use Files and Folders, a paid app which handles Cloud services very well.
    I would suggest you search each individual app here in the forums, lots of good advice and help here
    Thanks for your reply so far .
    Sounds good so far. About the "payable apps" - when i log in with my blackberry id at the blackberry website, i can't find any options to select which payment method i would like to use. Is this only configurable over the app world app on the playbook?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,236 Global Posts
    PIN
    24CA5D48 PB pin 502763C8

Is that with PC? Works fine on the PB. Ive just logged on with PC and it gives a payment option, top right handside
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by BigwhiteUK View Post
    Is that with PC? Works fine on the PB
    Yes, i logged in using my pc and the chrome browser. The only thing i can change are my personal settings (Name, email and so on).

Regarding your post
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playbook-apps-games-f243/
    should be the right address for that.

Further, can you say something about
    - Fist of all is the Playbook usable as a PDF-Reader? In terms of readability (display and so on)
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,236 Global Posts
    PIN
    24CA5D48 PB pin 502763C8

The native adobe reader is a basic reader, nothing fancy, no frills. Clear, good for charts.... does what is says on the box

There are 2 variants of qPDF...... qPDF Viewer, which is a pdf reader, and is free
    Item Description
    qPDF Viewer is a free, fast, and powerful PDF Reader.

Want to do more with PDFs? Qoppa's PDF editing/annotating app, qPDF Notes, is on sale and available on the App World at: Buy qPDF Notes - PDF Reader Annotator Form Filler - Download qPDF Notes - PDF Reader Annotator Form Filler - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    New! Text reflow mode

PDF Viewing
    ˒ Text reflow mode
    ˒ Fast, high fidelity rendering of PDF documents
    ˒ Search results highlighted on screen

Bookmarks and Comments
    ˒ Remembers your last page
    ˒ Add personal bookmarks
    ˒ Navigate with document outline
    ˒ See list of all comments/annotations

Navigation
    ˒ New View menu to quickly adjust zoom and go to pages
    ˒ Multi-touch pinch to zoom; double tap to fit to width
    ˒ Continuous page view for easy reading

Other advanced features
    ˒ Browse files by directory
    ˒ Opens encrypted/password-protected PDFs
    ˒ Validates digital signatures

and qPDF Notes, which is paid

full description here Buy qPDF Notes - PDF Reader Annotator Form Filler - Download qPDF Notes - PDF Reader Annotator Form Filler - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

I should say both are android ports... a failing on App World for not informing the buyer if an app is an android port or not
    Thanked by:
    dwosch (01-15-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Thank you for the very detailed reply.
    For the moment, reading PDF is enough.

So i think i'll give the Playbook a try.
    Thank you!

Further i'll go through some threads in this very active forum and get some tips and tricks
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,236 Global Posts
    PIN
    24CA5D48 PB pin 502763C8

Just make sure it fits your needs.... do your research, so important, what it can and cant do
    CrackBerry User

Reading PDF files and surfing through the internet while lying on the couch or in the bed is all i need.
    Okay, also connecting to an exchange server to read / write emails - but i know that this is no problem
    CrackBerry User

Soo.. finally got one and im really happy with it so far (used it 30 minutes )

One question: Is it normal that the playbook is not laying plain on a table? I mean i can whipe it if push it on the left or right side. I hope you know what i mean
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,571 Global Posts

Many PBs don't lie flat on the table... it may be coincidence but I've read more posts from 64GB owners with the problem. On some PBs the silver BB pips at the back stand out more than on other PBs... so it wobbles a little.

I have two PBs... one lies flat, one wobbles. Both PBs have always worked perfectly, so I don't reckon it's a cause for worry.

I put the wobbling PB in a RIM case and it is now protected and doesn't wobble anymore.
    Proud Member of the PlayBook Beta Test Team (Since June 2011)

Thanked by:
    dwosch (01-15-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by JeepBB View Post
    Many PBs don't lie flat on the table... it may be coincidence but I've read more posts from 64GB owners with the problem. On some PBs the silver BB pips at the back stand out more than on other PBs... so it wobbles a little.

I have two PBs... one lies flat, one wobbles. Both PBs have always worked perfectly, so I don't reckon it's a cause for worry.

I put the wobbling PB in a RIM case and it is now protected and doesn't wobble anymore.
    Hehe, i don't worry. I was just wondering - and yea wobble seems to be the right word for that.
    I also have bought a journal case for the playbook so the "problem" only happend once

Thanks for the reply

There's a wobble thread (g). One guy used a hair dryer to heat and then pushed it flat and it never returned. But cases can also deal with it.
    Thanked by:
    dwosch (01-16-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

plug your PB into your laptop and drag and drop movies into videos on PB and music and such. I just dragged and dropped 3000 photos onto mine
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    There's a wobble thread (g). One guy used a hair dryer to heat and then pushed it flat and it never returned. But cases can also deal with it.
    The procedure is unnecessary for me because the 'wobble' is not really annoying since the Playbook lays in a BB journal case - now it stopped to wobble .
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

thanks for all the help. i will try checking streaming out with orb. i personally think it is a great device. value for money so much better than ipad or anything else. my mrs has the kindle fire hd which is great for lovefilm etc but playbook just amazing, hope one day they will support silverlight for sites like this.

major plus for me with playbook is flash. i develop sites and alot of times i use flash charts to display data for customers so to present on the playbook is great.

thanks again for the help and great forum. playbook rocks.
    CrackBerry Newbie

My new 64gb is in the mail now I cant wait!! First one.
    dwosch likes this.