Has anyone heard anything about a new Playbook coming out ? Somone at Chapter`s told my friend that they won`t be restocking the old PB. They`re waiting for new PB to come out.

Would be just same PB with the upgraded software ? Or totally new tablet ?
    11-29-11 10:04 AM
    The current PB will not be replaced until April / May next year, I hear.

The updated OS will be released in Feb of next year and will be available to all current PB users.

Personally, if I were Chapters, I would get in a stock now and sell them for the new reduced price as they seem to be flying off the shelves at the moment.
    11-29-11 10:09 AM
    We'll just have to wait and see right?

I really think that OS 2.0 will work just fine on the current playbook, but that RIM also release a new PB with some strong(er) specs.

I also guess that OS 2.0 need some more space on your PB than the current OS and that 16GB might be not enough for some of us.
    Last edited by Daruba; 11-29-11 at 10:20 AM.
    11-29-11 10:17 AM
    interesting..

as much as I like my PB but there are too many uknown. Don`t want to find myslef being too limited. I won`t be storing music or pictures on mine nor will I go crazy with apps so hopefully my 16gb enough.

it`s hard to be BB supporter. seriously considering something else at this point.
    11-29-11 11:18 AM
    interesting..

it`s hard to be BB supporter. seriously considering something else at this point.

I noticed that you're a recent registered user to CB. If you came in to say you are considering to leave, it took you longer to register than it would have taken you to just switch companies Good luck!
    bbfan1040, modine, Hgouck and 2 others like this.
    11-29-11 12:30 PM
    interesting..

as much as I like my PB but there are too many uknown. Don`t want to find myslef being too limited. I won`t be storing music or pictures on mine nor will I go crazy with apps so hopefully my 16gb enough.

Ahh.... now I am smelling something...
    Abrante likes this.
    11-29-11 02:37 PM
    ....and it doesn't smell like mama's home fried chicken either.
    11-29-11 02:56 PM
    The current PB will not be replaced until April / May next year, I hear.

The updated OS will be released in Feb of next year and will be available to all current PB users.

Personally, if I were Chapters, I would get in a stock now and sell them for the new reduced price as they seem to be flying off the shelves at the moment.
    So where did you hear that bit of gossip ?? I hope RIM aren't going to go Apple on us and release an "new" device every 12 / 6 months,this model has so much potential if they just get their finger out !!
    vgwillm likes this.
    11-29-11 03:15 PM
    Unless you are loading up your Playbook with a bunch of unnecessary media already duplicated on your computer, 16gb is twice the space you need. People crack me up loading up their entire music library on their Playbook, when they already have a dedicated mp3 player. This means that they replicate their library on 3 devices; their computer, their mp3 player and the Playbook. This is so redundant, especially when the Desktop software lets you select the specific playlists of your choosing. Media has the largest footprint on storage.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    11-29-11 03:34 PM
    ...This means that they replicate their library on 3 devices; their computer, their mp3 player and the Playbook. This is so redundant, ...
    So true my friend, so true!
    11-29-11 04:07 PM
    Has anybody here heard of Tegra 3 or a the new lenovo tablet which will have a resolution above 1080p. Of course they will have to release a new tablet very soon. But why buy a tablet if you want to play games?
    11-29-11 04:48 PM
    Has anybody here heard of Tegra 3 or a the new lenovo tablet which will have a resolution above 1080p. Of course they will have to release a new tablet very soon. But why buy a tablet if you want to play games?
    Why buy a tab if you want to play games? Well, it turns out that playing high quality games on the PB is effing excellent.
    Megacharge and Abrante like this.
    11-29-11 05:20 PM
    Why buy a tab if you want to play games? Well, it turns out that playing high quality games on the PB is effing excellent.

couldn't be said any clearer than that !!! Madden 2012, NOVA 2HD and Need For Speed were the reasons for this (See attachments). These were 2 PRO-iOS guys, until now...
    11-29-11 05:36 PM
    interesting..

This is understandable. All my friends are looking into different phones and that'll suck cause I really do like bbm. But now that SSM has become much easier to use its not going to make that much of a difference. They want to switch because they want a superphone now and not in 2-3 years.

Everyone else immediately goes to personal attacks on this forum... lame.
    11-29-11 05:39 PM
    Unless you are loading up your Playbook with a bunch of unnecessary media already duplicated on your computer, 16gb is twice the space you need. People crack me up loading up their entire music library on their Playbook, when they already have a dedicated mp3 player. This means that they replicate their library on 3 devices; their computer, their mp3 player and the Playbook. This is so redundant, especially when the Desktop software lets you select the specific playlists of your choosing. Media has the largest footprint on storage.
    Its not stupid. The PB has excellent speakers. If they included a SD card or flashdrive support thru usb it would be a less limited device. But they wanted to sell extra bits of memory at exorbitant prices like the rest of the tech companies are doing lately.
    11-29-11 05:41 PM
    So where did you hear that bit of gossip ?? I hope RIM aren't going to go Apple on us and release an "new" device every 12 / 6 months,this model has so much potential if they just get their finger out !!
    "go apple on us" lol!

trust me I know what that feels like - I've been appled on a lot!

Careful guys - legitimate question - I was told the same by a Staples employee - it truly is a rumor .
    Spread by apple, but it is a rumor. Give the guy a chance -

Welcome to Crackberry OP - a lot of (valid) suspicions here. But, we are watching.

The answer to your question is nobody really knows for sure.

Now just let the thread sink into oblivion....
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-29-11 at 05:58 PM.
    11-29-11 05:46 PM
    The PB is an absolute steal at these recent prices.
    11-29-11 06:02 PM
    Its not stupid. The PB has excellent speakers. If they included a SD card or flashdrive support thru usb it would be a less limited device. But they wanted to sell extra bits of memory at exorbitant prices like the rest of the tech companies are doing lately.
    It may not be stupid, but it is certainly asinine. To call a spade a spade. The Playbook may have great speakers - not quite Bose quality, but good for a tablet nonetheless - but it can still only play one song at a time. Of course, I agree that RIM was being a bit uncharitable by not including support for external storage, but I intend to beat them at their own game by loading selectively.

If every song is estimated at 4MB, and 8GB stores about 2000 tracks, then 16gb is again, twice the size anyone needs. If you are loading music to your Playbook, you already have a computer. Ergo, your library is already stored on a device. Why store your entire library yet again on the Playbook? I have a 74gb library, and I'd be lying if I claimed to even play a quarter of the songs in my collection in a year.

For a trip to Bora Bora or one of the exotic islands, I imagine a playlist of 2000 songs would cover at least 3 months. And then you'd simply replace that playlist when you get bored. And if anyone claims that their Playbook provides better quality music than standalone computer speakers, I'd that they are speaking with a forked tongue.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 11-29-11 at 07:09 PM.
    11-29-11 06:44 PM
    i agree,my buddy has a asus with keyboard dock and the dock has 2 usb ports and a sd slot,i plugged my 500gig hd in and loaded up whatever he wanted quickly,the asus is a sweet device for sure
    11-29-11 06:52 PM
    There's always Google Music and a dozen other ways to store it in the cloud.
    11-29-11 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD