Blackberry Playbook Simulator/SDK Beta 0.9.4 added March 14, 2011

BlackBerry - Tablet OS SDK for Adobe AIR Development Resources

There's a table that guides you through everything needed to be installed

SDK Beta 0.9.4 New Features

SDK Beta 0.9.4 Fixed issues
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 03-19-11 at 03:28 PM.
    01-12-11 02:09 PM
    Signed into the Developer Zone, still not letting me download it... All I get is this pop-up continually flashing up then closing itself. I need the Mac version...
    03-19-11 10:57 AM
    Signed into the Developer Zone, still not letting me download it... All I get is this pop-up continually flashing up then closing itself. I need the Mac version...
    Steve Jobs won't let you FLASH anything on a MAC
    chiefqualakon likes this.
    03-19-11 11:05 AM
    Steve Jobs won't let you FLASH anything on a MAC
    Now really isn't the time dude... I'm desperately trying to get the simulator. I've tried everything, even searching for other sources, nothing. Can only get it from BlackBerry, so I sign in like they ask me to when I try to download the simulator, then it enters a refresh cycle without anything about a download, I just CANNOT seem to get it despite what I try, and I need it as I say, so I can TEST the application... I'm after a free PlayBook, but if cant even get the simulator, why would I try to develop anything else for them? If I don't have my app submitted by March 31st because of this, then they've lost a developer...
    03-19-11 11:13 AM
    That's strange. Which browser are you using to download? Have you tried any others? Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.

They have released another version since I posted this and even made the download process easier.

If you go there it will list everything you need in a nice chart depending if you're on a Windows, Mac, or Linux based computer. Good luck and let me know if you need anymore help. I'm no developer but have gotten everything running properly and would love to help.
    03-19-11 11:29 AM
    Urban, used FireFox, Opera, and Safari on Mac... no access to a Windows machine, and can't use IE for Mac as Microsoft pulled the plug on that 8 years ago.
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 03-19-11 at 11:44 AM.
    03-19-11 11:39 AM
    I see. The next thing I would say is make sure if you have a popup blocker on your browser, that you allow popups on that page. That is what will happen when you click the links to download.
    03-19-11 11:59 AM
    Pop-ups have been set to allow as well, in all 3 browsers. Pop-up appeared, closed itself randomly (with nothing at my end telling it to close pop-ups), and then the main page refreshed itself. Could you possibly try and get the Mac version yourself? If you can download the ZIP file, then I'll pass on my email for you to somehow get the file to me.
    03-19-11 12:08 PM
    Sounds good. I'll try megaupload first since I trust that to work more efficiently. That should work. Hang tight.

Edit:

BlackBerryTabletSDK-Air-Installer-0.9.4-Mac-201..zip
    MEGAUPLOAD

BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-Installer-0.9.4-Mac..zip
    MEGAUPLOAD
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 03-19-11 at 01:55 PM.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    03-19-11 12:23 PM
    You sir, are awesome. Now for task 2: Get it into Adobe Device Central or VirtualBox. Will try both the latter first.
    03-19-11 01:58 PM
    You sir, are awesome. Now for task 2: Get it into Adobe Device Central or VirtualBox. Will try both the latter first.
    There are tutorials on how it's done. Good luck! I expect to be using some great apps from you in a month!
    03-19-11 02:07 PM
    There are tutorials on how it's done. Good luck! I expect to be using some great apps from you in a month!
    I only have a simple number guessing game right now. Going to start some BlackBerry smartphone app development over the summer mind, when I get 5 months off uni. Provided I can submit this PB app before March 31st.
    03-19-11 02:14 PM
    Best thread I've seen in a while. Just BB lover helping BB lover. Great work guys. If I had any clue on Macs or SDKs, I'd have helped out myself.
    03-19-11 02:49 PM
    Best thread I've seen in a while. Just BB lover helping BB lover. Great work guys. If I had any clue on Macs or SDKs, I'd have helped out myself.
    Same! I have a Win7 PC and downloaded the Mac one and it let me but there was no Mac around for me to try it out :P Is this the first PlayBook thread this year with no controversy? WOOT
    03-19-11 03:00 PM
    There was a little controversy there dsquared, I use a Jesus Laptop (aka MacBook) (just was much more subtle)

Also, I've figured out what I'm doing. I just need a CD to burn the ISO to load the PB Simulator to my VirtualBox...
    03-19-11 03:15 PM
    There was a little controversy there dsquared, I use a Jesus Laptop (aka MacBook) (just was much more subtle)

Also, I've figured out what I'm doing. I just need a CD to burn the ISO to load the PB Simulator to my VirtualBox...
    Hahaha no controversy. I never say the brand of anything i have unless i have too. I say my car, my phone, my laptop, my boat, my tablet (soon!), etc instead of my BMW, my BlackBerry, my Studio17, my Chaparral, my PlayBook; that way no one pounces on you haha.

But here you had no choice because it was a MacBook related issue with PlayBook's software :P

This thread is controversy free! Yayyyyy
    03-19-11 03:29 PM

You don't need to burn the ISO to a physical CD from my experience. You just load the ISO directly from virtualbox.
    03-19-11 03:30 PM
    You don't need to burn the ISO to a physical CD from my experience. You just load the ISO directly from virtualbox.
    How do I load the ISO directly from VirtualBox?
    03-19-11 03:55 PM
    You know RIM has a whole forum on development issues?...

Tablet OS SDK for Adobe AIR - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Here are the steps to get started...

You need the VMWare player software to load the iso into.
    03-19-11 04:07 PM
    kmbauer, I don't have $50 to spare, I'm using VirtualBox, which I'm told does work, just has some issues. I fathomed it anyhow.
    03-19-11 04:15 PM
    You know RIM has a whole forum on development issues?...

Tablet OS SDK for Adobe AIR - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Here are the steps to get started...

You need the VMWare player software to load the iso into.
    He's right. I'm sorry I meant VMWare player. It will look something like this when loading the iso for a new Virtual Machine (Playbook simulator in this case)

03-19-11 04:18 PM
    Attachment 83178
    Attachment 83179

Using VirtualBox here, and I was able to load the BlackBerry SDK into that as well. It's all looking good, will need to fathom how to load an application into it for testing though.
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 03-19-11 at 04:25 PM.
    03-19-11 04:22 PM
    I am using VMWare and it did not cost anything. Is it $50 on the mac?

kmbauer, I don't have $50 to spare, I'm using VirtualBox, which I'm told does work, just has some issues. I fathomed it anyhow.
    03-19-11 08:37 PM
    I am using VMWare and it did not cost anything. Is it $50 on the mac?
    Mmhmm, there's a VMWare Player for Windows/Linux, but not for Mac. So you have to use the $50 VMWare Fusion instead.
    03-19-11 10:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD