I have two usb ports on my Blackberry Playbook [both micro] . One is thin and wideish which I use for charging. The other is shorter and slightly fatter. This connects to my computer.
    Will the new OS enable me to use a card reader/writer so I can move stuff from Playbook to the card please?

Another question !

I seem to have an American Playbook. I looked at the apps for stocks and shares and all seemed to be geared towards the American/Canadian Markets. Does anyone please have any idea which/where I could get apps for the British Stockmarket for my Playbook.

Thanks.
    01-15-12 12:13 PM
    I have two usb ports on my Blackberry Playbook [both micro] . One is thin and wideish which I use for charging. The other is shorter and slightly fatter. This connects to my computer.
    The "shorter and fatter" one is your HDMI output. It's for connecting to a Display (Be it TV, Monitor or Projector)

Will the new OS enable me to use a card reader/writer so I can move stuff from Playbook to the card please?
    AFAIK there won't be a USB Hub option on the new OS, I would have a look at the Rooted Playbook stuff for that. Alternatively you can transfer files over WiFi.
    spike12 likes this.
    01-15-12 12:21 PM
    Welcome to CB! There is actually only one usb port (centre plug). The other one on the left which looks very similar is a micro hdmi port for connecting to a hd tv.

I dont think usb has been confirmed yet but it seems possible through rooting the device. I'm sure the news will break here once it is officially released though, stay tuned.
    01-15-12 12:26 PM
    Just for clarity although the usb text could be misconstrued. The usb port is also used for "data" connections to a computer (and we hope for more with otg usb devices) as well as charging:
    Last edited by F2; 01-15-12 at 01:15 PM.
    cl8baller and spike12 like this.
    01-15-12 12:43 PM
    Thanks for replies and jpgs.
    I must have got an American Playbook as I charge using the MIDDLE "usb" port in the photograph. The one on the right has three small pins or sockets.
    Anyone with similar please?
    01-15-12 06:38 PM
    Thanks for replies and jpgs.
    I must have got an American Playbook as I charge using the MIDDLE "usb" port in the photograph. The one on the right has three small pins or sockets.
    Anyone with similar please?
    Its for the "rapid charger" which uses a magnetic connection to charge. This port, along with appropriate charger, will charge your PlayBook faster.
    01-15-12 06:48 PM
    Sooo confusing having two sockets to charge ! My hair is falling out !

Thanks for quick reply !
    01-15-12 07:03 PM
    All playbooks are "American" or CANADIAN. There are no PHYSICAL differences. The differences occur as you set it up for language and when it does its initial wifi "talk" with RIM. Then it learns where you are and might localize the keyboard and let appworld know you are using pounds or Euros or Dollars or whatever.

That middle port can charge using the AC adapter. It can also charge (very slowly) when hooked to a computer. When hooked to a computer it can also communicate with it and allow files to be transferred and allow Rim's Desktop Manager Software to backup and/or sync data.

The hdmi is for hooking to a tv.

That 3-pin is for a separate accesory - actually two. There is a dock which allows the pb to sit and charge (if it works right) and a separate rapid charger which is kind of like the usb charger but works quite fast and has wires and a "box" (electronics like the ac adapter).
    01-15-12 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD