Hi guys just thought I would introduce myself!

I come from a complete Apple background Mac, iPad (both versions), iPhone (all versions) etc. you get the picture everything I have at home is Apple. The only Blackberry I have is my work phone which I have on top of my personal iPhone 4S.

Last month I decided to get the Playbook since the price went down to $199 so I said what the heck! Now I do love this 7" form factor the OS is very nice, so much better than Android which I will never buy! Screen is awesome and I think it would be my new travel buddy. So much easier to hold than a 10" it's quite solid to feel, well built for sure. I don't care much for apps but sure would like to see a few more!

Here are some of the things I don't like:
    Touchscreen not as smooth as Apple, I don't know why no body else can do it as well?? I mean can someone give me a reason, it's way smoother than any Android devices I have tried but still not 100% like Apple.
    I find the scrolling on my iPad much smoother don't understand why!
    The playbooks internal YouTube app sucks as it freezes half the time.
    Battery life no way as good as an iPad, in fact I find it a lot less

I am probably going to sell my iPad 2 now as the new one comes out in a few months. If apple does a 7" tablet will I get it, ya, absolutely. For now let's see how much I use the playbook as I am giving it all my time for now.

Would I have got a playbook if apple had a 7" tablet already, never. Also I don't understand why most people bash the playbook as on it's own it's quite a good device, I am surprised!

Just wanted to give my thoughts and hope didn't bore you guys
    doxa sub750T likes this.
    01-06-12 03:40 PM
    Congrats!
    Such posts fill me with enthusiasm. My PB is to be shipped in 1 or 3 days(sunday is courier's off )
    cat3600 likes this.
    01-06-12 03:44 PM
    why would you get a 7" ipad over a playbook? I guess you prefer slightly better scrolling than being able to get flash on the internet. I don't care what apps I can get on an apple, I just better not get screwed out of watching what I want on the internet.
    01-06-12 04:52 PM
    I agree completely about the touch screen being butter smooth on iProduct series. Only other platform I have found to be just as good is WP7.5 Mango.

However, only Apple product I would purchase is MacBook. I feel, iPhone, iPad and iPod are just a slight modifications in term of size and certain key features of one another.

Being a BB user, PB works extremely well for my every day need and use. Apps are no important to me and if RIM eventually releases newer OS to make PB run native e-mail, calendar and BBM, I am more than happy with my investment.

Last but not least, to OP, thanks for sharing your honest personal experience and opinion.

Cheers
    mike4444 likes this.
    01-06-12 05:13 PM
    I obviously need to play more with other devices but other than the occasional checkboarding in the browser, I find the pb's scrolling quite smooth.

Is it the glass' texture or something in the OS that you think accounts for it?
    01-06-12 06:11 PM
    Why are you using the YouTube app? It's terrible. YouTube works great in the PB's browser.
    mike4444 likes this.
    01-06-12 06:40 PM
    Battery life no way as good as an iPad, in fact I find it a lot less
    If you leave it at the default brightness setting, the battery life is not so good.

Try turning it down to more like 25% or so... that will add as much as a couple of hours of use.

See PlayBook: Power Consumption or various threads around here for more on extending your battery life.

It isn't quite as good as an iPad, but it's good enough to give a solid day of use (not with the screen on for that entire time) for most people.
    Hgouck likes this.
    01-06-12 06:55 PM
    youtube app works great for me. What problems are you having?
    01-06-12 08:32 PM
    Hello,
    2nd day with my 32gb PB and I'm very happy with it, although I can't seem to find "Docs To Go" anywhere; could someone help me with this?
    Thank you,
    artie
    01-06-12 09:05 PM
    Hello,
    2nd day with my 32gb PB and I'm very happy with it, although I can't seem to find "Docs To Go" anywhere; could someone help me with this?
    Thank you,
    artie
    On mine it's called Word to Go and it's on the Home Screen right below Bing Maps.

HTH
    artie likes this.
    01-06-12 10:22 PM
    On mine it's called Word to Go and it's on the Home Screen right below Bing Maps.

HTH
    I did a reboot and found them,
    thank you
    01-07-12 10:50 AM
    I obviously need to play more with other devices but other than the occasional checkboarding in the browser, I find the pb's scrolling quite smooth.

Is it the glass' texture or something in the OS that you think accounts for it?
    We have two iPads as well as iphones and ipods in the house and I sincerely disagree. The PB scrolling is just as smooth, if not smoother, than the iPad's. My wife got her PB before Christmas for work and school work, and the scrolling, especially in zoom mode, was one of the several reason she chose to use it over the iPad for work. Various screen protectors will also have an impact on perceived scrolling experiences. Especially the Zaggs, which I like.

I have coworkers that own iPads and they have voiced praise on the UI of our work PB's. To the point that two of them have purchased personal PB's.

FWIW my daughter's iPad doesn't scroll as smoothly as her friends, and it's very evident. I think some pads scroll smoother than others, even within the same models. Particular OS build, apps, memory use etc....... I don't know.
    01-07-12 01:03 PM
    Congrats!
    Such posts fill me with enthusiasm. My PB is to be shipped in 1 or 3 days(sunday is courier's off )
    Don't worry, I've used both, you'll be very happy. Read the forums. The vast majority have no complaints on scrolling. One of the few praises that even bashers and detractors give the PB is it's UI.

Don't forget to read the newbie tips and tricks sticky.
    01-07-12 01:12 PM
    gave up my Macs 15+ years ago as my client base went PC...gave up my own iPhone.v.1 about 5 months ago for my bb 9780...and got my PB32 just 4 weeks ago - yes I'm a Canuck...& await more RIM surprises...but so far I'm a happy camper, eh!!!
    01-07-12 05:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD