Hey Guys, i am thinking of getting a playbook for my wife. She currently has a Blackberry 9900 so it should pair good.

Basically my question is, since it is WiFi only, if she uses the bridge, can she browse the internet on the Playbook by using her Blackberry's data plan if she is not in a Wifi area?

Thanks
    03-16-12 01:43 PM
    yes, i do it all the time
    03-16-12 01:44 PM
    Hey Guys, i am thinking of getting a playbook for my wife. She currently has a Blackberry 9900 so it should pair good.

Basically my question is, since it is WiFi only, if she uses the bridge, can she browse the internet on the Playbook by using her Blackberry's data plan if she is not in a Wifi area?

Thanks
    Yes, totally free too so if she has unlimited data plan enjoy! In the US hotspotting is extra though depending on your carrier.
    03-16-12 01:50 PM
    I use hotspot all the time. I find it is faster than bridge browsing, but both work well and avoid having an additional wireless account for the playbook.
    03-16-12 01:54 PM
    I use hotspot all the time. I find it is faster than bridge browsing, but both work well and avoid having an additional wireless account for the playbook.
    No doubt, hotspot IS faster. But like I said is an extra 20$/month for me.
    03-16-12 02:03 PM
    I am in Canada and dont pay for tethering. How do i use hotspot with the 9900?
    03-16-12 03:52 PM
    what do you mean by hotspot? When I think of hotspot I'm thinking like a starbucks with free wifi, and how would that cost extra?
    03-16-12 04:07 PM
    With the 7.1 OS upgrade came the ability to hotspot. Is your 9900 running OS5? Hotspot will only work with OS7 and up. I have a Torch 9850.
    Last edited by Blkacesvf41; 03-16-12 at 04:20 PM.
    03-16-12 04:12 PM
    I actually downloaded 7.1 last night but havent installed it yet. So with 7.1, you can do hotspot? i have to install it then. Thanks for the info guys.
    03-16-12 04:19 PM
    Not a problem my friend.
    03-16-12 04:21 PM
    With the 7.1 OS upgrade came the ability to hotspot. Is your 9900 running OS5? Hotspot will only work with OS7 and up. I have a Torch 9850.
    No offense, blkface, but you answered the question "What is hotspotting?" by using the word "hotspotting" in your definition. Your familiarity with the technology probably caused you to not notice that you left off the operative word: Wifi.

Rex, the difference is that Bridge uses Bluetooth to gateway your PB out to the internet through your phone's cell signal, while "hotspotting" refers to the ability to do the same thing over Wifi instead of slow old BT.
    jafobabe likes this.
    03-16-12 05:40 PM
    ^^^^^^
    What cletis said.
    03-16-12 05:44 PM
    I use it bridged through bis (not even an extra data plan) and it still does the job (ok, slow but gets you there on emergencies).

She will surely love the addition of the pb if she likes her 9900! Now if you can tether, well i guess she will not only like it but be THRILLED
    Now, some may tell me off but if she could wait up for april until the news on the "new pb" is more concrete it would be even better imo, since it is supposedly close and maybe you ll have a new pb to consider, but then again maybe you ll have new prices as well...

...buah!Short answer: GET YOUR WIFE A PLAYBOOK
    03-16-12 06:18 PM

Thanks
    Yes. I am always bridged now for this purpose. No extra data plan for the Playbook required.

You just click to use the browser and the Playbook will automatically detect if it has wi-fi or will use the bridge as a backup.

Now thats out of the way, I hope you have looked into the other bridge features!

1. PIM Apps over bridge (tasks, memos, messages, bbm)
    2. If someone calls while you are bridged their name and number pops up on the playbook
    3. "Open-On" just go to menu on your bb and select open on to open it on the playbook
    4. Remote Control, use the bold as a mouse and keyboard to control the playbook [/LIST]
    03-16-12 06:25 PM
    No offense, blkface, but you answered the question "What is hotspotting?" by using the word "hotspotting" in your definition. Your familiarity with the technology probably caused you to not notice that you left off the operative word: Wifi.

Rex, the difference is that Bridge uses Bluetooth to gateway your PB out to the internet through your phone's cell signal, while "hotspotting" refers to the ability to do the same thing over Wifi instead of slow old BT.
    In this entire thread I just don't see anyone asking the question "what's hotspotting", or asking what's the difference between bridge and hotspot/tethering or whatever is. I may not be a tech genius, but I do know how "hotspotting" works and what the BT limitations are when it comes to bridge/tethering. I was simply pointing out that third option.
    03-16-12 06:35 PM

Thanks
    OT but I own a 2004 WRX also. Cobb stage 2.
    03-16-12 07:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD