Hey all, I picked up a new 16GB Playbook yesterday at a local retailer here in Georgia for $ 199.00. I have been looking into a new 7" tablet for the last several weeks and have entertained the Nook, Fire and Playbook. I have been a Blackberry user for the last 8 years as well as a iPhone user ( 3GS ). I have an original iPad and after the iOS5 update have been having issues with apps crashing ( not just 3rd party but Safari as well ). The crashes are not very common but enough to be somewhat aggrivating, well I unboxed my new Playbook and was impressed with the packaging and quality feel of the device. I turned it on and connected to my WiFi and after two attempts 2.0.079 was up and running. I am very impressed with all aspects of this tablet and really cant understand all the bad mouthing regarding this quality piece of hardware. I'm not a huge App user and have to admit almost all of my App purchases where on a whim and never really used them. Likes......Native e-mail, contacts and kick browser speed as well as a super responsive O.S. Dislikes???? No Bloomberg Oh well thats my take from a iPad user which has been given to my 11 year old to play games on, Rock on RIM and thanks for the update ( I would have never condidered this without the e-mail, ect. )!!! Best regards to all from the deep south!

Ed
    Last edited by EdwardC; 02-24-12 at 03:07 PM.
    02-24-12 02:55 PM
    I just do search with the browser ie:bloomburg and bookmark it dont need a APP. Enjoy and give it time.
    02-24-12 03:00 PM
    Good choice! I just bought mine yesterday too, as an early birthday present. I've wanted one since the original release, but the price+OS2 was the clincher.

So far side-loaded 2 apps )Kindle and Gmaps), and I'm really impressed.

Harryl
    02-24-12 03:05 PM
    Welcome to Playbook world hope you'll enjoy the device
    02-24-12 03:07 PM
    My initial thought is that I hate it. WTF does this device first have to connect to the Internet using WiFi to display some license agreements to get to a somewhat usable state. Right out of the box it's a very expensive brick if you're not somewhere within reach of the holy Internet. Insane; that's why I hate cloud services too - no connection - nothing goes.
    02-24-12 03:24 PM
    Good choice. I think you will find that the PB is a fantastic piece of kit. I have enjoyed mine since last april and now with os2 it is even better. I do recommend that you get a good file management app like File & Folders.
    ericrangel76 likes this.
    02-24-12 03:28 PM
    My initial thought is that I hate it. WTF does this device first have to connect to the Internet using WiFi to display some license agreements to get to a somewhat usable state. Right out of the box it's a very expensive brick if you're not somewhere within reach of the holy Internet. Insane; that's why I hate cloud services too - no connection - nothing goes.
    lmao...

You don't have wireless internet in your home? Why do you have/need a tablet?
    02-24-12 03:30 PM
    I don't think it's unreasonable at all. Considering the device is primarily for consumption of wireless data - e-mail, appworld, web browsing, etc.

It also ensures the consumer is presented with the latest OS/fixes before using the device.
    TinRobot likes this.
    02-24-12 03:33 PM
    I DO think it's unreasonable. Right now I have excelent 3G connection on my BB. Cannot get a router with WiFi to put my SIM in. So... Cannot use my playbook, because it needs the WiFi first. It has everything onboard to start working, of course I'll check for updates when I'm back in civilization, but leave the choice to ME.
    02-24-12 04:47 PM
    I DO think it's unreasonable. Right now I have excelent 3G connection on my BB. Cannot get a router with WiFi to put my SIM in. So... Cannot use my playbook, because it needs the WiFi first. It has everything onboard to start working, of course I'll check for updates when I'm back in civilization, but leave the choice to ME.
    Just hit a hotspot, do all the inicial setup stuff then bridge with your excelent bb 3g connection and voila! Free wireless connection on your playbook.
    02-24-12 05:01 PM
    Yes, i have to admit the playbook is a great choice not only in price but in portabilty! Its insane how easy it is to travel with. The new OS is great and i know RIM will get better with APPS as well as other thing. The only real gripe i have is NO NETFLIX! Ive said this before and will keep saying it untill it arrives lol. I am a BB smartphone user so im very HAPPY with my Purchasing the Playbook, it complaments each other very well!! Have Fun Yall ;-)
    02-24-12 05:03 PM
    Just hit a hotspot, do all the inicial setup stuff then bridge with your excelent bb 3g connection and voila! Free wireless connection on your playbook.
    Ok, where I am they DO have a cellular network. That's where civilization ends here. Only electricity is from the generator powering the GSM mast. Now I'd like to type some document on my new PB which has been transported here on a mule. I suggest you get over here and have the same experience like me.
    02-24-12 05:09 PM
    well maybe its time to hitch your mule to your wagon and head into town to find a saloon with wifi.

You did buy a wifi-only device right? Didn't you know that before you bought it???
    02-24-12 06:25 PM
    lmao am I reading this right? This was a joke right? hahahaaaha
    02-24-12 06:33 PM
    Quit complaining and return it then. Clearly it's not meeting your needs or your situation so be done with it and spare us all your personal gripes over WiFi. The majority of users have access to WiFi. you're complaining about personal problem you have. You bought a device with no 3G cellular modem knowing your WiFi access was a crap shoot and you're angry at RIM? lol.
    02-24-12 06:35 PM
    I wish I'd known... I'll Arange for my good old laptop. And if it crashes I just enter a few DVD's and I'm up and running again, without the holy internet.
    02-24-12 06:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD