I bought a new BlackBerry Playbook 64GB from eBay. It is listed as new and even the packing etc. all look new. But to my surprise, I just opened it today and it already has a BlackBerry ID in it... some gmail email ID. Also the OS was already upgraded to 2.1. I don't see any used marks etc. But I am surprised to see the BlackBerry ID. Is this really genuine? I got a 32 GB from Walmart and it came with factory settings and asked me to setup a BlackBerry ID. But the eBay one simply started with some BlackBerry ID. Is it like the reseller opened it to upgrade the OS? Just want to make sure nothing's wrong. I did send an email to the eBay seller and waiting for response. But did any one of you encountered this type of situation?

Regards,
    Satish.
    02-09-13 03:50 PM
    I would do a security wipe - that'll reset you back to what is essentially the factory image, including the chance to enter your existing BB ID or register a new one. Also a good way to verify that the PIN isn't blocked (i.e. the device isn't stolen) since the initial BB ID registration process will (I believe) check this.

Heck, I would do it just to have the peace of mind that there wasn't something fishy installed on the device. I've never heard of PlayBook malware, but there's always a first time, so...

Good luck!

RCK
    02-09-13 04:03 PM
    Yeah I would do the same thing, a security wipe would get that ID off of there. I got a 16gb off of ebay, it was dead (per description) but after reading a lot of tips off of CB, I stayed with if for the weekend and got virtually a new PB and as a bonus when I called BB they said that it was never registered so I got the 90 day plan but never had to use it because it came to life and it has been a friend to me since.
    Wipe that thing and reset it for YOU!!!
    02-09-13 04:19 PM
    Thanks a lot for your quick response. I just did a security wipe and setup a new BlackBerry ID... just waiting for the OS update to be completed.
    02-09-13 04:46 PM
    I would of just entered my blackberry id is all and delete the gmail account.

I bet it was new. but who ever had it took it out loaded it up new OS and then sold it is all, maybe they tested it out a bit too.
    02-09-13 05:26 PM
    And good security wipe works like a charm to get back to square one and get rid of any stuff that might be lurking around. Have fun with your new 64g!
    02-10-13 06:26 AM
    How do you do the wipe on the playbook?
    02-10-13 07:59 AM
    I bet it was new. but who ever had it took it out loaded it up new OS and then sold it is all, maybe they tested it out a bit too.
    Then, by definition, it was used.
    02-10-13 08:08 AM
    How do you do the wipe on the playbook?
    Go to your security settings on your Playbook. It's there.
    02-10-13 08:11 AM
    Is this really genuine?
    As long as the unit logo is the original and it say "BlackBerry" not "BlueBerry", it is genuine...

Is it like the reseller opened it to upgrade the OS?
    You should ask the Reseller if they opened the PB just to upgrade the OS. Basically, any unit that is declared new is supposedly "untouched" and "unopened". And nobody can install BB ID on PB without opening it. The Reseller probably wants to make sure that the PB is operational and as you mentioned, upgrade it to the latest OS. But still, the Reseller should inform you.

But did any one of you encountered this type of situation?
    When I bought my 1st PB, it is really new. Like a virgin. My 2nd PB is not but still OK. If you can purchase the Battery Guru Apps that would be great. This application can count how many times your PB has been charged from the very beginning. And it will give an idea if your PB has been charged and used...
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    02-10-13 10:53 AM