Well I just ordered a Playbook 16GB from amazon for $235, cant wait for it to get here!!!

I've had 2 other tablets, including the Iconia A500 (both returned or resold) what I could never stand is that once you leave wifi you're basically left with a $500 calculator. I have been a blackberry user as long as i have been a cell phone owner and wouldnt give up blackberry for anything! So between my love for blackberry, interest in tablets, and the price from amazon the Playbook really seemed perfect!

Well getting away from my boring back story....

My real question is: For blackberry phone + Playbook users, is OS 2.0 that big of a deal? I mean I see all the hype over native email, calendar, and contacts which seem to be the big changes but it seems like those who bridge already use those functions??? I could be very wrong but idk. Android compatibility is a big deal and that will be great. What do I have to look forward to w/ 2.0 as a playbook+blackberry phone user??

Any good advice for a to-be PB owner??? Accessory wise what's worth getting???

SO anyways, I just wanted to say hi and share some of my thoughts and excitement about my new PB!
    01-17-12 07:51 AM
    Welcome and read the sticky on tips and tricks...you'll find the answers to many of your questions. Just be secure in the knowledge that you have arrived, and ownership of a PB has its privileges, and the feeling is not unlike that of someone taking possession of a new Aston Martin...there are so few to go around, and many who want one.
    hpjrt and jafobabe like this.
    01-17-12 07:55 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! Don't forget to fill out your profile with device and carrier/OS info so we can help you faster. Read the posting guidelines and FAQ.

OS 2 brings enhanced bridge functionality (remote!!!), native clients will work much faster over wifi than they do on bridge, native autotext in non-bridged apps, and more, so yeah, it's kind of a big deal.

• Get a case. OEM Convertible, OEM hard shell, OEM soft shell, Acase, Blurex, Targus Truss, Otterbox Defender are all recommended.
    • Get a screen protector
    • Get a rapid charger and/or dock.
    • Get a micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable.
    • Read this thread, start to finish: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-know-671764/
    diegonei and jafobabe like this.
    01-17-12 08:00 AM
    Welcome to the club.

We could tell you about the features, but do yourself a favor and watch the videos: It is So much more fun. You'll be blad you have a BB.
    Last edited by diegonei; 01-17-12 at 08:37 AM.
    01-17-12 08:02 AM
    Thanks guys!

I left out of my original post that I am from Argentina, here in the states for work and my time here will be done next week so I will be heading back to Buenos Aires where I have a Storm 9530 on Movistar Argentina, which connects to the EDGE network... will there be a problem with the bridge function based on my phone/network?

Thanks Again, this is really a great community full of information that it feels good to be a part of!
    01-17-12 08:07 AM
    You need OS 5 on your Storm to use Bridge. Don't count on anything close to decent bridged browsing speeds on EDGE. Other apps like Facebook may work, but they will be slower.
    01-17-12 08:15 AM
    If you can, get a Curve 3G, they should be cheap enough by now. That should partially solve the speed issues over bridge.
    01-17-12 08:40 AM
    Playbook arrives tomorrow!!!

While i like the look and feel of a "naked" plybook, I am planning on buying a case juuuusttt in case.

Right now I'm torn between:
    Amazon.com: BlackBerry PlayBook Pop! Case: Electronics

and

http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-BlackB...bUvbUpU7041041

Any thoughts or experience?
    01-18-12 02:12 AM

My real question is: For blackberry phone + Playbook users, is OS 2.0 that big of a deal? I mean I see all the hype over native email, calendar, and contacts which seem to be the big changes but it seems like those who bridge already use those functions??? I could be very wrong but idk. Android compatibility is a big deal and that will be great. What do I have to look forward to w/ 2.0 as a playbook+blackberry phone user??

SO anyways, I just wanted to say hi and share some of my thoughts and excitement about my new PB!
    Hi! You're thinking like a RIM executive and not looking at the big picture. The Playbook has to stand on its own merits and not be tethered to the coattails of a Blackberry Phone. In the consumer cellphone market, Blackberry phones are taking a big hit from the competition. Their business market is starting to feel the heat from competitors. I suspect most people buying a playbook now are not Blackberry cellphone users. I know I am not and others I know are not.

OS 2.0 is a big deal because it now lacks a native email client and has no access to the Android Marketplace. If you plan to market the PB as a consumer device you certainly can't restrict sales to only BB users.
    01-18-12 08:24 AM
    Hi! You're thinking like a RIM executive and not looking at the big picture. The Playbook has to stand on its own merits and not be tethered to the coattails of a Blackberry Phone. In the consumer cellphone market, Blackberry phones are taking a big hit from the competition. Their business market is starting to feel the heat from competitors. I suspect most people buying a playbook now are not Blackberry cellphone users. I know I am not and others I know are not.
    I don't get it??? It sounds like he is looking at the big picture. The PlayBook certainly does stand on its own merits when not utilizing Bridge or WIFI but why limit yourself? I won't be purchasing any Playbook with 3g or LTE or anything else. I get what I want saving a TON of cash immediately and monthly by partnering up my PlayBook to my BlackBerry. This same idea is why I would NOT even consider purchasing ANY other tablet. Cause once you leave your WIFI zone then your stuck with just a tablet.

Unless I'm wrong? Can an iPad with no 3G let you utilize your iPhone's internet connection WITHOUT having to pay your Cell Phone provider additional money? Can an Android combination do this?

Nothing beats sitting in a car, using your PlayBook to check your emails, GPS, check FaceBook, or just checking out CrackBerry.com for FREE!!!
    01-18-12 09:40 AM
    i'm debating on getting a playbook.

i know this is a horrible question to ask BUT...

playbook or ipad??
    01-18-12 09:52 AM
    I don't get it??? It sounds like he is looking at the big picture. The PlayBook certainly does stand on its own merits when not utilizing Bridge or WIFI but why limit yourself? I won't be purchasing any Playbook with 3g or LTE or anything else. I get what I want saving a TON of cash immediately and monthly by partnering up my PlayBook to my BlackBerry. This same idea is why I would NOT even consider purchasing ANY other tablet. Cause once you leave your WIFI zone then your stuck with just a tablet.

Unless I'm wrong? Can an iPad with no 3G let you utilize your iPhone's internet connection WITHOUT having to pay your Cell Phone provider additional money? Can an Android combination do this?

Nothing beats sitting in a car, using your PlayBook to check your emails, GPS, check FaceBook, or just checking out CrackBerry.com for FREE!!!
    My point exactly, and whether or not the playbook stands on its own merits is honestly irrelevant to me. As a blackberry user Im thrilled to finally have a tablet that will have internet conectivity everywhere I go, since Im never without my BB phone anyways.

I would also have to disagree with djnshores comment that most playbook consumers are not blackberry users, Id say its atleast 50-50 or more blackberry>non blackberry PHONE users.

Even IF the playbook were a "stand alone" device, I would NEVER pay a monthly data plan for it, or any 3g tablet for that matter, while I can bridge for free from my phone. and any wifi only tablet is practically useless once youre outside of wireless.
    01-18-12 10:56 AM

I don't understand all the misinformation, nearly any tablet can tether to your phone and utilize the phones connection for the internet for FREE........
    01-18-12 11:08 AM
    I don't understand all the misinformation, nearly any tablet can tether to your phone and utilize the phones connection for the internet for FREE........

what misinformation?

AT&T now charges $30 additional for tethering
    DailyTech - AT&T Prepares to "Pwn" Tethering Jailbreakers

Verizon is also charging $30 in adition to the standard data plan for tethering to a 4G handset
    Verizon data charges leak continues, $30 tethering for 4G customers -- Engadget

Sprint is the only big provider that hasnt started to charge for tethering but i think they limit you to like 5GB
    01-18-12 11:42 AM
    Using BlackBerry bridge does not incur tethering charges and does not require another data plan. Just don't use the stock AT&T version of bridge. Get it from rroyy.com.
    01-18-12 12:14 PM
    what misinformation?

AT&T now charges $30 additional for tethering
    DailyTech - AT&T Prepares to "Pwn" Tethering Jailbreakers

Verizon is also charging $30 in adition to the standard data plan for tethering to a 4G handset
    Verizon data charges leak continues, $30 tethering for 4G customers -- Engadget

Sprint is the only big provider that hasnt started to charge for tethering but i think they limit you to like 5GB

As a side note, is it any wonder AT&T is on the 10 most hated companies in North America list?

Actually, Verizon, Sprint, et al charge for tethering/wifi hotspot connection, as does AT&T, but ONLY AT&T charges you $20.00 for the use of Bridge, which they consider tethering.

Confused yet, well, it is...Verizon and Sprint so far allow for their customers to Bridge for free (which is the whole point of Bridge), but only AT&T is charging for that privilege.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 01-18-12 at 12:31 PM.
    01-18-12 12:27 PM
    In case someone didn't already mention ...

I'd recommend getting one of these off ebay and then you'd have 516 gig PB.

GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate

I don't think USB storage is going to be possible any other way for quite some time.
    01-18-12 12:34 PM
    Welcome to Crackleberry!

As far as the Playbook is concerned, you will soon grow to realize that there isn't a toilet on this planet you wouldn't sit on without the Playbook.

As far as accessories are concerned, I use the Otterbox Defender case, primarily for reasons stated above.
    01-18-12 12:36 PM
    I can use my Android device to tether 5 devices at a time, no charge. That is a real world consideration for someone with a family that had several devices.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-18-12 12:39 PM
    I can use my Android device to tether 5 devices at a time, no charge. That is a real world consideration for someone with a family that had several devices.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    You are absolutely correct. I enjoy the same, TOTALLY FREE.
    01-18-12 03:20 PM
    the improvements in the keyboard will be GREAT! I assure you that i send so many typos on the current keyboard.
    01-18-12 04:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD