I am eager to buy a 64gb Playbook as they are fairly cheap these days, but unfortunatly have been sold out in many locations!!!! I called into Future Shop and the guy said to call back on friday.....So i did call back friday to find out they didnt get a new shipment. The man said that he heard that Future Shop was getting ready to ship in a new model of Playbook!!! Could this be true ????
    02-12-12 10:00 PM
    Yes......& No
    There is a new 3.5 G PB that is coming out. However it's next expected until atleast Mobile Congress at the end of the month....That being said, the current PB's are still going to be sold
    heaven1794 likes this.
    02-13-12 01:42 AM
    The 3.5G/H+ (HSPA/HSDPA/HSUPA) one will likely also have wifi in the case that the mobile network is not available or is experiencing difficulties. The wifi versions will still be sold. Playbook 2, hmm, it might be in march, or april if delayed. All we can do is wait.
    02-13-12 06:34 AM
    No report of new hardware (other than 3G mobile version already mentioned here).

No mention of new hardware in the RIM roadmap leaked a couple of weeks ago, either.

Take that to mean: not impossible, but pretty unlikely.
    02-13-12 04:33 PM
    What about the rumored 10 inch playbook?
    02-13-12 04:35 PM
    No report of new hardware (other than 3G mobile version already mentioned here).

No mention of new hardware in the RIM roadmap leaked a couple of weeks ago, either.

Take that to mean: not impossible, but pretty unlikely.
    Are you sure there wasn't mention of a spec bump in that new PB? I would count that as new hardware. I thought it was supposed to be dual 1.5's in there? I don't remember :/
    02-13-12 04:37 PM
    it going to be true in a couple of months.

but you might as well buy it now. why would you want to spend $499 for a 16gb model that is .5gHz faster than the original.

besides why pay more each month whenyou can use bbbridge/hotspot with your playbook
    heaven1794 likes this.
    02-13-12 07:53 PM
    so new spec changes and/or hardware enhancements would be highly unlikely?
    02-14-12 11:24 PM
    so new spec changes and/or hardware enhancements would be highly unlikely?
    The rumored/leaked 3G version of the Playbook (I am just reluctant to call it PB 2.0 ), will have hardware changes:

- 3G and NFC modules (upgrade/enhancement)
    - Higher clocked TI OMAP 4460 (1.5Ghz) (upgrade/enhancement)
    - Smaller capacity battery; 4800mah vs the current 5300mah (downgrade)
    02-15-12 01:00 AM
    Maybe the new playbook will feature email?
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-15-12 11:38 PM
    HAHA Very funny....Now be on your way Sir/Madam.
    02-15-12 11:51 PM
    02-15-12 11:53 PM
    If you think about it, it's quite sad. OS 2 is on the verge of release and is featuring things that the Playbook SHOULD have had in the first place. No email? Really?

Now the people that bought into the playbook, especially at the beginning, have to suffer and live with older model hardware that just got functionality (like email, calendar, etc). Imagine dropping 400ish for a tablet that had promised apps within 2 months and not have them show up for almost a year, and along with that, when the apps finally do come, they come out with new hardware. RIM is really slapping the faces of its customers with these long delays.
    02-16-12 12:00 AM
    If you think about it, it's quite sad. OS 2 is on the verge of release and is featuring things that the Playbook SHOULD have had in the first place. No email? Really?

Now the people that bought into the playbook, especially at the beginning, have to suffer and live with older model hardware that just got functionality (like email, calendar, etc). Imagine dropping 400ish for a tablet that had promised apps within 2 months and not have them show up for almost a year, and along with that, when the apps finally do come, they come out with new hardware. RIM is really slapping the faces of its customers with these long delays.
    How about people buy things depending on the features that the device currently has, not future promises?
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-16-12 12:06 AM
    I have enjoyed my PB the way it is now... and will wait and see what the "New" PB will be like before I consider getting it for the new features, and I certainly won't plunk out the big bucks just to have another new device.... well... that's the way I feel now.... If it really is over the top.... I might change my '1/2 of ONE braincell' that I have left and run out and get one! LOL
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-16-12 12:16 AM
    If a new Playbook is ever released with new specs (ie: updated CPU, etc) and still maintains the awesome quality of the current PB I own, I will be all over it.
    02-16-12 12:49 AM
    For the people that enjoy their PB for what they currently can do -- more power to you.

I unfortunately bought mine with good faith that RIM would hold up to its word--My mistake.
    kennyliu and Hockey_Fan10 like this.
    02-16-12 12:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD