What has changed with this Playbook update today?
    11-26-11 03:02 PM
    The update is a few days old now, it has changed a few things which are mostly bug fixes and connectivity issues. There is a big thread on it, look in the forums if u want an exhaustive read.
    11-26-11 03:08 PM
    Please look around before posting new threads.
    11-26-11 03:17 PM
    What has changed with this Playbook update today?
    The release began on Thursday, 24 November 2011, at approximately 10:00 AM ET though the notification might have been slowly trickled out so as not to saturate the download servers. The playback of streaming audio from websites was initially thought to be a problem with this release, however, I discovered my router had mysteriously enabled WPS mode. I disabled WPS and reset the WPA/WPA2 PSK password and all has been well since this morning (26 November 2011).

The Daylight Savings Time (DST) fix apparently has introduced another problem for some people in certain time zones where the time-of-day is correct but the display time on the top of the screen is off by one hour. Research In Motion has acknowledged the issue and stated there is no fix expected anytime soon. Really? A simple time zone problem cannot be resolved within a few hours? Pun intended.
    11-26-11 03:31 PM
    I received both an update a couple of days ago and ANOTHER update today. So all you replyers saying this person who started this thread should review existing threads before they start one, you should think before you reply.
    11-26-11 03:41 PM
    Now I'm confused, there was an update on the 24th and 26th? I didn't receive the latter. What is the current official OS for the PlayBook?
    11-26-11 03:46 PM
    I received both an update a couple of days ago and ANOTHER update today. So all you replyers saying this person who started this thread should review existing threads before they start one, you should think before you reply.
    There has only been one official update (1.0.8.4985) and it was announced on 24 November 2011. Can you tell us what today's alleged update was intended to address? And provide the exact version number, please.
    11-26-11 03:49 PM
    Welcome to both of you. The statement regarding searching before you post was just friendly advice. This is a great website with plenty of knowledgeable people here ready to help those with questions. Occasionally, we ALL double post some topics. It happens.

Those of us that have been around a while just make it a habit to search first. Anyway, welcome to the site. That is interesting though since most of us received only one update.
    11-26-11 03:55 PM
    So what version did you receive?
    11-26-11 04:09 PM
    I too updated the other day AND just now when I turned on my Playbook another OS update was showing so I can understand where this person is coming from. I was hoping to find out some info on this update today but who knows.
    11-26-11 04:20 PM
    I too updated the other day AND just now when I turned on my Playbook another OS update was showing so I can understand where this person is coming from. I was hoping to find out some info on this update today but who knows.
    You probably DON"T want to update. I updated the other day and I think I installed a 1.0.8.33xx version but don't really remember. When the other smaller update came a day or two after it was the one people are having problems with (including me). What version do you have and what version is the update?
    11-26-11 04:29 PM
    No new update arround here... could anybody verify the number of the latest one please?
    11-26-11 04:37 PM
    a 4-6 M "update" was mentioned the other day and the result seemed to be replacement of deleted files
    11-26-11 04:40 PM
    Running 1.0.8.4985 but i loaded it this morning at 1225am so not sure if it is a from the 24th or the one from today.
    11-26-11 04:45 PM
    Notice that no one has supplied a new version number. There is no newer version than what was released on the 24th. If you search the forums, you will see that small "updates" that replace missing or deleted pieces is common, and does not add anything that the rest of the community doesn't already have. No version bump, no update.
    duster2006 likes this.
    11-26-11 04:57 PM
    Welcome to both of you. The statement regarding searching before you post was just friendly advice. This is a great website with plenty of knowledgeable people here ready to help those with questions. Occasionally, we ALL double post some topics. It happens.

Those of us that have been around a while just make it a habit to search first. Anyway, welcome to the site. That is interesting though since most of us received only one update.
    True, but actually if it were me - I would not know what to search for - I have the same question and missed whatever thread answered this - links anyone?

Instead of attacking the guy - provide a quick link.
    11-26-11 05:18 PM
    Notice that no one has supplied a new version number. There is no newer version than what was released on the 24th. If you search the forums, you will see that small "updates" that replace missing or deleted pieces is common, and does not add anything that the rest of the community doesn't already have. No version bump, no update.
    well said, thats all there to it.
    No kindly close this thread.
    11-26-11 05:30 PM
    To explain more:

For some reason, Rim has decided that certain apps are essential in one way or another. So while you may be able to delete one of those apps, when the pb gets a chance it will basically override your decision and will update the OS and re-install the app you removed.

At this point, I can't tell you exactly which ones are "essential" but you will find out when you remove them.
    11-26-11 06:04 PM
    My current PlayBook OS is 1.0.8.4985, is this the most recent official update?
    11-26-11 06:11 PM
    I did the OS update on the 24th. I also got the update this morning with the same rev number. It was only 4MB, so it must have been putting back some icons or something that Playbook stubornly insists we MUST have.

It requested a restart just like any other update but nothing of note to it.
    11-26-11 06:13 PM
    My current PlayBook OS is 1.0.8.4985, is this the most recent official update?
    Wow. This thread needs to be closed.

First of all, (not directed at you spencer) the PlayBook OS forum is here - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-tablet-os-f228/

Second of all, yes, Spencer, it is.

I did the OS update on the 24th. I also got the update this morning with the same rev number. It was only 4MB, so it must have been putting back some icons or something that Playbook stubornly insists we MUST have.
    That is exactly what we are dealing with here. The PlayBook has been doing that since the day it was released.

This confusion will continue as long as this thread is here.
    Last edited by jhimmel; 11-26-11 at 06:22 PM.
    11-26-11 06:18 PM
    i got the first update the other day. i have not deleted any programs or icons and yesterday received same version update 1.0.8.4985 with size 6MB. i too have wondered what is in this second update. i believe it is incorrect to always believe someone has deleted something and that is the answer to the question being asked.
    11-26-11 06:48 PM
    I have noticed that if you upgrade OTA you will sometimes get a redundant upgrade notice, esp. if you use the BB Desktop app. This happened to me today too, but it was the same software version number so I didn't expect anything from it. The notification keeps coming in until you trigger the second upgrade...but this only takes 2 or 3 minutes and I think it simply registers the presence of the current upgrade, and no actual download occurs. When upgrades come, it's wise to take notice of the actual number so this sort of thing doesn't cause a lot of confusion....
    jhimmel likes this.
    11-26-11 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD