Washington Post

The company�s sales of all digital media last year reached $17.8 million and accounted for 37 percent of revenue, data compiled by Bloomberg show.

�It�s not going to be about hardware,� Gartenberg said. �It�s going to be a battle of operating systems and ecosystems. They�re going to drive consumer purchases in a very big way. Today�s announcement should put any Android vendor that�s building a tablet on notice.�
    It really doesn't matter how good the Hardware is or how unique the OS is.... It is what can you do with it.

I know that the PlayBook has many features that a many people find to be important (Amazon is going after the other 98% of the market, just like Apple is...)

I'm amazed with what Amazon has been able to do with the stock Android OS in so little time. And how they have been able to get to pretty big Apps customized for their new tablets.

I really hope that RIM has a lot more than a new OS and updated hardware to show us in Jan.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-07-12 11:49 AM
    You missed the point and over generalized what they said. Comparing specs of two tablets released 1.5 yrs apart isn't the greatest analysis.
    Am I missing something, or didn't RIM just release another tablet in the 4G version? Or can we not compare that to the new version of the Kindle, simply because it took RIM 1.5 years to release a 4G version of their EXACT SAME tablet? As usual, the joke's on RIM (well actually, the joke IS RIM).

EDIT: I guess if ever BB10 is released to the PB, then the consumers will truly realize what a marvelous tablet the PB really is, and will, in mass exodus, drop their Kindle HD's, iPad mini's, MS Surface's and all come flocking back (if the fanbois are to be believed that is)
    Last edited by Rickroller; 09-07-12 at 12:07 PM.
    Syrous44 likes this.
    09-07-12 12:04 PM
    Am I missing something, or didn't RIM just release another tablet in the 4G version? Or can we not compare that to the new version of the Kindle, simply because it took RIM 1.5 years to release a 4G version of their EXACT SAME tablet? As usual, the joke's on RIM (well actually, the joke IS RIM).
    I don't think the hardware matters, since it's the software that counts these days, and the PB 4G doesn't bring anything ultra-new to the table in terms of software. Let's face it, Apple and Amazon have done a great job selling their eco-system, RIM has not.

You know, when you read Jobs' biography and how it details all the deals and time and effort that went in creating an ecosystem, you realize that a tablet is so much more than a piece of hardware. I believe RIM understood how important that was when they first release the PB, but since they had no content deals to speak of, they released it anyway. a 4G version doesn't change that.
    09-07-12 12:11 PM
    I don't think the hardware matters, since it's the software that counts these days, and the PB 4G doesn't bring anything ultra-new to the table in terms of software.
    I agree. What I was getting at was the people saying it's not fair to compare the new Amazon to a year old PB..when in fact their IS a new PB, in the 4G. It's not the consumer's fault that RIM chose to release a non-significant upgraded tablet while everyone else is stepping up their game.

But again, that's classic RIM
    09-07-12 12:17 PM
    These threads are so tiring. Dem tyad bad bad bad to rass #Headache
    Will we go over this everytime a comany releases a new tablet? Stop comparing the new to the old. How many times will people pronouce the damn tablet dead. RIM isnt even trying to make the tablet competitive anymore. They dont promote the product with ads... all they are trying to do is give us as users value for our money. They continue to support the tablet with updates and new features, the same cannot be said for other companies who spike up hardware to run on the same dead software! Except for perhaps apple.!!

There should be a term for this... #Technocide
    It would seem like you people are trying to erase the PB, just have every last one of them crash and burn... Then everyone would be happy? A Mod should seriously consider closing these kinda threads. They always end up with the same same old boring responses. Some people will continue to defend the playbook until the day it shuts off on them and others will continue to indefinitely hate the product.

What can RIM do about the app ecosystem that they havent already done? Hold a gun to devs heads and say create a fking app or ill blow ur fking brains out?
    esk369 likes this.
    09-07-12 12:22 PM
    Digtech I definitely agree but closing a thread is not a good thing why the whole cencorship thing?
    If people don't like or don't want to parcipatate they should just move on.
    09-07-12 12:46 PM
    Am I missing something, or didn't RIM just release another tablet in the 4G version?
    In canada.
    09-07-12 01:52 PM
    GPS in PlayBook is sort of fictional thing. Actually it never worked for me at all. Therefore I prefer to believe that GPS in PlayBook is present only 'on paper'.
    Really? Have you called RIM about your defective unit, because the GPS in my Playbook works great, even inside my dad's house which has concrete or something in the walls that blocks most signals from the outside. No am/fm radio reception, have to use wifi for my phone because I can't get a steady mobile signal for more than a few seconds, and forget 4g. But my PB's GPS works great, always locks on in about a minute or two.
    09-07-12 01:59 PM
    The entire concept of the Playbook was/is idiotic. Requiring bridging your phone, to get full functionaliity, is about the dumbest thing I've heard of .... it's destined to fail. Another "RIM job" ..... LMAO
    09-07-12 02:05 PM
    Let's face it, Apple and Amazon have done a great job selling their eco-system, RIM has not.
    RIM has an ecosystem? Your pulling our legs lol hahahahahah funny you got me. You meant to say Rim has to create and ecosystem to begin with. Thats their number 1 short coming that is causing their slow downfall.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    09-07-12 02:24 PM
    The entire concept of the Playbook was/is idiotic. Requiring bridging your phone, to get full functionaliity, is about the dumbest thing I've heard of .... it's destined to fail. Another "RIM job" ..... LMAO
    This comment was a failure. The whole point of the bridge was to give the user the ability to use the data plan from their phone without having an addition data plan. Something that other tablets will not allow you to do. Pretty good if you ask me. You obviously have know idea about this feature and have now made yourself look ignorant.
    09-07-12 03:15 PM
    blogs.computerworld.com/tablets/20953/amazon-kindle-fire-hd
    Good article.
    cman5 likes this.
    09-07-12 03:17 PM
    This comment was a failure. The whole point of the bridge was to give the user the ability to use the data plan from their phone without having an addition data plan. Something that other tablets will not allow you to do. Pretty good if you ask me. You obviously have know idea about this feature and have now made yourself look ignorant.
    Ask yourself this: is there BBM on the pb?
    Up until recently the pb didn't even have calender and contacts.
    Maybe you should get your facts straight before you go around calling peoples comments ignorant.
    09-07-12 03:23 PM
    why you think ads will pop up? I don't think it will happen. Have everyone tried those ad support kindle ereader? do ads pop up?
    They only appear on the Home screen and actually people don't mind them. They are tailored to your reading preferences and there are quite a few decent bargains. They are apparently quite inobtrusive. I don't have them on mine and I sometimes wish I did. The ad version is only available in the States. I wouldn't mind having recommendations for ebooks, currently I get all these by email.
    09-07-12 03:35 PM
    Actually the point of bridge was to make up for the (then) lack of PIM when the Playbook was first released. Since the Playbook was only really marketed to Blackberry users (OS7) they could get their PIM from their phone by bridging with everything run via one BB id. No email, calendar etc., on the Playbook was then not as much of an issue - at least temporarily.

And of course in that scenario RIM had to allow people to bridge with no additional data plan costs. It was good and I used it a lot, but it was more a work around to cover a gap. Once the PIM arrived on the Playbook I used the bridge less - although it was good for web browsing on the Playbook.
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 09-07-12 at 04:50 PM.
    09-07-12 04:46 PM
    I guess RIM has never heard of Wi-Fi....
    I've been using my Skyrocket as Wi-Fi hotspot for my Galaxy Tab.... no additional data plan required either....
    On a side note, since RIM only has about a 6% market share (and falling....), is it really wise to market a product exclusively to that dwindling clientele??
    09-07-12 05:33 PM
    He's 100% right. RIM was targeting only a very low number of customers with It's play book. In a few years blackberry will nowhere to b seen.
    09-07-12 05:43 PM
    In canada.
    What does it matter that they released a 4G Playbook in Canada? The point is just released something whose hardware can be fairly compared against the competition. The excuse of it being 1.5 years old doesn't apply.

Amazon is releasing new Kindles... in the US only. Doesn't mean we shouldn't compare it to the competitions offerings.
    09-07-12 05:45 PM
    I disagree. The Kindle Fire's USP is the Amazon ecosystem, which is crap in Canada. The Fire just isn't that good up here.

In the 7" space, you've got the PlayBook (I guess if you can afford to pay for separate LTE data, the $550 price isn't really a barrier), the Nexus 7, and the Kobo Arc in Canada.

