Hi guys,

I have had a PB for 20months now, 64gb and everything, but gosh as a BB customer I feel like BB/Heins is sending me in a playbook limbo. As a customer I dont feel protected and taken care of - and about 12mo away from jumping to another platform. Here is why:

-Still no date (even approximate) for BB10 release on current PB
    -No new wifi Playbook hardware update. No commitment to new hardware. My PB is 2y old, how can I upgrade?
    -Mobile computing platform/BB10: until this materializes on other things than phones, its vapor ware.
    -10 inch PB is a MYTH. It would be uncompetitive on a resolution basis with retina/latest Android tablets, since QNX/BB10 has to be upgraded to 2000x1000 something pixels, something that is way too manpower heavy. All apps needs to be revamped too. Too difficult for developers considering Z10 and q10 apps need repackaging.
    -Lack of long-term commitment to PB means the current ecosystem will stop growing. Why would developers spend time on hardware/software that will not grow its user-base.
    -Upgraded wifi 7inch PB is A MUST to protect current BB consumers from fleeing to other platforms.

sorry for being so harsh. Im almost ready to upgrade and there is nothing is sight.
    03-18-13 02:06 PM
    I really believe there will be another tablet in the Blackberry family, but no time soon. According to their leaked roadmap they were planning on releasing a new tablet (Blackforest) in Q3 of this year along with the scheduled phone device releases. However, I think their plans have changed based on what's happening in the tablet scene in all markets. If you have to switch platforms, I would recommend sticking with a Blackberry smartphone and choose a tablet that fits your needs and hopefully works with your phone until Blackberry lets more information out. The reason I make this recommendation is due to phone contracts vice tablet use/resell. Meaning, its easier to switch tablets later if Blackberry releases one you like.

New Playbook LIMBO: BB10/10vs7inches-rim-roadmap-2013.jpg
    03-18-13 02:48 PM
    Hi guys,

I have had a PB for 20months now, 64gb and everything, but gosh as a BB customer I feel like BB/Heins is sending me in a playbook limbo. As a customer I dont feel protected and taken care of - and about 12mo away from jumping to another platform. Here is why:

-Still no date (even approximate) for BB10 release on current PB
    -No new wifi Playbook hardware update. No commitment to new hardware. My PB is 2y old, how can I upgrade?
    -Mobile computing platform/BB10: until this materializes on other things than phones, its vapor ware.
    -10 inch PB is a MYTH. It would be uncompetitive on a resolution basis with retina/latest Android tablets, since QNX/BB10 has to be upgraded to 2000x1000 something pixels, something that is way too manpower heavy. All apps needs to be revamped too. Too difficult for developers considering Z10 and q10 apps need repackaging.
    -Lack of long-term commitment to PB means the current ecosystem will stop growing. Why would developers spend time on hardware/software that will not grow its user-base.
    -Upgraded wifi 7inch PB is A MUST to protect current BB consumers from fleeing to other platforms.

sorry for being so harsh. Im almost ready to upgrade and there is nothing is sight.
    How much did you pay for your Playbook? Did you get it only when it was going for a song?
    03-18-13 02:50 PM
    Well, yes, if you want a NEW device then the announcement is disappointing but it does not affect the existing device which works as it has always worked (nor not depending on your definition).

When I read the Australian review I did wonder what is a "mobile platform" he was spouting on about when that platform is a cell phone! Cutting back on Bridge features seems to be even less of a "mobile platform" than the pb coupled with prior phones. Even adding bb10 to the pb does not seem to be about creating an on-going "mobile platform." What I think they've done is create MOBILE PLATITUDES. A slogan with no real meat. To answer the age old question: "Where's the beef?" The answer is with users who have a beef with Rim/bbry.

Ah, well, more of the same really.
    03-18-13 02:56 PM
    I really believe there will be another tablet in the Blackberry family, but no time soon. According to their leaked roadmap they were planning on releasing a new tablet (Blackforest) in Q3 of this year along with the scheduled phone device releases. However, I think their plans have changed based on what's happening in the tablet scene in all markets. If you have to switch platforms, I would recommend sticking with a Blackberry smartphone and choose a tablet that fits your needs and hopefully works with your phone until Blackberry lets more information out. The reason I make this recommendation is due to phone contracts vice tablet use/resell. Meaning, its easier to switch tablets later if Blackberry releases one you like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rim-roadmap-2013.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	142100
    The problem with that graphic (road map) as well as the Facebook postings of folks in their underwear is that nothing ever disappears from the Internet. Folks keep digging up that OLD image and it is, a year, give or take, after its release, totally meaningless. I can dig out an image that shows that the pb has skype and some other apps that never showed up.
    03-18-13 03:01 PM
    The problem with that graphic (road map) as well as the Facebook postings of folks in their underwear is that nothing ever disappears from the Internet. Folks keep digging up that OLD image and it is, a year, give or take, after its release, totally meaningless. I can dig out an image that shows that the pb has skype and some other apps that never showed up.
    F2, you wouldn't happen to have a more recent roadmap would you? I know this is old and I use it to show things have changed, but I don't have a more recent plan. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    03-18-13 03:14 PM
    I do not believe there is any newer road map or even statement, other than that the z10 will be introduced into the US this (coming?) week. Not even when the keyboard model will be introduced, I don't think.

They don't make such announcements which is one of the complaints.
    lcjr likes this.
    03-18-13 03:33 PM
    in the current competitive environment, it makes NO SENSE for BB, whatsoever, to not protect their current qnx customers and offer them a competitive product, almost 2y after the initial PB product. If customers were attracted to qnx, not offering anything new is not the way to keep them, especially when comparing to the current product life cycle of apple and android.
    03-18-13 03:46 PM
    How much did you pay for your Playbook? Did you get it only when it was going for a song?
    paid 700$. worth every penny on its own (pb os, hardware, bridge). but considering i dont have a reasonable upgrade path, im upset.
    03-18-13 03:48 PM
    I think that BB10 can exist as just a phone OS . It may need a better BB link that operates on other platforms. Not having a PB does not mean much to me . There 79 million BB phones but only 2 million PBs. BB may need to partner to build a BB10 computing ecosystem.
    03-18-13 03:49 PM
    It would be foolish of BB not to offer something in the Tablet space. Which is the fastest growing market segment.
    This market, both business and consumers are looking for product integration. This is one of the strength of the Apple brand, all their tech work together.

Since BB's approach to winning back market share is to solve the problem of BYOD by having a device that is good for business and for personal use, they need to apply the same formula to the need of using tablet in the work and home space.
    03-18-13 04:39 PM
    It would be foolish of BB not to offer something in the Tablet space. Which is the fastest growing market segment.
    This market, both business and consumers are looking for product integration. This is one of the strength of the Apple brand, all their tech work together.

Since BB's approach to winning back market share is to solve the problem of BYOD by having a device that is good for business and for personal use, they need to apply the same formula to the need of using tablet in the work and home space.
    totally agree. considering the OS/QNX is already on PB, screen resolution should be the same at Z10, I think its a no-brainer to bring an updated PB to market, and increase development cycles in MODERATED numbers, considering PB wont sell at 15Million units. But at least, they protect their market.

How about platform sharing? A tablet, a laptop, a lapdock all using the same tablet hardware underpinnings, just different packaging? Hello?
    03-18-13 04:53 PM
    If he got it 20monts ago ** didn't get it for a song.
    03-18-13 05:49 PM
    its very hard for me today not to jump on the BB hate wagon. I want an upgrade for my wifi PB. Its been almost 2y, its a nonsense. Any car company that doesnt have an upgrade vehicle after a 3y lease is bound for failure.
    03-18-13 06:30 PM
    Hardwares fine, but BB10 will be very welcome as a holdover til the new tablet. BB10 will make a more fluid bond with my Z10
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    03-18-13 06:35 PM
    its very hard for me today not to jump on the BB hate wagon. I want an upgrade for my wifi PB. Its been almost 2y, its a nonsense. Any car company that doesnt have an upgrade vehicle after a 3y lease is bound for failure.
    Just being straight with you here, but BB or Thor or whoever, never promised you anything. Take it or leave it, that's all there is to it. Sorry to be blunt but your whining got under my skin a little
    03-18-13 06:43 PM
    Just being straight with you here, but BB or Thor or whoever, never promised you anything. Take it or leave it, that's all there is to it. Sorry to be blunt but your whining got under my skin a little
    It's not about a promise.
    For me I am fan of BB. I've been using their phones for the last 7 years and the PB for the last 1.5 years.
    I'll be getting a new phone in abount 9 months. I am leaning towards the Z10. But if BB is not offering a new tablet that has good integration with the z10 (aka bridge functionaly plus), then I will be moving on.
    I'm sure that I'm not alone on this.
    kingbernie06511 likes this.
    03-18-13 07:45 PM
    For me I am fan of BB. I've been using their phones for the last 7 years and the PB for the last 1.5 years.
    I'll be getting a new phone in abount 9 months. I am leaning towards the Z10. But if BB is not offering a new tablet that has good integration with the z10 (aka bridge functionaly plus), then I will be moving on.
    Oh I'm positive you are not alone. People come and go all the time. I've had the PB since day 1 and I got what I paid for, plain and simple. Not trying to be rude, I just can't believe some peoples sense of entitlement
    03-18-13 07:59 PM
    It really looks like the PlayBook is a dead product now.
    How so?
    03-18-13 08:11 PM
    It really looks like the PlayBook is a dead product now.Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more
    It's only dead if you stop using it It's almost 2 years old, haha, how many ipads are released every year??
    03-18-13 08:21 PM
    Playbook is what it is. Some people just turning hope into their reality and got bitter about it when it does not happen. I still think BB10 will come to Playbook but that's my wishful thinking. I'm not going to be bitter about it if it doesn't. If Playbook is useless to you at this point, perhaps it's time to move on to another tablet. Your money, your choice and your decision. If BlackBerry has no plan on making another tablet in a foreseeable future, I'm moving on too once my Playbook no longer serves my need.
    Bbnivende and SlcCorrado like this.
    03-18-13 08:29 PM

I am not the biggest PB fan but how is another phone /tablet integration any better ? Is a iPhone/Ipad or Samsung/Nexus any better? Why is this integration so important? I have a BB phone and a iPad and a PB personally and I really don't get it. I can definitely see the benefits of a PC/tablet integration but not so much the phone tablet integration. My buddies are all in android or all in apple and the use of integration appears to pretty limited.
    03-18-13 09:11 PM
    From OS 2.1 to BB10 isn't too difficult. All BlackBerry need is to tweak some settings on the current BB10, mostly removing unnecessary coding. If BlackBerry had a BB10 PlayBook team before the New Year, I'm sure we would've seen BB10 on our PlayBook about a month ago.
    03-18-13 09:16 PM
    paid 700$. worth every penny on its own (pb os, hardware, bridge). but considering i dont have a reasonable upgrade path, im upset.
    The last I heard was around June for BB10 to the playbook. There is a rumor it could happen sooner.
    03-19-13 07:58 AM
    Oh I'm positive you are not alone. People come and go all the time. I've had the PB since day 1 and I got what I paid for, plain and simple. Not trying to be rude, I just can't believe some peoples sense of entitlement
    Apple offers a really compelling upgrade path - an iPad from one or two generations back can still run the latest OS version and most apps, but to get the best experience you're better off buying the latest one. It's a soft sell that doesn't rile up users and gets them to part with their cash willingly.

Android tablet makers have a nasty habit of dropping support after just one generation, but if you're willing to get under the hood you can always go with CyanogenMod custom ROMs. At least that would keep your tablet up to date for a few years. Even clueless HP with its Touchpad released enough code for the community to come up with a WebOS upgrade.

Not so with the Playbook. You're stuck with an OS that few people want to develop for, the manufacturer keeps silent on the roadmap, and you can't install custom ROMs because it's locked down tight. Right now Blackberry is treating the Playbook, its users and developers like a dead end.
    03-19-13 10:19 AM
28 12