In the US, the PlayBook is still a reasonable option, especially if the price hits $130 vs the 2012 non-HD Kindle at $160.
    09-07-12 06:46 PM
    I can see why it'd be good if you've bought books on a kindle before and have a reason to stick with amazon, but if you're someone like me who's never bought an ebook then there's no real incentive (I prefer proper books, but each to their own)

I don't really feel the need to compare the 2 myself, I have a playbook, it does what I want it to. Yes if you're new to the market and are looking for your first tablet you might prefer the kindle because of the name, that's fair enough, that's what choice is all about.
    09-07-12 07:02 PM
    Ask yourself this: is there BBM on the pb?
    Up until recently the pb didn't even have calender and contacts.
    Maybe you should get your facts straight before you go around calling peoples comments ignorant.

What are you talking about. BBM was not even mentioned in either post, so your comment that it is not on the PlayBook is correct but just a random statement. Your second point of not having a calender or contacts until recently is also random. Nowhere was that mentioned, however, that was the point of the bridge, to retrieve it through your phone. I have had my Playbook for about 6-7 months and have always had calender and contacts so with that point you are wrong. My facts are straight and I do know what I am talking about. My opinion of why bridging is used may be different from other peoples but it is not a stupid idea. Most people that I know that use it find it very useful.
    Last edited by xtech22; 09-07-12 at 08:22 PM.
    09-07-12 08:20 PM
    The only reason I would refresh my tablet would be to get a faster processor, although this one it's pretty good already, but my main thing would be a MUCH better screen, like retina display or even kindle hd, sounds so tempting, but my playbook os is the feature to.stay around and after all.
    09-07-12 08:46 PM
    Yes RIM has failed. But really, has anyone else done well? Apple yes. Google Android? No, maybe Nexus 7, but they still aren't bragging numbers. Kindle Fire? Not sure either.

When I got the PlayBook in November 2011, I thought it was the best tablet for the price and size. In November 2012, will it be the best for the price? Can't say, but it will be a year older, a lifetime for tech gadgets.
    With all due respect... Have you not seen the numbers? Kindle Fire is the best selling 7" Tablet out there. My wife has one and every now and then I will pick it up and go on Netflix. I did a lot of research before purchasing my PlayBook and I wish I had just waited. I now have a Twitter / Facebook machine... I have learned to love Groovy Notes, News360 and a couple of other apps, like Blaq... But Consumers want a device that has a little bit of everything! Ads aren't going to stop people from purchasing the new Fire HD..I'm waiting to see if the iPad Mini is $200-250 before buying my next tablet.
    09-07-12 10:09 PM
    What are you talking about. BBM was not even mentioned in either post, so your comment that it is not on the PlayBook is correct but just a random statement. Your second point of not having a calender or contacts until recently is also random. Nowhere was that mentioned, however, that was the point of the bridge, to retrieve it through your phone. I have had my Playbook for about 6-7 months and have always had calender and contacts so with that point you are wrong. My facts are straight and I do know what I am talking about. My opinion of why bridging is used may be different from other peoples but it is not a stupid idea. Most people that I know that use it find it very useful.
    Read what you said in your post carefully, you said the point of bridge was for connection to data. That is true however it's main focus was to offer functionality to things like BBM and native calender, etc. You said the comment about bridge being stupid was "ignorant", you are wrong. It was completely stupid to not have those features built into the playbook. My comment makes perfect sense and is not random, you just read it as it was without backtracking to what you said earlier, how's that for "ignorance"?
    09-07-12 10:30 PM
    With all due respect... Have you not seen the numbers? Kindle Fire is the best selling 7" Tablet out there. My wife has one and every now and then I will pick it up and go on Netflix. I did a lot of research before purchasing my PlayBook and I wish I had just waited. I now have a Twitter / Facebook machine... I have learned to love Groovy Notes, News360 and a couple of other apps, like Blaq... But Consumers want a device that has a little bit of everything! Ads aren't going to stop people from purchasing the new Fire HD..I'm waiting to see if the iPad Mini is $200-250 before buying my next tablet.
    What numbers? Amazon has never released numbers. If you look at ad impression, the Nook Tablet has higher numbers. In fact, the PlayBook has higher numbers then the Kindle Fire.
    masqueofhastur likes this.
    09-08-12 12:02 AM
124 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD